NBC Sports Edge Forums

John Collins 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

he has a jumpshot most big men in the league only dream of plus hes an awesome rim runner, literally two things that make him unstoppable on the offensive end of the floor if he has a capable point gu

whats the formula? to play KAT-less Timberwolves 72 times in a season?

F Hunter and Reddish. Give this man more shots!!!

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Simsanityy179 said:

Man was he special last year after his 25 game suspension, with capela at centre and all the other offensive weapons signed are we dropping Collins in our ranking ? 

Still worth a top 20 pick ? 

How does he rank up against bam,ayton, or vuc ?

4 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Hawks have too many players now im avoiding. He also wants a max and they seem reluctant to pay him so he could easily get traded but until then im passing

FADE BIG TIME

Last year might be the best fantasy season he'll ever have. Be aware, and avoid taking him too early (before 4th)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Stefan said:

FADE BIG TIME

Last year might be the best fantasy season he'll ever have. Be aware, and avoid taking him too early (before 4th)

Agreed i have many bigs before him. He is very over hyped this season

• Like 1

Curious as to why people are fading him hard this year? He was 7th overall on a per-game basis last season while getting 33 MPG. Of course all the Hawks acquisitions in the offseason will take some usage away from him, and we don't know how Collins will mesh with Capela, but feels like people are overreacting a bit here. To me he falls in that Vuc/Ayton/Embiid/Bam tier.

3 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Curious as to why people are fading him hard this year? He was 7th overall on a per-game basis last season while getting 33 MPG. Of course all the Hawks acquisitions in the offseason will take some usage away from him, and we don't know how Collins will mesh with Capela, but feels like people are overreacting a bit here. To me he falls in that Vuc/Ayton/Embiid/Bam tier.

Might be a time share with Gallo and there’s too many options to draft him so high. I have the guys you listed plus Nurkic and probably Whiteside over him 

I'm surprised that the Hawks signed Gallo with full intent (on both parties) to have Gallo come off the bench for Collins. It just doesn't sound like a good fantasy situation for both of them. I did a mock draft where I positioned myself as the 14th pick and had Collins as my 2nd pick. After reading the blurb about Gallo having a timeshare with Collins, my heart sunk for a moment then I remembered it was just a mock draft.

I'll be staying away from Collins in the early rounds.

• Like 1

I think everbody knows that first three rounds include 36 players. And I just can't drop Collins lower than 3rd round because of simple reason: I have not found 36 better players than him. And for this reason he is 3rd rounder. I understand very well a situation when you have ranked TOP30 and then you don't want anybody to put next 6 places because you consider them not worth. But if you rank players you can't leave places empty...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Impeccable said:

Being as he was 7th last year per BBM, I think a drop to 15th seems logical but Idk how some of you barely think he belongs in the top 36.  Will his usage drop that much??!!

Its not his usage per se, his increased value last year came from more time spent at C. With Capela and possibly their rook eating minutes at C, there is a good chance his value falls back to where it was two years ago. He is not a late first or early second round player if Capela is healthy. 

The decreased touches with Bogdan and Gallinari probably eats into his point totals as well, cause we know those shots are not going to come at Trae's expense. 

If he is available in the 30s I'd take him. Taking him earlier eliminates all the potential upside and is therefore not a great value pick.

I have Nurk  and Vuc ranked ahead of him.  If you are punting ft then he is surpassed by gobert and drummond in my opinion. Add in Ayton and thats 3-5 bigs in between picks 20-35 I'd rather have ahead of Collins.

Edited by justaguy
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Impeccable said:

Being as he was 7th last year per BBM, I think a drop to 15th seems logical but Idk how some of you barely think he belongs in the top 36.  Will his usage drop that much??!!

I didn't say he barely belongs to TOP 36. It was my reply to the user who considered him as a 4th rounder. My opinion is that Collins can be drafted from middle 2nd round, but rather between 21-25th pick.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, apatas said:

I didn't say he barely belongs to TOP 36. It was my reply to the user who considered him as a 4th rounder. My opinion is that Collins can be drafted from middle 2nd round, but rather between 21-25th pick.

