NBC Sports Edge Forums

DeMarcus Cousins 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's just that bit you missed where Cousins has a long history of being a top 10 fantasy player. How about Giles and Tucker?

We have been expecting someone of your caliber to arrive for a long time. We need that "bodies" guys. Welcome. 

2/16

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Stay disciplined people.

I know it's tempting to bid up a 30-year old who hasn't played a competitive basketball game in 18 months after 15 minutes of preseason run against the Bulls.

giphy.gif

Definitely a must own, he dominated against WCj and Gafford! 🤣

Hopefully the Rockets start Cousins at C and have Christian Wood as the starting PF. Pretty much all of the depth charts I've seen list Christian Wood only as the starting center and PJ Tucker as the starting power forward. Lol who am I kidding, I'm only saying this because I have Boogie Cousins.....

9 minutes ago, Unknitpizza02 said:

Hopefully the Rockets start Cousins at C and have Christian Wood as the starting PF. Pretty much all of the depth charts I've seen list Christian Wood only as the starting center and PJ Tucker as the starting power forward. Lol who am I kidding, I'm only saying this because I have Boogie Cousins.....

Cousins as 6th man isn't a bad idea because he can be the main scoring option as 2nd unit

1 hour ago, Unknitpizza02 said:

Can you imagine Wood and Cousins getting stats playing next to Wall and Harden? If you own Cousins then you would want one of them to come off the bench but still get good minutes. 

A starting 4 with all of them needing the ball is bad news statistically for everybody.  

• tonycpsu changed the title to DeMarcus Cousins 2020-2021 Outlook
45 minutes ago, Brandayz said:

Yes. Any Houston fans who knows a little bit more of the Boogie situation? 

It'll probably be matchup-based because Christian Wood can play both 4-5 spots. Against bigger matchups I can see both Cousins and Woods starting and in smaller matchups they'll use Tucker at the 4 and Cousins to back up the center spot. In matchups where Cousins comes off the bench, I can see him play several minutes alongside Wood and the starting lineup with Wood shifted to the 4 as well. 

Silas has worked under his father Paul, Don Nelson, and most recently Carlisle where they had one of  the most prolific and efficient offense in league history. He'll find a way to use Cousins, it may take a little time though since the coaches haven't really seen the full lineup together early on with the whole Harden/Covid situation.

Edited by DezedandConfused
57 minutes ago, GuruPitka said:

Do we think Cousins will get around 25 minutes a game?

My opinion is that he will.

Offensively, Boogie doesn't clog up the spacing. Both he and Wood are good 3pt shooters so the defense can't just pack the paint even when both of them are on the court. In fact, I think having both Boogie and Wood will force the defense to make a difficult decision about how many big men they should play. If the other team goes small, Harden, Wood, and Boogie all have the ability to destroy them in the paint. If they play 1 or 2 big men, then Wood's speed and Harden's iso will inflict damage while the guy guarding Boogie can't leave him on the perimeter. Houston's offense will be potent with Boogie. 

Defensively, Boogie is the only "big" man on the team. Boogie is more suited to guard the opposing big man than Wood due to his bulk. This also helps prevent Wood from picking up unnecessary fouls. 

Boogie is still a very good player even in his current state. I think the matchup problem he will cause outweighs his defensive shortcoming on the perimeter for the Rockets. I think he even has a 10-20% chance to eventually start alongside Wood if he can keep up defensively. Health is obviously the key, but if he can stay healthy I think 25 minutes, 14 points, 6 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 1.5 threes are reasonable. 

• Like 2