NBC Sports Edge Forums

Bounce Back Candidates 2020-2021

Who do you guys have on your list for players who had a disappointing 2019-2020 season but might actually be decent/vastly improved for next year (kinda like what Whiteside & Ingram did)? My gut is telling me Josh Richardson, Al Horford & Gary Harris could come back from fantasy irrelevance. For some reason, I also think Melo could have a better fantasy season after getting familiarized with his role with Blazers better.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is your friend Dennis Smith Jr.?

A few years ago Seth Curry poster top 80 value with the MMavs. Sixers are a team which could have him back in that range, which is a huge bounce back from his ~280 and ~180 ranks over the past two sea

Biggest bounce back i reckon will be horford. He just looks back to his old self and is in a perfect situation (obvs until late season and resting etc starts) and probs want to prove he is still an el

Mike Conley was absolutely terrible for most of last season. He's getting up there in age but I expect him to come back much stronger this year. I also think Lauri Markannen will bounce back as well.. doesn't really have to fight for touches as Lavine and (to a lesser extent) Coby White are there only 2 natural scorers. Guys like OPJ and WCJ don't need touches.

Not optimistic about Melo or Al Horford. Al is not in a win now place so they are going to keep him healthy at one point.

Lauri, Wendell are gonna bounce back. They are not used properly last year.

Mitchell Robinson, so many NYK bigs but I think they have to play him. Barrett can't play any worse too.

I think this is the year Fultz starts doing stuff. He got play off experience and started by the playoffs. Yes... He was in the playoffs, a good experience for him. I have to say how tough he has been after the world gave up on him.

Edited by rob0403
  • Like 5

Mitchell Robinson now has to contend with Noel. Dumb Knicks.

Melo should not start. RoCo should start at PF. IF Melo starts, it will be only ceremonial. Meaning his numbers should decline.

Draymond may be washed. He would have to prove it for me to draft him.

I can see Lauri bouncing back. Will be looking at camp/preseason signals closely to see how they play him.

Obviously, KD, Hayward, Zinger if he can play, JJJ if he can return in January.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Mitchell Robinson now has to contend with Noel. Dumb Knicks.

Melo should not start. RoCo should start at PF. IF Melo starts, it will be only ceremonial. Meaning his numbers should decline.

Draymond may be washed. He would have to prove it for me to draft him.

I can see Lauri bouncing back. Will be looking at camp/preseason signals closely to see how they play him.

Obviously, KD, Hayward, Zinger if he can play, JJJ if he can return in January.

There's no contending. Noel is the back up. Dude got a 1 year deal, they're not trying to develop him 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ROTY said:

There's no contending. Noel is the back up. Dude got a 1 year deal, they're not trying to develop him 

I hear you. The problem is, Noel has earned minutes wherever he has gone. They have a similar skillset. No shot, length for miles. Add in Knick foolishness and desire to win games, and who knows what can happen. It adds risk.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Thomas Bryant, was a beast before he got hurt and now that Wall is back should get so many easy looks. 

Beasted in bubble also, his game is so fantasy friendly.  And they didn't bring in any one to replace him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Beasted in bubble also, his game is so fantasy friendly.  And they didn't bring in any one to replace him

They signed Robin Lopez which scares me lol but Wiz beat writer confirmed Bryant will be the starter. Just needs to stay healthy and there is top 50 potential

3 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

They signed Robin Lopez which scares me lol but Wiz beat writer confirmed Bryant will be the starter. Just needs to stay healthy and there is top 50 potential

Yeah RoLo is max a 15-20 minute warm body to absorb some minutes .

8 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I hear you. The problem is, Noel has earned minutes wherever he has gone. They have a similar skillset. No shot, length for miles. Add in Knick foolishness and desire to win games, and who knows what can happen. It adds risk.

And Thibs is that kind of dude who will start Noel over Robinson

8 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I'm not up to date about Mitchell's current weight, but I bet he added some additional muscle over the offseason.

Thing with Noel is, even though he can get some nice blocks and is a decent help defender, he's no match for most big men in the league, since a lot of them are able to box him out or get good position on offense. Noel's a ragdoll to many players due to a slight frame. He maxed out at 220lbs I think, which is at least 25lbs under Mitchell Robinson's current weight.

Mitchell is the pick here, and Noel will provide backup minutes, probably up to 18-20 max. Thats what he maxed out at for most of his career(avg 18.4, which includeshis tank commander season in Philly at 30mpg). These things don't change overnight. Not even with the Knicks. 

I don't understand from what Mitchell Robinson can bounce back. He was 51st in rankings, can he be better? I don't think that more than 10 places and it is not bounce back. The problem is his stats which are too lop-sided. If MitchRob would have blocked last season 2,5 shots instead of 2, he would have been near TOP40. But how much it helps fantasy managers? I will draft Mitch Rob before 6th round only if he improves in other cats, not blocks.

• A few years ago Seth Curry poster top 80 value with the MMavs. Sixers are a team which could have him back in that range, which is a huge bounce back from his ~280 and ~180 ranks over the past two seasons.
  • Josh Richardson was a top 55 and top 70 player in the two seasons before he joined Philly. I could see him bounce back into that range with the move to Dallas.
  • Jerami Grant was top 80 in his last season with OKC. 142 overall last year. In Detroit, maybe he bounced back into the top 80-90.
  • Otto Porter, albeit helped by low TO numbers, was the #59, #20, #22 and #39 overall player before dropping out of the top 135 last season. Maybe he bounces back.
  • Al Horford is too good not to be a top 50 player. The Thunder will rehabilitate his value as a player, and I expect him to bounce back and post top 50 numbers this year again. 
  • Brook Lopez' value dropped somewhat when he stopped taking as many threes. He went from 2.3/game to barely 1.5/game. Maybe he bounces back and ups his threes again, without giving up too many blocks. This would have him back in the top 35 again, as opposed to top 50.

• Like 8

I guess you can argue Mitch Rob is more of a potential breakout candidate. 

To most of us he is a bounce back because he met only the floor of his expectations last year. He really let us down by playing so few minutes. If he can just not foul as much, he can stay on the floor longer. It's not the hardest thing to learn.

BTW I have a bad feeling about Otto Porter. Don't know if he will bounce back.

Player -- 2020 BBM rank -- 2019 BBM rank

Myles Turner -- 58 -- 26

Victor Oladipo -- N/A -- 53

Lauri Markkanen -- 103 -- 40

Malcolm Brogdon -- 85 -- 64

Aaron Gordon -- 129 -- 95

Julius Randle -- 140 -- 79

I think these guys have a decent chance to get back closer to their 2019 level  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, PUNTSQUAD said:

Player -- 2020 BBM rank -- 2019 BBM rank

Myles Turner -- 58 -- 26

Victor Oladipo -- N/A -- 53

Lauri Markkanen -- 103 -- 40

Malcolm Brogdon -- 85 -- 64

Aaron Gordon -- 129 -- 95

Julius Randle -- 140 -- 79

I think these guys have a decent chance to get back closer to their 2019 level  

Why Randle?

On 11/26/2020 at 7:41 AM, El_Chingon said:

Remember beal did not play in bubble,a lot of shot and usage gone to Bryant.Wizards bring Robin Lopez in off-season(although he is just a backup)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, tazdingo said:

How do people feel about Gary Harris being a bounce back candidate? I just realized he's been going undrafted in some leagues & I've been getting him in mock drafts with the 12th-13th pick.

Don’t see it. I think he’s more valuable real life player than fantasy contributor. But his best statistical days are behind him.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Bounce Back Candidates 2020-2021