NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Simmons 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A picture (or a video) is worth a thousand words...  

HOLY SMOKES - FROM DOWNTOWN ALERT

Why punt?   Why not just pair him with Harden or Lillard or Trae?

3 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

all teams/management that spend a high lotto pick on someone who cant shoot need to be fired.

which is fine because it seems that if you work hard you can actually have a jumper. Sooooo many players come in with a crap jump shot and end up being very reliable like LeBron James and Jason Kidd. This guy is entering his 5th year and his scoring is going down lol.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
1 minute ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

which is fine because it seems that if you work hard you can actually have a jumper. Sooooo many players come in with a crap jump shot and end up being very reliable like LeBron James and Jason Kidd. This guy is entering his 4th year and his scoring is going down lol.

yea but not when ur shot is so broke like simmons. rather have joakim noah tornado and simmons shot ha

1 minute ago, overtime2000 said:

This guy already regressing

he actually is. He decided hes gonna just post up more and try to play like an old school center than just develop a new jump shot technique or practice like crazy to fix his. What ends up happening? when hes 15 feet away from the rim you just back up and dare him to shoot it cause if he drives you will just be waiting for him. His FG% is down this season too even though hes taking less jump shots because of this.

12 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

he actually is. He decided hes gonna just post up more and try to play like an old school center than just develop a new jump shot technique or practice like crazy to fix his. What ends up happening? when hes 15 feet away from the rim you just back up and dare him to shoot it cause if he drives you will just be waiting for him. His FG% is down this season too even though hes taking less jump shots because of this.

as a curry owner im glad ha

you saw that clip with on the drummond thread right? basically can do that with simmons

3 minutes ago, henesey said:

I think it might be a good buy low time for Simmons because of his scoring and the media narrative that he's regressed. He is playing hurt at the moment and should improve. 

he still providing mid round value but he was ranked and drafted pretty high so yeah it is a good buy low moment.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
11 minutes ago, DepressedKnicksFan said:

Just bought low for him.

For categories league, he has another level to reach right? Mainly got him for bigman stats/stocks, at the PG spot.

Yes, but seems teams are figuring him out and he is not scoring.  Simmons have really good STL and BLK numbers with potential to lead the league in steals (which he has done last year)

I just hoped he played a bit worse than his average self earlier to avoid a trade to Houston.  Hope to see him ball very soon.  New Coach and better shooter around him, hoping him to break his assist average and stay on top of his stocks.  I would be happy as long as he gets 12ppg at the minimum.

Loving the rebounding and stocks, hoping he can cut his turnovers down and bring his FG% up from 50 to 55. He shot 58 and 56 the past two years. The turnovers have been higher than usual. 

Hoping that maybe knowing that he wont be traded takes some of the stress out of his game and hes able to just play.

In fantasy I think he has a great floor but at this rate he isn't gonna be better unless he is on a team that's just him and 4 role perimeter shooters.

IRL I have no idea he doesn't want to shoot. It looks like a mental thing.

Having watched multiple 76ers games this year, one thing is for sure...Simmons does not want to shoot the ball.

It obviously doesn't help that you have Embiid, Harris, Curry, Milton, Green all on your team, but after watching the games I've watched (2 of them coming when they were without Harris and Curry), Simmons seems uninterested in even remotely considering shooting the ball.

Right now, he seems like a disaster. He's looking to only pass on most, if not every possession. And most of the shot attempts he's taking are dunk/driving layup attempts. It's part of the reason why in many of the games this season, he's attempted less than 10 shots.

Having watched the games, it seems literally the only time you can count on Simmons taking a shot is if he cuts to the basket on a layup attempt, or he's on a fast-break.

To be fair, I have no problem with him being a pass-first guy. The problem I have is that his Assist/Turnover Ratio is HORRIBLE.

8-12 assists look good on paper, but what doesn't look good is when you've got 4-7 turnovers along with that.

