NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Simmons 2020-2021 Outlook

On 1/25/2021 at 9:32 PM, MWon said:

Yup.  Players know he's not gonna do much but slam into you during a fast break so they just back up and wait for a charge (I think Blake did that a few times today, and the Heat/Olynyk were doing that two weeks ago) to get him into foul trouble.  I saw him shoot that wide open corner trey and pretty much called the airball.

He's still really good at getting the offense involved, but he absolutely needs spacing, so they had some rotations tonight where he was pretty much playing C and surrounded by shooters.  A trade away from the Sixers would do wonders for him and Embiid individually, but I have no idea where he'd go (and excel).  Honestly, if the Magic didn't have Fultz, I'd say they should take Simmons  given pretty much everyone in their starting lineup shoots treys. 

The only way I seriously think a team where Simmons is the best guy works is one that's constructed like Milwaukee - floor spacing that lets Ben drive to the rim + a center who can shoot + big defenders who can force turnovers and let Simmons shine in transition. I just don't see any way this guy is anything more than a glorified roleplayer on a team with mediocre floor spacing because he's easily planned for in the playoffs.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to point this out.  Ben Simmons this week: 14/32 FG (44%), 18/30 FT (60%), 46Pts, 22Rebs, 18Ast, 4stl, 1Blk, 15 TOs. With 3 games, that's an average of about 15ppg, 7rpg, 6apg, 1

A picture (or a video) is worth a thousand words...  

@MWon @brosephd @QingJames @ez2do4now @hermes97 Thanks for the analysis @Mwon. It's great. Just wanted to chime in though that I rarely use 9-cat rankings to really rank a player unless it's to p

3 minutes ago, QingJames said:

The only way I seriously think a team where Simmons is the best guy works is one that's constructed like Milwaukee - floor spacing that lets Ben drive to the rim + a center who can shoot + big defenders who can force turnovers and let Simmons shine in transition. I just don't see any way this guy is anything more than a glorified roleplayer on a team with mediocre floor spacing because he's easily planned for in the playoffs.

Even then, Giannis is not getting it done when the opposing team builds the Toronto Wall. And that's a team with 4 shooters. Not sure what the future holds for Ben Simmons.

1 minute ago, rob0403 said:

Even then, Giannis is not getting it done when the opposing team builds the Toronto Wall. And that's a team with 4 shooters. Not sure what the future holds for Ben Simmons.

Yeah, for sure. I didn't mean a team constructed like that would make Simmons a title contender, but I do think it would make him more than the permanent first and second round exit 'star' that he is right now. I wish the guy would actually develop his game because he's uber talented, but it just seems like he does not have the same drive that led guys like Lebron and Kidd to develop a shot.

7 hours ago, QingJames said:

Yeah, for sure. I didn't mean a team constructed like that would make Simmons a title contender, but I do think it would make him more than the permanent first and second round exit 'star' that he is right now. I wish the guy would actually develop his game because he's uber talented, but it just seems like he does not have the same drive that led guys like Lebron and Kidd to develop a shot.

Ah, I'll agree with you there.  I think he's getting some pretty bad advice with coaches and trainers who have been telling him to NOT shoot treys or jumpers, since there are so, so many examples of PGs who had no jumper but developed it over time (Wall, Westy, Giannis, Kidd, as you mentioned) to broaden their offensive game.  But I'm with you in that Simmons always looks so passive and nonchalant out there. Definitely not surprised a guy like Jimmy B hated KAT/Wiggins and Simmons/Embiid.

As for the Bucks comment ... Yeah, the problem is that Giannis is such a transcendent talent who can dominate a game on his own; he's learned to use the euro to avoid taking charges, something on which Ben clearly struggles.  Also, I'd much rather be passing to Middleton or Jrue or even Divencenzo than Danny Green, lol.  I do think they should use Ben at SF/PF like Giannis though.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, he looked REALLY angry out there.  It wasn't the Embiid effect. It was the Kendall effect.  He tried to take his anger out on Clarkson, and like his Booker game, they both got the best of him, haha.  :D

Jokes aside, I really wish Simmons would be that aggressive every night.  His attitude was engaged, he was in constant attack mode, and some of those dunks were straight up vicious.  Heck, he even managed to stay under control and keep all those offensive fouls down.  Watching him and Toby play PF/C together was sorta fun, and though I expected Gobert to suffocate him in the paint, Ben had some nice hooks go down (esp against Bojan).  

