NBC Sports Edge Forums

Clint Capela 2020-2021 Outlook

Clint is one of the guys I’m most intrigued about. He has so many playmakers to get him easy dunks just hope he’s fully healthy. Elite FG %, boards and blocks with minimal turnovers. If you can ignore the poor free throw % he’s gold. Will be fun to see him against big centers like Embiid, Drummond, Allen/Jordan 

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Clint is one of the guys I’m most intrigued about. He has so many playmakers to get him easy dunks just hope he’s fully healthy. Elite FG %, boards and blocks with minimal turnovers. If you can ignore the poor free throw % he’s gold. Will be fun to see him against big centers like Embiid, Drummond, Allen/Jordan 

Maaan IDK... is there any value if u draft him mid 50s (5th round). Hawks are loaded. I guess he's fine for a 3rd C in my team... in HOU he dind't have any real competition. My fear is he won't have nearly enough touches on offense
I'd take Valanciunas and Wood before him (ranked 58th and 102nd)

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Stefan said:

Maaan IDK... is there any value if u draft him mid 50s (5th round). Hawks are loaded. I guess he's fine for a 3rd C in my team... in HOU he dind't have any real competition. My fear is he won't have nearly enough touches on offense
I'd take Valanciunas and Wood before him (ranked 58th and 102nd)

I'm worried about the same thing. Given their acquisitions I don't even know if he will close games. I could very well see a situation where they like Galo at the 4 and Collins at the 5 to close out games. If he can get 28 minutes he will be great value around the mid 50s but I don't think his minutes are certain.

I never liked the fact that I didn't get to see him play any games for the Hawks. Capela and Collins always seemed like a weird pairing and without any real evidence of how it's supposed to work i'm very skeptical. The game has gone away from guys like Capela and shifted towards players with Collins' skill set. Obviously they will start together but Capela needs to be on the court at the end of the game to get enough minutes.

Edited by FantasyBallFan
  • Like 3

How much games he played for Atlanta last season? I think it was 0. Then I don't understand how you can do the conclusions that he don't fit in Hawks system? If there is no proof then it means for me that I have to draft Capela according his performance in Houston and that was good. In my rank he is 29th and I don't hesitate take him in 3rd round.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, apatas said:

How much games he played for Atlanta last season? I think it was 0. Then I don't understand how you can do the conclusions that he don't fit in Hawks system? If there is no proof then it means for me that I have to draft Capela according his performance in Houston and that was good. In my rank he is 29th and I don't hesitate take him in 3rd round.

Wow big mistake IMO. Crazy talk. I see downward production across the board

There's like at least 10 bigs (non 1st round) I'd take before Clint including Embiid, Gobert, Bam, Drumm, Ayton, Vooch, Jonas, Sabonis, Nurkic, Turner

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Stefan said:

Wow big mistake IMO. Crazy talk. I see downward production across the board

There's like at least 10 bigs (non 1st round) I'd take before Clint including Embiid, Gobert, Bam, Drumm, Ayton, Vooch, Jonas, Sabonis, Nurkic, Turner

I can't "see" any proof that he is going downward. We can expect something, but if there is no evidence I have to draft him according last season numbers. Of course ahead of Capela are Embiid, Bam, Ayton, Nurkic and Vooch. Basically even (all three in a row) are Drummond and Gobert. Sabonis can maybe surprise us, but not better than 4th round level. I have no much faith on Jonas and especially Turner. Turner's value is based mostly on blocks (look at his numbers at BBM ranking page!) and we can maybe add some out-of-position threes. Never ever I draft in first 3-4 rounds a big man who average 6,6 rebounds. And finally: you said that Mitchell is 5th round player because, yes, he finished 54th last season. But Jonas finished 46th and Turner 58th, why you don't take into account their result? If you like to consider BBM ranking, then Capela was 24th! Really I don't understand your principles in drafting players. Why you so strongly reckon some players rank, but at the same time you don't reckon Capela? He was ahead of Drummond and Gobert (finished 33rd). Please look again numbers (and green/red colors) of Capela and Gobert - basically these are the same.

This is my last post in this thread, I make a final conclusion. 1) Capela is a stud and nobody can convince me not to draft him in 3rd round; 2) Capela is a clear second tier center. First tear includes only KAT and Jokic (AD is considered as PF). Embiid would have been here, but number of the games is a problem. 2nd tier includes: Embiid, Bam, Ayton, Vooch, Capela, Drummond and Gobert (Collins is PF).

