NBC Sports Edge Forums

Norman Powell 2020-2021 Outlook

10 minutes ago, Brye said:

Crazy he has crazy good stats for a 90-110 pick, especially if your punt assists then he’s elite. 

Sg cats 

- elite fg% back to back years

- above average  , 1.2-1.3

- above average ft%
- above average TO

- above average blocks from Sg, .4

- 16 points ppg 

if your punt assists he’s a top 50 player easily

As a Raps fan he’s a prime regression candidate and is likely getting moved. Toronto wants to get Matt Thomas more involved and have Davis/Flynn as other guards 

• Like 2
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me checking in on the Norman Powell thread.          

Oh. Ok. A top 3 coach in the league who won the championship two years ago and lost a hard fought 2nd round series last year is on the hot seat after 3 games. Makes sense, about as much sense as Powel

Just dropped Powell for Shake MIlton.  We'll see

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

As a Raps fan he’s a prime regression candidate and is likely getting moved. Toronto wants to get Matt Thomas more involved and have Davis/Flynn as other guards 

Don’t think he’s a prime regression candidate at all, he’s a 3 and d Sg that shoots from a very high clip and doesn’t turn the ball over.  Those type of guards are the ones you need on the court.  If they trade him that would be a horrible idea for a title contending team 

4 minutes ago, Brye said:

Don’t think he’s a prime regression candidate at all, he’s a 3 and d Sg that shoots from a very high clip and doesn’t turn the ball over.  Those type of guards are the ones you need on the court.  If they trade him that would be a horrible idea for a title contending team 

Raptors are no where near contenders lmao and he had a very fluke season he will never replicate it 

32 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Raptors are no where near contenders lmao and he had a very fluke season he will never replicate it 

What’s not to replicate??? He shot 48% back to back years , not sure what your not seeing .  Can you explain how he can’t replicate his %’s, or you think he’s only going to get 18 mins a game? I’d like to hear 👂 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Norman "The Cornman" Powell 2020-2021 Outlook
27 minutes ago, Brye said:

What’s not to replicate??? He shot 48% back to back years , not sure what your not seeing .  Can you explain how he can’t replicate his %’s, or you think he’s only going to get 18 mins a game? I’d like to hear 👂 

Read above I’ve explained bud 

8 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Read above I’ve explained bud 

So matt Thomas who’s a major liability on defense guards arguably one of the toughest and quickest positions in the nba at Sg , is going to be a major threat too Powell who’s plays far superior defense and is a better FT% shooter, and both can score the rock.  But let’s be real the raptors ain’t closing games with Jimmer Fredette I mean Matt Jones.  😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Matt Jones free throw % 4 years at duke....

Ft % At Duke
-2014 56%
-2015 71%
-2016 74%
-2017 73%

in the g league in 2019 he shot 42% and scored 11-12 points in 35 mins per game......

yeah Powell shot 48%, and scored 16.5 per game in 28 mins in the NBA, and he’s a career 80 something % free throw shooter.

again I don’t see where your seeing Matt Jones being the guy, from all the scouting reports I see as well he’s slow Laterally for his position and that won’t translate well for him defensively but hey the NBA won’t exploit his defense right?  

verdict: your passes on him and are holding me of said guards you say will take his spot or minutes and have no clue what your talking about.

Edited by Brye
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Norman Powell 2020-2021 Outlook
2 hours ago, Brye said:

Matt Jones free throw % 4 years at duke....

Ft % At Duke
-2014 56%
-2015 71%
-2016 74%
-2017 73%

in the g league in 2019 he shot 42% and scored 11-12 points in 35 mins per game......

Who is this Matt Jones guy? Is he on Raptors roster?

Back to Powell, Raptors are at their best when he plays around 20 minutes.

Last year he got extended run due to injuries and he will not get that this year. Thomas and Davis are much cheaper than Powell (who couldn't get starting job in 5 years)

Edited by Gile Pile
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, ovenchicken said:

Nurse is giving massive minutes to Lowry/Van Vleet. Its only a matter of time before 1 or both are injured.

If you are calling for any player to get injured than you are <insert your adjective here> human being

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

If you are calling for any player to get injured than you are <insert your adjective here> human being

He wasn't rooting for them to get injured, he's simply stating (in his opinion) that it's more likely one of them gets hurt due to their workload. Which is a reasonable take, especially considering how frequently Lowry gets hurt to begin with.

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

Where in my post did I wish injury on a player? read and re-read and let me know. BTW, I'm a Raptors fan.

Playing the vet Lowry 39 minutes is just unwise if we want to have him available throughout the season. Nurse seems to have no trust in the bench and the starters are getting heavy minutes. Van Vleet is no iron man either.

Running your players into the ground Tom Thibodeau style is going to lead to injury.

1 hour ago, ovenchicken said:

Where in my post did I wish injury on a player? read and re-read and let me know. BTW, I'm a Raptors fan.

Playing the vet Lowry 39 minutes is just unwise if we want to have him available throughout the season. Nurse seems to have no trust in the bench and the starters are getting heavy minutes. Van Vleet is no iron man either.

Running your players into the ground Tom Thibodeau style is going to lead to injury.

" Its only a matter of time before 1 or both are injured. "

I don't know how else   to interpret this.  Whatever, it's all water under the bridge...

45 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

" Its only a matter of time before 1 or both are injured. "

I don't know how else   to interpret this.  Whatever, it's all water under the bridge...

You can interpret it as me believing the odds are likely 1 or both will be injured at some point this season. Give your head a shake.

Lowry plays hard, takes charges, and puts his body on the line. With heavy minutes he's going to miss games. it is what it is. Freddy is undersized and plays hard as well.

Lowry's last 3 seasons:

4 games missed, 17 games missed, 14 games missed

Van Vleet's last 3 seasons (1st season split between g-league):

6 games missed, 18 games missed, 18 games missed

This season is compressed with additional back-to-backs. Its going to be tough if Nurse is playing them high 30s every night. The Raps won't be blowing teams out this season so there is no garbage time to rest these guys.

I think Nurse realizes the playing time thing.  He has specifically mentioned giving guys like Flynn, Matt Thomas, TD more mins and to be mindful of Lowry's mins.  The fact is though when Toronto are losing games Nurse doesn't seem to trust anyone else to be in the backcourt unless one of the young guys are on fire.  Powell will get his mins but he's his own worst enemy.  When he's in one of those funks you just have to ride it out and wait for him to pick it back up.

Wow, this is bad. He was my last pick in all my auction leagues so I can't be mad at cutting him already. Normally I wouldn't cut loose after only 2 games, but he looks awful and there's some good options on the wire.

11 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

This. I dropped after first game.

• Like 1