Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coby White 2020-2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

This was his line from a 2 week stretch right up to the season suspension.

Ranked 38th on BBM in that time. Keep in mind that Zach Lavine was out with a quad injury for half those games. 

g m/g p/g 3/g r/g a/g s/g b/g fg% fga/g ft% fta/g to/g
9 34.1 26.1 3.9 4.2 4.4 0.9 0.1 .480 19.9 .903 3.4 3.0

ADP is 65. A bit of a reach for me but I might grab him in the 8th round though if he's still available. His USG rate is consistently high and he's a bucket getter and I think even on a healthy Bulls squad he'll still find ways to get his points ala Lou Williams. One thing I don't like is that he's a shoot first PG. But if my team needs scoring I'll take a look at him.

Edited by sharkpotato
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would rather draft sexton in later round if I want a scoring pg

I never care about fg% too much so I’m picking him whenever I can. Dude is going to ball this season.

I benched him so he could go off. Y’all can thank me later...

Posted Images

Not buying that efficiency he showed towards the end of last season. He's still going to have stretches where he tanks your percentages. I do like him as a flier since he seems like one of the highest upside PGs in the tier of players he's going.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

Not buying that efficiency he showed towards the end of last season. He's still going to have stretches where he tanks your percentages. I do like him as a flier since he seems like one of the highest upside PGs in the tier of players he's going.

 

Throw those percentages out the window. He's going to tank it for sure. I'm expecting 40-42% this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kane said:

I would rather draft sexton in later round if I want a scoring pg

Amen. Sexton is an excellent value at his current ADP, and a likelier lock to build on his stats last year. As what a poster above said, Lavine was out for half of the games during Coby's detonation. Not to mention Boylen is also out, which will mean Lauri will be utilized more effectively. Take Sexton in the later rounds instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that sample is too small, but I was here surprised that everybody is against him. As I understood RW crew is quite high on him. Still I ask: Satoransky finished last season as 130th player, can't Coby White finish about 30 places higher?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Coby made 37.8% of his final 211 three-point attempts. Had he shot that well from beyond the arc all year, his FG% would have been 40.5% and he would have averaged 19.1 points and 3.1 threes per 36. He also showed some solid FT potential down the stretch, hitting 90.9% of his final 44 free-throws.

Problem is, he shot 33.5% between 3-feet and the 3-point line (212 attempts). His 2-point FG% (43%) dragged down an otherwise strong year. But this isn't uncommon for rookie point guards.

Below are some of the prominent point guards from the 2017 and 2018 drafts, and their 2-point FG% progression from year 1 to year 2: 

 

Markelle Fultz: 40.5 -> 43.2% -> 48.8% (year3)

Lonzo Ball: 42% -> 48.2%

Dennis Smith Jr: 43.5% -> 47.7%

De'Aaron Fox: 43.6% -> 48.2%

Derrick White: 40% -> 52.9

Trae Young: 47.7 -> 50.1%

Luka Doncic: 50.3 -> 57.4%

Collin Sexton: 44.0% -> 50.1%

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: 50.3% -> 51.2%

 

On average, their 2-point FG% jumped from 44.6% to 49.9%. Markelle Fultz appears to skew the results downward, but his yips are well documented, so maybe that year can be thrown out. Nevertheless, I think it's safe to expect an increase to about 48% for Coby. If that happens, and the 3-point shooting from his second half of the year remains strong, we're looking at a per 36 line like:

 

FG: 43.1% (17 attempts) 

FT: 80% (3 attempts)

3's: 3.1

PTS: 20.2

REB: 5

AST: 4

STL: 1.1

BLK: 0.1

TO: 2.3

 

If Donovan can extract from him an even greater jump in 2-point FG% (~50%), or if he increases his usage (bumping his assists), or if his FT% approaches his end-of-year levels, we will absolutely have a breakout player on our hands. Otherwise, I think it's more than reasonable to expect the numbers above, with room for more from the 20-year old.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Coby made 37.8% of his final 211 three-point attempts. Had he shot that well from beyond the arc all year, his FG% would have been 40.5% and he would have averaged 19.1 points and 3.1 threes per 36. He also showed some solid FT potential down the stretch, hitting 90.9% of his final 44 free-throws.

