NBC Sports Edge Forums

DeAndre Ayton 2020-2021 Outlook

47 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

This reminds me of the Anthony Davis thread. Look, Ayton is incredibly talented and will eventually find his rhythm. He’s too good not to. Phoenix has gotten off to a rough start. Booker isn’t exactly what we thought he would be. Ayton’s numbers are down and he leaves a lot to be desired. CP3 looks washed, sort of. But all three of these guys will play better and Ayton will benefit. I see people above mocking CP3’s presence. Are we really gonna go there and say CP3 doesn’t help his bigs get numbers? Ayton will be fine. People, especially those in keeper or dynasty leagues, need to have patience. The sky isn’t falling. In redraft I understand if you want to move on but I can see Ayton having a big 2nd half as that whole Phoenix squad figures itself out and makes a run at the playoffs.

LOL rough start? They are 7-4. Two losses recently came to trash teams but overall they have been superb. Problem is the coach like Walton did to Bagley has killed all confidence. Yesterday a few times, DA had the ball near the rim and was scared to shoot it. Coach would rather run plays for Crowder or Johnson than his former 1st overall pick. We always have a laugh at busts but without proper coaching that's a given. 

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please God, let this game be a sign of the things to come and I promise I will never watch that weird Japanese p*rn stuff I was watching lately  🙏

This is why you never panic 2-3 weeks into the season, especially on healthy, young studs who have put up great seasons before. Especially for a 22 year old former #1 overall draft pick coming off an

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

LOL rough start? They are 7-4. Two losses recently came to trash teams but overall they have been superb. Problem is the coach like Walton did to Bagley has killed all confidence. Yesterday a few times, DA had the ball near the rim and was scared to shoot it. Coach would rather run plays for Crowder or Johnson than his former 1st overall pick. We always have a laugh at busts but without proper coaching that's a given. 

You can’t be playing superb coming off losses to two trash teams. But regardless, we’ll see with Ayton. I’m not worried. 

4 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

You can’t be playing superb coming off losses to two trash teams. But regardless, we’ll see with Ayton. I’m not worried. 

Ok so u're not worried. Great confidence booster. Tnx for that, really

I'm just curious... Mmmm when does the panic mode kicks in with u ? What does it take, just curious ? 

3 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Ok so u're not worried. Great confidence booster. Tnx for that, really

I'm just curious... Mmmm when does the panic mode kicks in with u ? What does it take, just curious ? 

when half a season goes by and ayton is still not getting looks

11 games with 2 20+ point games is not time to panic.. once again, he only reached 20 points ONCE in his first 8 games last year. 

Edited by BykeINIT
  • Haha 1

The problem is he is a pretty points dependent big man. He gets rebounds but not like Drummond or Gobert where they bring value alone and his block numbers are pretty bad for a guy like him. Both the Bridges average more blocks per game FFS. His assists and steals are what you would expect from a big man but his blocks are lacking and his rebounds are unremarkable.

So you really need him to be dropping 20+ PPG at a minimum to deliver on where most people drafted him. Good luck with that...

• Like 1

This isn't on Ayton or Paul or Crowder.  Ayton is taking less shots because I would imagine that is what the coaching staff wants. Bridges and Johnson's shots meanwhile have increased from last year.

Now should he ask to be more involved? Sure he can do that.  But they are currently 3rd in the West, so he probably thinks why should I rock the boat when we are winning doing it this way.  I completely understand that.

From a fantasy perspective, I get it that it is frustrating considering where he was drafted.  I would like to believe he will be more involved eventually. His FG% is actually higher than last year so this isn't a make/miss he is struggling issue.  But maybe he doesn't get more involved and this is his new norm.  He is still useful currently, just not 2nd round useful.   

So for anyone concerned that has him, I think it is completely valid to be so.  If I had him, I would give it another week or two to see if this is his new norm before looking to sell.

3 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Maybe he is right after all. Monty Williams said he’s going to take a deep look at the starters, implying he’s not happy with the team’s play. 

Can’t imagine what changes he’ll make besides benching Crowder but for who? They need Cam Johnson’s shooting in the second unit  Saric? Does that help Ayton?

4 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

I'm not gonna reply to the Ayton part, but don't pin it on Walton that Bagley sucks. This is classic fantasy players not watching the games or only paying attention to stats and just falling into memes.

I don't think this is an AC question, but what type of value would you guys be looking for for Ayton? Would you be down for something like Capela + end of the type player. Not an owner but thinking of getting him though the pessimism in here is making me question myself

4 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

I don't think this is an AC question, but what type of value would you guys be looking for for Ayton? Would you be down for something like Capela + end of the type player. Not an owner but thinking of getting him though the pessimism in here is making me question myself

I just received an offer. Mine Ayton and Smart for Zack LaVine

25 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

I'm not gonna reply to the Ayton part, but don't pin it on Walton that Bagley sucks. This is classic fantasy players not watching the games or only paying attention to stats and just falling into memes.

What players are under Walton have been good ill wait..... He did jack sh** for Lonzo, Ingram, Bagley, Fox, Hield the guy is a joke and you defending him says it all adios amigo 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

The problem is he is a pretty points dependent big man. He gets rebounds but not like Drummond or Gobert where they bring value alone and his block numbers are pretty bad for a guy like him. Both the Bridges average more blocks per game FFS. His assists and steals are what you would expect from a big man but his blocks are lacking and his rebounds are unremarkable.

So you really need him to be dropping 20+ PPG at a minimum to deliver on where most people drafted him. Good luck with that...

11 rebounds is pretty remarkable 

3 hours ago, BykeINIT said:

11 rebounds is pretty remarkable 

I was gonna say, he’s a pretty decent rebounder. Block numbers have trended up as well.

@Stefan I’ll be worried about halfway through like the poster above said. I know many will think that’s way too late but Ayton owners aren’t in a position of leverage right now anyways. Why sell him off low to watch him have a big 2nd half? I’d rather hold and hope he trends up, which I think he will. Too many fantasy players sell off low after a month or two just to watch that player have a great 2nd half. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, BykeINIT said:

yup

someone in here laughed because i traded jarret allen for him! a player i picked @ 110 for a second rounder LOL

there’s no way ayton doesn’t get better as the season progresses .. we’re only 11 games in. 

in his first 8 games last season, he only scored 20 points once..... he’ll be fine. might not meet his 2nd round adp, but 3rd-4th round value is coming soon. 

Damn, you did that trade in the end? I wonder how many Ayton owners would prefer allen over DA

2 hours ago, Em-City said:

Damn, you did that trade in the end? I wonder how many Ayton owners would prefer allen over DA

i hope not many 

jarret allen had 6 points and 5 rebounds today with durant back 🙂

• Haha 1

He is underperforming but not like he is that bad. I dont mind his lack of scoring but the stocks should be way up, like double up. I got him in 3rd round of my draft. If he stays healthy and plays a full season I still think he can get back that value by the end. 

5 minutes ago, L3onD said:

lets see if this lineup change gets him going...monty specifically mentioned they need to get him going

First time watching them live all season.

They're making a focus to getting him the ball early and often. He missed a few easy ones but he also dropped stepped and crammed one. Looking active out there

3 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Yup ...feels like he's being too "cute" 

dude is laying the ball instead going hard at the rim...itll take time but hell be fine