2 hours ago, apatas said:

I can't "see" any proof that he is going downward. We can expect something, but if there is no evidence I have to draft him according last season numbers. Of course ahead of Capela are Embiid, Bam, Ayton, Nurkic and Vooch. Basically even (all three in a row) are Drummond and Gobert. Sabonis can maybe surprise us, but not better than 4th round level. I have no much faith on Jonas and especially Turner. Turner's value is based mostly on blocks (look at his numbers at BBM ranking page!) and we can maybe add some out-of-position threes. Never ever I draft in first 3-4 rounds a big man who average 6,6 rebounds. And finally: you said that Mitchell is 5th round player because, yes, he finished 54th last season. But Jonas finished 46th and Turner 58th, why you don't take into account their result? If you like to consider BBM ranking, then Capela was 24th! Really I don't understand your principles in drafting players. Why you so strongly reckon some players rank, but at the same time you don't reckon Capela? He was ahead of Drummond and Gobert (finished 33rd). Please look again numbers (and green/red colors) of Capela and Gobert - basically these are the same.

How can u not get it? Because ma man circumstances are different. Those players are in a different situations. U can't base everything on last years BBM rankings. And Donovan Mitchell is basically in exactly same situation

IMO Capela ain't closing most of the games. They prolly go small with Gallo as a PF and Collins on C. So minutes go down and production across the board.

Jonas has a clear path to playing time and more touches on offense. JJJ's missing who knows how much time, and when he does return he'll be on a minutes restriction. He's 22-16-1.5 b without JJJ. That's Jonas.

And on Turner I'm high because his coach is hyping him up.

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

Context is everything.   Atlanta roster at the start of 2019-2020 season: https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160656.  Very young roster with lot's of upside and questionable defense.

Fast forward to this season. Atlanta trades for Capela,  Galo and  Bogdan  because they want to develop young roster? I don't think so, they want to win now and they Atlanta will play their best players as much as possible.

Best defensive big on that roster is Capela.  He will play around 30ish minutes per game, so it does not really matter if he is closing the games (he will be imo) or not.

Collins is not known for his durability also and other bigs on the roster are ... I am sorry I cannot remember their names.

Easily 3rd rounder imo

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Context is everything.   Atlanta roster at the start of 2019-2020 season: https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160656.  Very young roster with lot's of upside and questionable defense.

Fast forward to this season. Atlanta trades for Capela,  Galo and  Bogdan  because they want to develop young roster? I don't think so, they want to win now and they Atlanta will play their best players as much as possible.

Best defensive big on that roster is Capela.  He will play around 30ish minutes per game, so it does not really matter if he is closing the games (he will be imo) or not.

Collins is not known for his durability also and other bigs on the roster are ... I am sorry I cannot remember their names.

Easily 3rd rounder imo

I don't agree at all. Atlanta have PF/C depth. A lot of possible combos. Okongwu will get some minutes I'm sure in that. And Collins wan't injured last year. He just did some sports drugs :D 

31 minutes ago, Stefan said:

I don't agree at all. Atlanta have PF/C depth. A lot of possible combos. Okongwu will get some minutes I'm sure in that. And Collins wan't injured last year. He just did some sports drugs :D 

96 minutes for PF and C. A  lot of possible combos will have  two out  Capela, Collins, Gallo on the floor.  If you assume that Capela  gets 30-32 min , Collins 30-32,  Gallo 26-28.   Between three of them that is 86-92 minutes.

Okongwu  will get  less than 10 minutes per game.

Unless you expect Fernando taking minutes from Capela

Edited by Gile Pile
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, apatas said:

Believe him, Okongwu is not ready for NBA yet. Usually people here tend to value rookies too much.

Maaaan Mo Bamba got like 16 mins a game rookie season, and he was nowhere near ready. Okongwu has almost NBA ready body. He's has like 10kgs more than Bamba as a rookie

Edited by Stefan
1 hour ago, Stefan said:

Maaaan Mo Bamba got like 16 mins a game rookie season, and he was nowhere near ready. Okongwu has almost NBA ready body. He's has like 10kgs more than Bamba as a rookie

so, what are expectations for Okongwu? 

32 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

so, what are expectations for Okongwu? 

Hard to say really... I don't know... but I think he'll get more than 10min a game. More than few teams were high on him. Looks like a bit of a logjam in Atlanta... I'm sure also that they'll often go small with Gallo at the 4 and Collins at 5.
Capela might post 3rd round value but it might also not, nothing is given I think, It hard for me to think he's in better situation than last year in HOU

Edited by Stefan
7 hours ago, Stefan said:

Depends on how Atlanta succeed in season. When they are play for winning, then Okongwu won't get more than 10 minutes. If not, then he can play even 20,

37 minutes ago, apatas said:

Depends on how Atlanta succeed in season. When they are play for winning, then Okongwu won't get more than 10 minutes. If not, then he can play even 20,

We'll see in the end, I quess...
In my mind there is no way he averages less than 15-20 mins a game, guy was a top 6 pick after all.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Clint Capela 2020-2021 Outlook