Problem is, he shot 33.5% between 3-feet and the 3-point line (212 attempts). His 2-point FG% (43%) dragged down an otherwise strong year. But this isn't uncommon for rookie point guards.

Below are some of the prominent point guards from the 2017 and 2018 drafts, and their 2-point FG% progression from year 1 to year 2: 

 

Markelle Fultz: 40.5 -> 43.2% -> 48.8% (year3)

Lonzo Ball: 42% -> 48.2%

Dennis Smith Jr: 43.5% -> 47.7%

De'Aaron Fox: 43.6% -> 48.2%

Derrick White: 40% -> 52.9

Trae Young: 47.7 -> 50.1%

Luka Doncic: 50.3 -> 57.4%

Collin Sexton: 44.0% -> 50.1%

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: 50.3% -> 51.2%

 

On average, their 2-point FG% jumped from 44.6% to 49.9%. Markelle Fultz appears to skew the results downward, but his yips are well documented, so maybe that year can be thrown out. Nevertheless, I think it's safe to expect an increase to about 48% for Coby. If that happens, and the 3-point shooting from his second half of the year remains strong, we're looking at a per 36 line like:

 

FG: 43.1% (17 attempts) 

FT: 80% (3 attempts)

3's: 3.1

PTS: 20.2

REB: 5

AST: 4

STL: 1.1

BLK: 0.1

TO: 2.3

 

If Donovan can extract from him an even greater jump in 2-point FG% (~50%), or if he increases his usage (bumping his assists), or if his FT% approaches his end-of-year levels, we will absolutely have a breakout player on our hands. Otherwise, I think it's more than reasonable to expect the numbers above, with room for more from the 20-year old.

 

You are using a biased sample set of data, which had Coby in and Zach out at the end of the season. Coby went on an incredible run, no question. But he did it in a different system, with a different coach, with the biggest usage guy off the court.

Put it this way. If you use the earlier part of the season, and extrapolate from that set, you would say he is awful. So my guess is somewhere in between is his true value.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

 

You are using a biased sample set of data, which had Coby in and Zach out at the end of the season. Coby went on an incredible run, no question. But he did it in a different system, with a different coach, with the biggest usage guy off the court.

Put it this way. If you use the earlier part of the season, and extrapolate from that set, you would say he is awful. So my guess is somewhere in between is his true value.

 

 

Zach missed only 5 games last year. Coby's three point shooting fell off in these games (31%). In the games they played together, Coby averaged 8 three point attempts per 36. In their final 50 games played together, Coby made 38.7% of his threes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, rebol2n said:

Yahoo ADP is 69... What do you guys think. He had a monster finish last season. 

Just to remind those monster game mostly without Bulls 3 starters(Markkanen,Otto,WCJ)

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kane said:

Just to remind those monster game mostly without Bulls 3 starters(Markkanen,Otto,WCJ)

 

 

Otto's career usage is 16.9%, and he's played in only 24 games for the Bulls since being traded to them 675 days ago. WCJ's on 2019-20 was 16.4%. None of them played more than 30 mpg in 2019-20, and all of them play different positions than Coby. 

Edited by MrCantaloupe
cantaloupe not ripe
Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably wouldn't draft him near the 60s. He probably still won't be super efficient, and he doesn't get many defensive stats. I think he may be top 50, but he could also be outside the top 100. Something like 18/4/4 with 2.5 threes and 80+%ft is possible and looks really good, but if it comes with 40-43%fg, 2+ turnovers, and only 1 steal+block, then I would rather draft someone else at that point. I think Lou Williams would be a cheaper alternative much later in drafts.

 

Another comparison from last year is Graham, who was just #58 in 8-cat despite 18.2/3.3/7.5 with 3.5 threes and 82%ft. Although he only shot 38.2% from the floor.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Coby White 2020-2021 Outlook

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...