NBC Sports Edge Forums

DeAndre Ayton 2020-2021 Outlook

Haven’t watched too much Suns but I’m damn shocked how soft he is around the rim. Ayton looks bigger than pretty much anyone out there and every time he catches in the post his first instinct is to seemingly pass and when he doesn’t pass you get no aggression on the shot. Does he have terrible coaching or what? He had Robinson/Howard/Cousins type comparison but he looks closer to someone like Gasol out there without as good of a touch. 

Not trying to hate on him. I loved Ayton out of college and still love his potential but man his play style makes zero sense. His size combined with touch should make him a guaranteed 20 PPG guy at the minimum. I’m going to blame the coaching for royally ******** up this mans development because there’s no other explanation for the regression. They really have this man playing some wack a** game instead of what he should be playing which is closer to what Cousins did to the Kings. I don’t even own him but man f--- this usage. It’s criminal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please God, let this game be a sign of the things to come and I promise I will never watch that weird Japanese p*rn stuff I was watching lately  🙏

This is why you never panic 2-3 weeks into the season, especially on healthy, young studs who have put up great seasons before. Especially for a 22 year old former #1 overall draft pick coming off an

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Haven’t watched too much Suns but I’m damn shocked how soft he is around the rim. Ayton looks bigger than pretty much anyone out there and every time he catches in the post his first instinct is to seemingly pass and when he doesn’t pass you get no aggression on the shot. Does he have terrible coaching or what? He had Robinson/Howard/Cousins type comparison but he looks closer to someone like Gasol out there without as good of a touch. 

Not trying to hate on him. I loved Ayton out of college and still love his potential but man his play style makes zero sense. His size combined with touch should make him a guaranteed 20 PPG guy at the minimum. I’m going to blame the coaching for royally ******** up this mans development because there’s no other explanation for the regression. They really have this man playing some wack a** game instead of what he should be playing which is closer to what Cousins did to the Kings. I don’t even own him but man f--- this usage. It’s criminal. 

10-17 not so bad. I’ll take it

He’s actually been playing much better as of late.

DeAndre is a big baby,  22 years old. Give it time

He defers too much , needs that Alpha mentality 

1 hour ago, RunCMC said:

10-17 not so bad. I’ll take it

He’s actually been playing much better as of late.

DeAndre is a big baby,  22 years old. Give it time

He defers too much , needs that Alpha mentality 

Over his last 5 he’s averaging 12 PPG. So I don’t know how much better he’s really playing. That’s Naz Reid points. Ayton shouldn’t average Naz Reid points over any 5 game stretch.

I agree he’s young but bad habits die hard. It’s not something more simple like fix a jumper or cut down turnovers. It’s his entire play style and mentality. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Over his last 5 he’s averaging 12 PPG. So I don’t know how much better he’s really playing. That’s Naz Reid points. Ayton shouldn’t average Naz Reid points over any 5 game stretch.

I agree he’s young but bad habits die hard. It’s not something more simple like fix a jumper or cut down turnovers. It’s his entire play style and mentality. 

Last 14 days: 16ppg

Last 30 days: 15ppg

On the season:  14ppg

Slumps happen, I'll take the bigger sample size over the last few games. 

He's improving. More faith less whining trust . 

Don't get me wrong I'm not happy about it. Especially considering where most of us got him

Edited by RunCMC
  • Like 1

The difference is CP3 and his usage, the addition of Crowder, along with the increased role of Mikal and Cam. Last season he was the 2nd option behind Booker undoubtedly after he returned from suspension. This season he is more often than not the 3rd option behind Booker and CP3.

Also found this article:

https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-chris-paul-deandre-ayton-looking-to-recreate-lob-city-magic/

I hope the coaching staff sees that Ayton is more gifted offensively than DJ, not just a pick and roll/rim runner. CP3 is known for holding on to the ball until the last moment for an assist, either through the pick 'n roll or pick and pop. Ayton led the league in post touches last season, which was his bread and butter, but post touches so far have decreased this season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched a game last night, and he is not aggressive. I really wish PHX focused using him in the post more or atleast hit him on some pick and roll. I drafted him with anticipation of the CP3 effect. He doesn't look aggressive. Chris paul is shooting more than an I anticipated, along with the rotational players particularly Miles Bridges.

3 hours ago, DepressedKnicksFan said:

Watched a game last night, and he is not aggressive. I really wish PHX focused using him in the post more or atleast hit him on some pick and roll. I drafted him with anticipation of the CP3 effect. He doesn't look aggressive. Chris paul is shooting more than an I anticipated, along with the rotational players particularly Miles Bridges.

This.  CP3 looks like he is playing for a 5 yr contract.  He is doing nothing to unleash Ayton.

5 hours ago, DepressedKnicksFan said:

CP3 isn’t shooting more than he has throughout his career. He’s still below his career average. I mean it’s slightly higher than the last two seasons but he was never going to take a Rondo like approach. 13 attempts per game isn’t that high. 

He’s basically a glorified screener and putback artist. They never post him up so that full arsenal of offensive moves is just rotting away, he has such a nice looking jumper too.  They gave him the ball on the post ONCE in the 4th qtr he just immediately shot a turnaround jumper with no rythm and of course missed. He’s gonna have good games cause he’s really active most of the time but he’s like the 4th offensive option after Booker, CP3 and any other shooter out on the floor. I don’t see him averaging the 18ppg he did last year, he might even average less points than the 16ppg he had on his rookie year. 

I don't think ayton is a good pnr guy... as someone mentioned before, he mostly ends up running into paul on his roll. Even if there is a mismatch created, no one is feeding him to the post. I am not sure if that's part of the monty's gameplan or just bad practice from those ball-hoggers. Not too optimistic... I wish they lost more and realise how bad monty is as a coach. mikal bridges turns into a blackhole too (just saying from his playstyle this year)

Edited by sasuke7201

Suns offense is literallt thr worst fhcking thing to watch....pick n roll and then swing it to booker or cp3 and shoot....they DO NOT look for ayton...trade ayton for a top 50-60 guy is ur best bet

• Haha 1