NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Simmons 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to point this out.  Ben Simmons this week: 14/32 FG (44%), 18/30 FT (60%), 46Pts, 22Rebs, 18Ast, 4stl, 1Blk, 15 TOs. With 3 games, that's an average of about 15ppg, 7rpg, 6apg, 1

A picture (or a video) is worth a thousand words...  

@MWon @brosephd @QingJames @ez2do4now @hermes97 Thanks for the analysis @Mwon. It's great. Just wanted to chime in though that I rarely use 9-cat rankings to really rank a player unless it's to p

Just wanted to point this out.  Ben Simmons this week:

14/32 FG (44%), 18/30 FT (60%), 46Pts, 22Rebs, 18Ast, 4stl, 1Blk, 15 TOs.

With 3 games, that's an average of about 15ppg, 7rpg, 6apg, 1.3spg, 0.3bpg, 5tpg.

I was trying to figure out his ranking for this week on Bballmonster to see how bad he actually was, and I couldn't, until I realized it only went to Top 200.  After expanding his numbers, I realized he's outside the TOP 400 (!), at 407.  It'd be a likely drop for any wire pickup, but it's obviously not something you expect from your R2/R3 pick.  

If you owned him this week in 9cat, he was likely much better on your bench than if you played him.  If played, he would've tanked your FT% and TOs to unwinnable levels, and FG% is about average for a guard.  And sure, I get that by owning him, you expect to punt one or both of those cats, and don't expect him to help at all in 3s.  The problem is that he only really gave middling/decent popcorn numbers,  his stocks were fairly negligible, and his FG, which is supposed to be a crucial value factor for him, was pedestrian and potentially a negative. To make matters worse, if you had multiple injuries on your team, you couldn't attempt to win %s or TOs by benching your other players late in the week to salvage a 3-6 outcome because by playing Simmons, he helpfully trashed those cats for you.

What I'm trying to say is that, as a Simmons owner, I'm curious to know how many of you fellow owners were able to win with him this week.  If yes, I'd be expecting you to have won against an AFK or INJ-laden opponent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
31 minutes ago, MWon said:

With 3 games, that's an average of about 15ppg, 7rpg, 6apg, 1.3spg, 0.3bpg, 5tpg.

I was trying to figure out his ranking for this week on Bballmonster to see how bad he actually was, and I couldn't, until I realized it only went to Top 200.  After expanding his numbers, I realized he's outside the TOP 400 (!), at 407.  It'd be a likely drop for any wire pickup, but it's obviously not something you expect from your R2/R3 pick.  

If you owned him this week in 9cat, he was likely much better on your bench than if you played him.  If played, he would've tanked your FT% and TOs to unwinnable levels, and FG% is about average for a guard.  And sure, I get that by owning him, you expect to punt one or both of those cats, and don't expect him to help at all in 3s.  The problem is that he only really gave middling/decent popcorn numbers,  his stocks were fairly negligible, and his FG, which is supposed to be a crucial value factor for him, was pedestrian and potentially a negative. To make matters worse, if you had multiple injuries on your team, you couldn't attempt to win %s or TOs by benching your other players late in the week to salvage a 3-6 outcome because by playing Simmons, he helpfully trashed those cats for you.

What I'm trying to say is that, as a Simmons owner, I'm curious to know how many of you fellow owners were able to win with him this week.  If yes, I'd be expecting you to have won against an AFK or INJ-laden opponent.

nice analysis. he’s been trash and on my DND list. cant trade him a lick. thought doc would benefit him more but i was wrong

9 hours ago, MWon said:

I don’t own Simmons, but I was wondering how the Sixers kept winning if he was playing so badly. It seems it’s Harris + committee offense with someone else stepping up every game, be it Danny Green or Shake Milton or whoever. This once again cements to me that Simmons is not an impact player and certainly doesn’t deserve to be considered a star.

I’m still pissed that they didn’t move that phony for Harden - not because I’m a Philly fan, but because Harden and Embiid would have been fun to watch and it would have been a more competitive Eastern Conference postseason rather than the presumed drubbing the Nets are going to give the East with Harden.