Zero upside at that range. Z e r o

• Haha 1

Nobody believed in him being top 15 last year but then he stayed there all year (by average obviously). I see value in this disbelief again this season. Dude is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. I'll gladly take him in the second round.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Philzilla said:

Nobody believed in him being top 15 last year but then he stayed there all year (by average obviously). I see value in this disbelief again this season. Dude is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. I'll gladly take him in the second round.

Unbelievable mistake. U're f ucking up your team for the season.

Well to each his own I guess

Edited by Stefan
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Zero upside at that range. Z e r o

OK, I can do some math. Collins finished 2019/20 season: 21,6/10,1/1,5 and then 1,4threes/0,8steals/1,6blocks and 58/80%/1,8 TO.

1) There is no reason to predict that efficiency cats change much. Maybe even lower TO (1,5-1,6) if lower usage also

2) I can't see any reason that stocks will reduce

3) OK, let's say that involvement of Capela reduces his other numbers to 18pts/8rebs/1,3ast/1,2 threes. And even with these numbers (and other cats as it was in 2019/20) he is inside TOP20.

Edited by apatas
  • Like 1
Just now, apatas said:

OK, I can do some math. Collins finished 2019/20 season: 21,6/10,1/1,5 and then 1,4threes/0,8steals/1,6blocks and 58/80%/1,8 TO.

1) There is no reason to predict that efficiency cats change much. Maybe even lower TO (1,5-1,6) if lower usage also

3) OK, let's say that involvement of Capela reduces his other numbers to 18pts/8rebs/1,3ast/1,2 threes. And even with these numbers (and other cats as it was in 2019/20) he is inside TOP20.

But you're going to eff up your team REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, apatas said:

OK, I can do some math. Collins finished 2019/20 season: 21,6/10,1/1,5 and then 1,4threes/0,8steals/1,6/blocks and 58/80%/1,8 TO.

1)There is no reason to predict that efficiency cats change much ? Oh yea there is. ↩️

Playing less at the C ➡️ playing more away from the basket ➡️ decrease in FG %

2)I can't see any reason that stocks will reduce. ↩️

Playing less at the C ➡️ playing more away from the basket ➡️ decrease in blocks

simple

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Stefan said:

There is no reason to predict that efficiency cats change much ? Oh yea there is. ↩️

Playing less at the C ➡️ playing more away from the basket ➡️ decrease in FG %

I can't see any reason that stocks will reduce. ↩️

Playing less at the C ➡️ playing more away from the basket ➡️ decrease in blocks

simple

It is not simple because Anthony Davis stats will not confirm this logic at all. His blocks has always been 2+ despite is he played PF or C. Remember what I say here: I predict Collins blocks at coming season 1,5 or more. Partially I agree about FG%, but if TO reduces, then efficiency going down only very little.

Edited by apatas
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, apatas said:

It is not simple because Anthony Davis stats will not confirm this logic at all. His blocks has always been 2+ despite is he played PF or C. Remember what I say here: I predict Collins blocks at coming season 1,5 or more. Partially I agree about FG%, but if TO reduces, then efficiency going down only very little.

Fair enough... We'll have to wait and see

3 hours ago, Stefan said:

Sooo ? Last nights game ? 
Happy or not from what's you saw ?

I am happy late rnd 2 anytime in rnd 3.

Gallinari came in for Collins then Collins would later sub in for Capela.

This offense looks great with lots of alley oops, pick and rolls, open 3's etc...

Vuce was taking Capela behind the woodshed but in games where they play Vuce, Embiid, Towns, Jokic, Drummond, Nurkic etc... I think Capela gets more minutes then vs small teams and for that Collins won't be that consistent so for that reason I wouldn't pair him with Jokic unless considering punting pts or the players with question marks at the end of rnd 1.

Collins last year I beleive was the only guy in the HISTORY of the nba to shoot .50/.40/.80 with 1 3 and 1.5 blocks per game.

I had him very high, the Gallinari signing scared me, but the money spent on Gallinari and Bogdanovich makes me believe that Collins will get a fair bit of run at the 5 in their version of the death lineup and Capela has never played in a game for the Hawks yet and was kind of just added to make the trade worth when the Rockets acquired Covington last year. Fun fact the Hawks GM was in the GSW management system. Trae Young is their Steph, Huerter was supposed to be their Klay but that ship has sailed, maybe Bogdan can be a no name version of Klay.

• Like 1