NBC Sports Edge Forums

Joel Embiid 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the schedule being more demanding this year maybe they take it even easier on him? I can never trust Embiid.

Username does not check out.

He's definitely improved, specifically with his handling of double teams. He is grasping the right timing with when to pass and who to pass to out of them, triggering rotations and opening things up f

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Wise guy said:

Dud game coming up.. 

Resting tomorrow’s game will just be rubbing salt in the wounds too! 

Instead he balled out knowing he gets a game off tomorrow lol

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Never owned him before this year. Is this stretch to open the season just random noise or is he slightly improved this year, by your estimation?

He's definitely improved, specifically with his handling of double teams. He is grasping the right timing with when to pass and who to pass to out of them, triggering rotations and opening things up for the whole team. And if the other teams choose not to double because of all the shooters they have, well he's still one of the best post up scorers in the league so he will destroy you one on one. He's also developed a great two man game with Seth, lots of screen assists and handoffs.

On the defensive side he's always been a really good interior defender, and that looks like it'll continue this year. He's got really good timing defending pick and roll and as a shot blocker. I'm looking at his historical block steal numbers and 1 stl 1.8 blocks per game doesn't seem like an unachievable average.

Anecdotally he also looks like he's in great shape, slimmer than he has been in previous years. I haven't seen him play in previous seasons but he has looked very aggressive to me in the early going, really looking to attack the defense, get to the rim and draw fouls (his FTA are up by 1.1 so far). I'm not sure whether all this means that he plays over 60 games this year, but it also wouldn't surprise me either.

One last point on the FG%, it's currently 52.8%, because he's shooting a career high FG% on shots between 3 - 10 feet and 16 - 3P range. Not sure that holds up so maybe 48% to 49% is a more realistic RoS estimate, but I could be wrong. It wouldn't surprise me to see him end up in the early second round range, even late first if that FG finishes above 50%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, MalevolentMelon said:

He's definitely improved, specifically with his handling of double teams. He is grasping the right timing with when to pass and who to pass to out of them, triggering rotations and opening things up for the whole team. And if the other teams choose not to double because of all the shooters they have, well he's still one of the best post up scorers in the league so he will destroy you one on one. He's also developed a great two man game with Seth, lots of screen assists and handoffs.

On the defensive side he's always been a really good interior defender, and that looks like it'll continue this year. He's got really good timing defending pick and roll and as a shot blocker. I'm looking at his historical block steal numbers and 1 stl 1.8 blocks per game doesn't seem like an unachievable average.

Anecdotally he also looks like he's in great shape, slimmer than he has been in previous years. I haven't seen him play in previous seasons but he has looked very aggressive to me in the early going, really looking to attack the defense, get to the rim and draw fouls (his FTA are up by 1.1 so far). I'm not sure whether all this means that he plays over 60 games this year, but it also wouldn't surprise me either.

One last point on the FG%, it's currently 52.8%, because he's shooting a career high FG% on shots between 3 - 10 feet and 16 - 3P range. Not sure that holds up so maybe 48% to 49% is a more realistic RoS estimate, but I could be wrong. It wouldn't surprise me to see him end up in the early second round range, even late first if that FG finishes above 50%.

I agree with everything you said. He was very involved in the process (did you see what I did there? :D) of hiring the new head coach. Even vetoed Ty Lue by some accounts. Also, not being in the All-NBA team last season was a welcome kick to his backside. He looks much more fired up than last season.

15 hours ago, MalevolentMelon said:

Good assessment.  If the improvements stick he is a bonafied 1st rounder.  Seeing him play a B2B is an even bigger boon to his overall value though.  

24 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

I am holding my expectations tonight. Feel like the Sixers are gonna destroy the Nets and bring on the garbage crew. Hope he grabs his stats early.

quite the opposite lol

• Haha 1