Frankly, I can’t think of a more manufactured current star than Simmons. I actually don’t know why he’s considered good. He’s an elite passer to be sure, but everyone seems to point to his defense and while he’s a good defender, he certainly can’t be called a great defender. His help defense is great but his on ball defense is severely overrated. I get that Philly is a heritage franchise and the shills at ESPN and co. are desperate for big market heritage franchises to do well, but I do find the amount of undeserved praise Simmons gets to be irritating. I don’t even rate him as a top 10 guard in the league. Maybe not even top 15.

12 hours ago, MWon said:

Excellent analysis. I never bothered to do analytics on Ben Simmons because I focus on PGs who also contribute good FT% and 3pts, which he lacks. After middle rounds, he is never available so I have never had him in my team. He may be better off playing point forward.

12 hours ago, MWon said:

have him and lost, but can't 100% pin on him. the next highest TO total on my team was 11 from CJ McCollum, followed by RJ Barrett and Jrue Holiday with 10 and 9, respectively. I punt FT% and 3's, mainly because of him and Gobert. 

He's a hard no for me next year, mainly because of how hard it is to build a team with him.

@MWon @brosephd @QingJames @ez2do4now @hermes97

Thanks for the analysis @Mwon. It's great. Just wanted to chime in though that I rarely use 9-cat rankings to really rank a player unless it's to persuade someone to trade with me. I think we all know that we shouldn't strive to win all 9 categories in a single week, but we need to emphasize it more and understand how to work around it. One of you mentioned above that you have Ben Simmons paired with CJ McCollum and RJ Barrett. This, in my opinion, is one of the worst ways to build a team. Why? Because their stats don't work well together. If we simplified this and assume a league only has 3 players per team.

Let's take a team with Simmons, CJ, and RJ.

Then, compare that to a team with Simmons, Capela, and Matisse Thybulle

Who would win at the end of the week? Simmons, Capela, and Matisse Thybulle

This is an over-simplification and you're probably not going to be punting 4 categories in a regular sized team, but it's something that you still need to apply to build a good team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, to answer one of your questions.

14 hours ago, MWon said:

I managed to win last week with 400th-ranked Simmons on a very aggressive 4 category punt team that I'm experimenting with. The team has Gobert, Capela, Drummond (Producing nothing while holding a slot), Mitch Robinson (😪), Covington, Mikal Bridges, Danny Green, Anunobly, Divicenzo, Tate, Noel, Thybulle, Neto, and Batum. It's borderline playoffs in a 12 team league, but has won 9/13 weeks. It doesn't have a 1st round pick player because I traded Giannis away. The team is successful in the sense that it's won a majority of the games this season with 5-4. A few injury riddled weeks and lack of streaming luck led to bad losses so it may miss the playoffs. If it does make it into the playoffs though, I think it'll be a tough team to beat.

5 minutes ago, EsTiLO said:

Ben Simmons stinks this season for fantasy. I drafted him for assists and steals and he’s not giving me that consistently 

So you drafted a guy who puts up career #'s of 16/8/8 with 1.7 steals.  

This year he is putting up 16/8/8 with 1.5 steals and he stinks for fantasy?

OK...

• Haha 1

I can't believe this guy made the All-Star game instead of Trey or Bam.

Whenever he plays, I expect a weaker and weaker statline.  Pretty soon, it's gonna be a 0/7, 0/8 2/2/1 line with 6 TOs or something.

This is why Ben had a bad game.  Can't set a screen on that 5'10, 195lb body without feeling it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, MWon said:

This is why Ben had a bad game.  Can't set a screen on that 5'10, 195lb body without feeling it.

Imagine being 6’10 and getting floored by this (relative to the NBA) midget. Ahahahahaha

Edited by QingJames
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Ben Simmons is so overrated. He hasn't improved at all as far as I can tell. What's he doing in the offseason? Call of Duty?

Said this last season. People blamed the coach so whats the excuse now? Big men are trying to develop shooting meanwhile this guy has not improved on offense whatsoever. 

They literally leave him wide open on the perimeter. It’s inexcusable for him to not develop some semblance of a jumphot. Even Rondo take jumphots.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:11 AM, DezedandConfused said:

He has all the intangibles, plays defense, vision but he can't shoot. His teammates and fans cheer like a parent witnessing their baby's first steps when he makes a 3. 

I said it before but yeah as a NBA level pg that shouldn't be happening. The funny thing is during the preseason all we heard was he was putting in work to extend his range and was ready to show it in the season. Then the season comes and he's the same player and plays in his comfort zone.