TO PUT IT INTO PERSPECTIVE

Number of games he scored 17 or more points last season: 29
Number of games he scored 17 or more points this season: 1

At best, it feels like Simmons is good for between 4-8 layups/dunks/mini hooks a game.

From a fantasy perspective, he seems like a disaster.

Basically gives you FG% (but no longer at a super high clip and less attempts), REB, AST, STL and decent Blocks.

But absolutely destroys you in FT%, PTS, 3PM, and T/O.

You've basically have to be legitimately PUNTING at least 2 of those categories to consider rostering him.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Having watched multiple 76ers games this year, one thing is for sure...Simmons does not want to shoot the ball.

It obviously doesn't help that you have Embiid, Harris, Curry, Milton, Green all on your team, but after watching the games I've watched (2 of them coming when they were without Harris and Curry), Simmons seems uninterested in even remotely considering shooting the ball.

Right now, he seems like a disaster. He's looking to only pass on most, if not every possession. And most of the shot attempts he's taking are dunk/driving layup attempts. It's part of the reason why in many of the games this season, he's attempted less than 10 shots.

Having watched the games, it seems literally the only time you can count on Simmons taking a shot is if he cuts to the basket on a layup attempt, or he's on a fast-break.

To be fair, I have no problem with him being a pass-first guy. The problem I have is that his Assist/Turnover Ratio is HORRIBLE.

8-12 assists look good on paper, but what doesn't look good is when you've got 4-7 turnovers along with that.

TO PUT IT INTO PERSPECTIVE

Number of games he scored 17 or more points last season: 29
Number of games he scored 17 or more points this season: 1

At best, it feels like Simmons is good for between 4-8 layups/dunks/mini hooks a game.

From a fantasy perspective, he seems like a disaster.

Basically gives you FG% (but no longer at a super high clip and less attempts), REB, AST, STL and decent Blocks.

But absolutely destroys you in FT%, PTS, 3PM, and T/O.

You've basically have to be legitimately PUNTING at least 2 of those categories to consider rostering him.

So is Simmons right now pretty much prime Rondo? 

5 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

So is Simmons right now pretty much prime Rondo? 

I owned Rondo during or near his prime.  That was about the last year Dwight Howard was in Magic.

I was able to grab both Dwight Howard and Rondo and both of them while punting FT% won me the league (Howard lead the league in rebounds and blocks while Rondo lead the league in assist and steals while both have s---y FT%)

Meanwhile it is a close comparison Simmons is averaging more rebounds and have ability to obtain blocks hence better.  But what makes Simmons owner angry is that most of us draft him late 1st to mid 2nd round meanwhile you can obtain a prime rondo in 3rd or 4th round.  We expect a lot more out of this what they call "once in a generation" player.

Watching 5 mins of this BOS/PHI game while monitoring my boxscore and it looks like Philly scorekeepers are very friendly with their awarding of assists lol.  Not sure if these 5 mins are an exception or this is their standard operating procedure, but could be good news for Simmons owners 

I'm not sure I would have believed it had someone told me that Simmons would improve his ft% this year like I predicted yet still be a disappointment so far. 

2 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

when he's the focal point, he sure is.

Yup.  Players know he's not gonna do much but slam into you during a fast break so they just back up and wait for a charge (I think Blake did that a few times today, and the Heat/Olynyk were doing that two weeks ago) to get him into foul trouble.  I saw him shoot that wide open corner trey and pretty much called the airball.

He's still really good at getting the offense involved, but he absolutely needs spacing, so they had some rotations tonight where he was pretty much playing C and surrounded by shooters.  A trade away from the Sixers would do wonders for him and Embiid individually, but I have no idea where he'd go (and excel).  Honestly, if the Magic didn't have Fultz, I'd say they should take Simmons  given pretty much everyone in their starting lineup shoots treys. 

Gah, was offered LaMelo and DeRozan for this guy in points and still having trouble pulling the trigger given his trip dub ways and top 20 ranking.  Oh the sweet, sweet fantasy conundrums we face..