NBC Sports Edge Forums

Andre Drummond 2020-2021 Outlook

With Tristan Thompson gone from Cleveland and this being Drummond's contract year, what kind of numbers do you predict from him and where would you rank him in your pre-draft rankings?

He only played 8 games in Cleveland, and his stats were a bit down, especially minutes and rebounding.  Would you worry about him being an early shut down candidate with Cleveland tanking or being traded before the deadline since the Cavs may lose him and have nothing to show for it after this season?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the story of how Jarrett Allen ended up in Cleveland.

Be looking like a Raptor with those tiny a** short arms. Foo needs to block more. 

Gotta echo a ton of y'all here, as someone who owns Drummond in multiple leagues and is forced to watch his games: Drummond isn't exactly fast or mobile, and that's exacerbated by his lack of eff

10 minutes ago, magic32 said:

With Tristan Thompson gone from Cleveland and this being Drummond's contract year, what kind of numbers do you predict from him and where would you rank him in your pre-draft rankings?

He only played 8 games in Cleveland, and his stats were a bit down, especially minutes and rebounding.  Would you worry about him being an early shut down candidate with Cleveland tanking or being traded before the deadline since the Cavs may lose him and have nothing to show for it after this season?

He will do pistons pre Blake numbers but he still is a shut down candidate. If he plays really well all season up to February/early March and the cavs are in last place he knows he proved he’s getting his money.  Put me in coach? Hell no SHUT ME DOWN COOOACH!!! I smell the truck filled with 100 dollar bills backing up to my house!!

17 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

He will do pistons pre Blake numbers but he still is a shut down candidate. If he plays really well all season up to February/early March and the cavs are in last place he knows he proved he’s getting his money.  Put me in coach? Hell no SHUT ME DOWN COOOACH!!! I smell the truck filled with 100 dollar bills backing up to my house!!

But everyone already knows what he's capable of. His biggest problem is he's more of an old skool big man, that rebounds and protects the rim, but doesn't shoot or space the floor. I want to pick him for his elite rebounding and other stats, but obviously scared for his FT% in roto, since you can't tank there. And the shutdown/trade situations scare me too.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, magic32 said:

But everyone already knows what he's capable of. His biggest problem is he's more of an old skool big man, that rebounds and protects the rim, but doesn't shoot or space the floor. I want to pick him for his elite rebounding and other stats, but obviously scared for his FT% in roto, since you can't tank there. And the shutdown/trade situations scare me too.

Yup. Right on point.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly don't know what to make of his situation right now...

In mock drafts, I'm seeing him being taken anywhere between Pick 35 - 50, which, seems like a steal if he posts anywhere close to last years "DET" numbers.

But he's on what is likely one of the worst teams in the league, and I would argue that he's a legitimate shutdown candidate come the end of the season.

If he's able to average 16 PPG / 14 REB / 1.5 STL / 1.5 BLK, he's going to be an absolute steal if he drops to you around ADP 40-50.

Definitely think he's one of the "bigger values" this year. 

5 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Honestly don't know what to make of his situation right now...

In mock drafts, I'm seeing him being taken anywhere between Pick 35 - 50, which, seems like a steal if he posts anywhere close to last years "DET" numbers.

But he's on what is likely one of the worst teams in the league, and I would argue that he's a legitimate shutdown candidate come the end of the season.

If he's able to average 16 PPG / 14 REB / 1.5 STL / 1.5 BLK, he's going to be an absolute steal if he drops to you around ADP 40-50.

Definitely think he's one of the "bigger values" this year. 

Yeah I feel the same, I really dont know where to put him. I have done alot of Mock Drafts and his draft range is wide.

I had him last year and he was a Beast until the Trade, Luckily I picked up Wood early enough so that I could compensate that.

1 minute ago, SilenceTS said:

Yeah I feel the same, I really dont know where to put him. I have done alot of Mock Drafts and his draft range is wide.

I had him last year and he was a Beast until the Trade, Luckily I picked up Wood early enough so that I could compensate that.

Yeah. I feel like he might be great to draft if you can get him at ADP 40-50, and then flip him mid-season for someone else.

