NBC Sports Edge Forums

Donovan Mitchell 2020-2021 Outlook

I can't take him 3rd round, because he's not a 3rd round player. He returns 5th round value. It's simple. Maybe 4th, but that's just maybe and he prolly gone by then. I like watching him play basketball, but don't like him in my team. His fantasy game is mostly about points,3s and ft%.  Also don't think his steals go up again at 1.5. 

• Like 1

He's being taken late 2nd and early 3rd in my mocks but that's a little rich for me. I don't like spending my first 2 picks on a guard that doesn't provide a lot of assists or steals. He's a 4th-5th rounder to me. 

• Like 3

I don't see him lasting until the 5th (standard leagues) because of his elite source of scoring.

Him & Brandon Ingram are going to jump off the board because of this.

When he isn't hitting 3s nor hitting FTs, his value can get pretty rough.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

He's your classic elite scorer with less than elite counting stats who will probably get drafted above his true value due to being an offensive juggernaut who's a thrill to watch. On the other hand, he's missed like 10 games in 3 seasons so his production should be as consistent as anyone's and there's value in that. In the off chance that his epic playoff run translates to upgraded confidence, maybe he goes brad beal on us, but I try to avoid guys early whose value is mostly tied to scoring unless they're extremely efficient. Last year's splits were 45/37/86, which is good but the fg% could easily regress into "not good" territory

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

He's been so disappointing. Literally hasn't improved since his sophomore season, seems like a perennial 24/4/4 guy. And he's having a tough time getting there too this year lmao

Might be an unpopular opinion, but Mitchell's been straight a** since Ricky Rubio left the team. Rubio brought out the best in Mitchell by forcing him to move off the ball and orchestrating his teammates where to go. Nowadays, it just seems like it's iso after iso after iso and the best shot he gets is a contested fadeaway. 

9 minutes ago, 80version said:

Should have just drafted Sexton a few rounds later.  

could say that for alot of under performing guards. cough booker

he was a floor play. and hes not going to shoot 38% 77% all year.

good news is more 3's and 3pt attempts, dimes up as well. was hoping for random bump in steals but not looking like it will happen

On 12/14/2020 at 1:29 PM, mattshhh said:

He's your classic elite scorer with less than elite counting stats who will probably get drafted above his true value due to being an offensive juggernaut who's a thrill to watch. On the other hand, he's missed like 10 games in 3 seasons so his production should be as consistent as anyone's and there's value in that. In the off chance that his epic playoff run translates to upgraded confidence, maybe he goes brad beal on us, but I try to avoid guys early whose value is mostly tied to scoring unless they're extremely efficient. Last year's splits were 45/37/86, which is good but the fg% could easily regress into "not good" territory

Damn basically a crystal ball

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Career high on 3p%, career high on points, career high on ast, career high on blocks... If you are not happy with him now, you will not be happy with him this season. Period.

He can improve on his turnovers by 0.5, other than that its what he is.

10 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

Career high on 3p%, career high on points, career high on ast, career high on blocks... If you are not happy with him now, you will not be happy with him this season. Period.

He can improve on his turnovers by 0.5, other than that its what he is.

I agree with most of your statement but he's still young, he can still evolve his game and improve in getting to the line more and stealing 1+. If he learns to get the line more often, that boost his overall pts avg and increase his rank by the volume of his ft. This is 9 cat i'm speaking of at least.

this is not me hating him, this is just something i noticed in watching him these past 4 years

everytime he starts off bad and seems he cannot get into his rhytm, he plays passively and seems like he has no energy, shoots even tougher shots and doesnt even try going to the hole...dude is capable of going on a rampage every time he has the ball in his hands, hes a great player and one of my fav guys to watch even tho i cannot stand utah

i know he came from the concussion protocol but this is so evident and might be the first time i agree with shaqs comments on some of these younger guys (he really is a lame old hater tho, i cannot argue with that)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Point Mitchell is actually good, Conley injury might be a blessing in disguise. He needs to continue to play like this after Conley returns. Jazz look like a complete team, shooters everywhere (Conley, Mitchell, Ingles, Bojan, Clarkson), best defensive center in the league in Gobert, and this year's Sixth Man of the Year (Clarkson). 

• Like 1