7 hours ago, MWon said:

Man, he looked REALLY angry out there.  It wasn't the Embiid effect. It was the Kendall effect.  He tried to take his anger out on Clarkson, and like his Booker game, they both got the best of him, haha.  :D

Jokes aside, I really wish Simmons would be that aggressive every night.  His attitude was engaged, he was in constant attack mode, and some of those dunks were straight up vicious.  Heck, he even managed to stay under control and keep all those offensive fouls down.  Watching him and Toby play PF/C together was sorta fun, and though I expected Gobert to suffocate him in the paint, Ben had some nice hooks go down (esp against Bojan).  

Do you think he can continue his aggression?

6 hours ago, NashNoTrash said:

Do you think he can continue his aggression?

Does Kendall have any more exes in the NBA?

Seriously though, with Embiid likely back next game, probably not.  Simmons REALLY needs the paint clear to operate and last night's showing demonstrates how Simmons works best as a PF/C surrounded by shooters.

Idk why Ben doesn’t play like this a lot more. He has a mismatch almost every game. It’s inexcusable for a man that’s 6’10 with athleticism and speed to not atleast be averaging 20 points a game

5 hours ago, EsTiLO said:

Idk why Ben doesn’t play like this a lot more. He has a mismatch almost every game. It’s inexcusable for a man that’s 6’10 with athleticism and speed to not atleast be averaging 20 points a game

Well, a few reasons.

First, he and the franchise are constantly learning where he fits positionally. He started as a big PG, then grew a few inches and started playing point forward (Lebron style) much more, Then he got exposed in the playoffs (a few times) and his play with Embiid began to break down. Now he's playing much more PF/C (PF next to Embiid, and C when Embiid doesn't play like last night), moving Toby to SF.  It's a work in progress to see where and how Ben fits into the offense, especially since with Embiid, he doesn't always have access to the paint (or the ball), which is crucial for him.

Second, he's incredibly predictable with his attack and obviously has debilitating limitations on offense.  He's not only ineffective but worse than useless anywhere beyond 8 feet unless he either has the ball or is cutting to attack because his man sags off him freely to play help defense on others.  When he has the ball in the open court, if he has more than two defenders, he tends to bulldoze into people and get offensive fouls against him, so most PF/Cs will take charges rather than try to block his shot.  He hasn't grasped Lebron's ability in the paint just yet.  And while playing PF/C, his post game is still a work in progress even while backing down smaller defenders.

Third, he's a pass first PG. It'd be like demanding early Rubio or Lonzo to drop 20; it just isn't their personally perceived role.  Toby and Seth are capable scorers who can take/make shots.  And of course, there's that big guy who plays C too. I think he scores a little. Makes sense that Simmons defers to them even without that mentality.  Scoring isn't often on his mind even when he has the opportunity to do so.

Fourth, he simply doesn't have that killer instinct, nor does he seem to care about scoring/stats as much as someone like Westy or Harden. If he did, he'd be practicing his shot, like many other PGs who couldn't shoot (Kidd, Wall, Rondo, Lebron), in order to develop as a scorer. 

6 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

im almost done with fantasy basketball.  so sick of these constant O's and gtds.  It's become altogether unplayable or to even strategize anymore.

Yup.  You can see why I wanted that IL+ spot, right?  :P

But hey, if you average out Simmons' career night with his two missed games, he's almost a stream spot player this week, lol.  I also have even more respect for MJ and his flu game since it seems like our current NBA "stars" miss multiple games from the illness.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

he's been low key trash lately.  Where are the freaking counting stats?!

He's been averaging 20/7/6 on 62% FG the last 14 days the hell more do you want lol

53 minutes ago, alexstr said:

He's been averaging 20/7/6 on 62% FG the last 14 days the hell more do you want lol

Nah, he's not passing the eye test.  wretched the past couple games in the counting stat department.  Im not talking about his FG% so don't bring that up.  That's not a counting stat anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, atrium said:

Cant even break 10 points with Embiid out. This guy’s gonna be a hard avoid for me in future drafts.

He’s a guy that’s meant for specific builds. If you’re not running a punt FT%, TO build then he’s trash. With the right build he’s a top-tier fantasy asset though. Even if I think he’s a scrub IRL.

Any guesses on if he goes today or not after sitting yesterday? My only sub for him plays in the early 11am game today with OKC and I’m in a nail biter. 

He sat with that same sore knee and they won by like 20.. so seems kinda pointless to throw him back out there the following day. 

10 hours ago, atrium said:

That’s multiple times this year now that Simmons has been downgraded from probable to out. Frustrating af

And now he plays and just sucks.

I thought Embiid being out might force his hand into becoming the alpha on offense, but he has absolutely zero interest in doing so