NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Blake Snell 2021 Outlook

Fbaseballgod

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Now You Are the Master

Just give it a K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.  His next 2 are At Mets Fri Vs deGrom and  AT Rockies. If the Padres were smart they push him back to Home Reds on Thursday next week. Then I beleieve if he goes every 5th day from there till ASB he will have 4 homes starts and 1 road.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, slowride said:

Well I rolled the dice with a road start thinking he could handle the Mets.  I was wrong.  Only Home starts going forward regardless of Road opponent strength.  Owning him just flat out sucks.

Those dice were loaded with advice right here saying don’t do that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I didn’t even think this guy was any good at home but just looked at his numbers and he’s been decent.  Such an easy play - literally always bench on the road and start at home.

Now You Are The Master

• Haha 1

Not including today's stats, Blake snell entering today had a .393 obp against for 2nd time through order. Looks likely over .400 now.

It’s amazing to think about, in the middle innings it’s like every hitter he faces is a hall of fame talent. And batters eat a** more than ever this year. Truly incredible.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Not including today's stats, Blake snell entering today had a .393 obp against for 2nd time through order. Looks likely over .400 now.

It’s amazing to think about, in the middle innings it’s like every hitter he faces is a hall of fame talent. And batters eat a** more than ever this year. Truly incredible.

All I got from this is "elite closer in near future!"

You know how most baseball broadcast intros bring up shallow crap like "his ERA is a run better at home than on the road"? Well, Blake Snell's would be "his ERA is eight runs better at home than on the road."

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Since his cy young season he had been so inconsistent. 

And Before. This guy is the poster boy for one year wonder.

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

And Before. This guy is the poster boy for one year wonder.

In the previous four years before going to the Padres he had a:

3.17 ERA/1.16 WHIP/10.59 k per 9 innings pitched < this includes the 2019 year where he had a suspect season

While he certainly has struggled this year, those past four years are not indicative of a "one year wonder" remotely;  consistently pitching against one of the harder divisions in the game.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

I've seen extreme home/away splits before, but this is ridiculous.

The dude is Cy Young at home, position player turned pitcher on the road.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=snellbl01&year=2021&t=p

Split    W    L    W-L%    ERA    G    GS    GF    CG    SHO    SV    IP    H    R    ER    HR    BB    IBB    SO    HBP    BK    WP    BF    WHIP    SO9    SO/W

Home    2    0    1.000    1.65    6    6    0    0    0    0    32.2    19    7    6    3    13    1    50    0    0    0    132    0.980    13.8    3.85

Away    0    3    .000    10.36    8    8    0    0    0    0    28.2    40    33    33    7    24    0    35    1    1    5    148    2.233    11.0    1.46

Edited by dicka24
  • Like 1

Redraft league drafters this season are not enjoying this. The value that one likely had to pay is far from what Snell is giving us. Stating the obvious of course. 

Edited by k.k.

2 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

In the previous four years before going to the Padres he had a:

3.17 ERA/1.16 WHIP/10.59 k per 9 innings pitched < this includes the 2019 year where he had a suspect season

While he certainly has struggled this year, those past four years are not indicative of a "one year wonder" remotely;  consistently pitching against one of the harder divisions in the game.

I disagree if you take away his Cy Young year he has been average at best. That was his only season where he won more games than he lost, except for last year in a shortened season when he only stated 11 games and only managed 50 innings.. If you take away the Cy Young year he's an average pitcher with a lot of K's. I believe his ERA would be over 4.00. He Also rarely makes it into the 6th inning.  He has averaged 5.04 innings per start in his career. Hardly elite. Pretty average.  A one year wonder is exactly how you describe a guy like Snell. The AL East was not that hard. He had 2 good teams and two lousy ones. The Jays and Orioles have sucked since 2017. He only had to face them one year when they were good in 2016 and for the last 2 years the Red Sox were not good either.

3 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I've seen extreme home/away splits before, but this is ridiculous.

The dude is Cy Young at home, position player turned pitcher on the road.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=snellbl01&year=2021&t=p

Split    W    L    W-L%    ERA    G    GS    GF    CG    SHO    SV    IP    H    R    ER    HR    BB    IBB    SO    HBP    BK    WP    BF    WHIP    SO9    SO/W

Home    2    0    1.000    1.65    6    6    0    0    0    0    32.2    19    7    6    3    13    1    50    0    0    0    132    0.980    13.8    3.85

Away    0    3    .000    10.36    8    8    0    0    0    0    28.2    40    33    33    7    24    0    35    1    1    5    148    2.233    11.0    1.46

He’s always had these splits too even with Tampa. Check out 2017 and 2019.  Snell is a major buying opportunity because you can get a cy young pitcher when he pitches at home for peanuts.