I feel like he’s one more year away from being Whiteside, which still is valuable in fantasy but IRL is a guy teams don’t have any real interest in. I like Drummond, I appreciate old school bigs who rebound, but he just doesn’t fit in the league today and as a result, his fantasy value is always gonna be inconsistent, like Whiteside.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Yeah. I feel like he might be great to draft if you can get him at ADP 40-50, and then flip him mid-season for someone else.

actually thats not a bad idea. But I think you would have to offer 2 Players then, so people dont think its suspicious. So kinda hide what youre doing

10 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

I feel like he’s one more year away from being Whiteside, which still is valuable in fantasy but IRL is a guy teams don’t have any real interest in. I like Drummond, I appreciate old school bigs who rebound, but he just doesn’t fit in the league today and as a result, his fantasy value is always gonna be inconsistent, like Whiteside.

I feel the same way. Whiteside puts up massive numbers but his skillset just doesn't have a place in the modern NBA. It's the same with Drummond. Monster rebound but doesn't play defense, can't shoot, not really a great post-up guy, doesn't seem to play with a lot of hustle. After his stint with Cleveland, what team is gonna give him a big contract again?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, fabrar said:

I feel the same way. Whiteside puts up massive numbers but his skillset just doesn't have a place in the modern NBA. It's the same with Drummond. Monster rebound but doesn't play defense, can't shoot, not really a great post-up guy, doesn't seem to play with a lot of hustle. After his stint with Cleveland, what team is gonna give him a big contract again?

Yup, exactly. I would argue his defense is somewhat underrated but other than that you said it. He’ll just bounce around the league and his fantasy numbers will be up in the air. He’ll land on a couple teams that help his numbers and fantasy owners hit gold, then he’ll land on teams where he doesn’t fit and he struggles and owners hate him. He doesn’t have much dynasty value to me but in redraft he could be something nice year to year. This is one of those years where I will let someone else go get him. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Thats probably why he stayed with cleveland. It really seemed like nobody else wanted him under these conditions.

5 minutes ago, SilenceTS said:

Thats probably why he stayed with cleveland. It really seemed like nobody else wanted him under these conditions.

He only stayed in Cleveland to secure the 29 million dollar bag. He knew he wasn’t getting that anywhere else and I doubt he gets it ever again either. I’d take 29 million and a chance to put up empty numbers on a trash Cleveland team in hopes of fooling someone else for a big contract too. It was a no brainer move IMO.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

I believe he shot some threes last season so maybe he surprises and adjusts to the new NBA. Contract year so he will ball out 

He tried that already and it went from bad to worst 😅

This guy is going to demand touches and feast in Cleveland, particularly with Tristan gone. Another top-25 year is very likely. Only concern is a late season trade. Shutdown risks are overstated if there is no high-end prospect ready to step in and take minutes. Cleveland doesn't have any one that they would rather see play centre down the stretch. 

17/15/1.7steals/1.1 blocks on 53% fg

An ADP of 48 is crazy. I'm taking him at 30 and considering it at 19. Likely going to punt ft% taking Giannis at 6 which makes Drummond all the more appealing.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, apatas said:

30 is OK, but I think at 19 you can get better players.

no reason to reach for him that early as you'll likely find him later in the draft, but if you're in a points league or playing head to head and punting ft%...he can be a top 15 player. He's a guy i'm definitely targeting for the advantage he'll bring as a 3rd or 4th round talent that can produce first round value.

I love Drummond at his current ADP but by no means is there no risk. He’s on a bad team with zero hope of competing. Any slight soreness and he’s out, he could be traded at any moment and they may play Mcgee more than we think. They could play Nance over him during stretches.

I think its understated how bad of a defender Drummond has been in recent years and they can go away from him at any moment. Cleveland has been a fantasy wasteland since Lebron left and thats the biggest risk here.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Same old stock monster who leads the league in rebounds and reliably gives you 17-20 points a night on good fg%. If you are punting ft% even better. He changed uniforms but still plays on a poor team in a depleted division. Top big on the board after the standard guys are taken in the first round). 

5 hours ago, justaguy said:

Same old stock monster who leads the league in rebounds and reliably gives you 17-20 points a night on good fg%. If you are punting ft% even better. He changed uniforms but still plays on a poor team in a depleted division. Top big on the board after the standard guys are taken in the first round). 

I hope you're right, but if you're basing this at all on tonight's box score, the first thing I noticed is that Kevin Love didnt play. Not quite sure how that dynamic is going to play out this year.

Why only 27 minutes? It was a close game, he wasn't in foul trouble and Kevin Love didn't even play. Every other starter got at least 32 minutes. 

why did he play 34 minutes a game last year in Detroit even with Christian Wood there, but only 28 in Cleveland?

When Love plays, they'll want to give Nance minutes as well, and go with neither Drummond or Javale at Center at times, which could be even less minutes for Drummond. Unbelievable. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Andre Drummond 2020-2021 Outlook