NBC Sports Edge Forums

Norman Powell 2020-2021 Outlook

39 minutes ago, csklmf said:

Ty Lue also got fired 2 years after he led the team to championship. It honestly does not mean anything. 

My original statement was playing Thomas and Johnson more minutes is not making the team win games. I never blamed Powell's poor performance on Nurse. 

The only two coaches right now that won't get fired no matter what are Pop and Rick Carlisle imo. Any coach can get fired if team does not do well. Raptors upcoming schedule is not very tough so I think he's fine. I stand by my point regardless of whether you like it or not. 

Oh Top 3? Okay....😌😌😌

Lue was Lebron’s boy. Lebron left. And he was fired from the rebuilding Cavs  after starting 0-6. Not the same situation nor the same organizational competence as the Raptors. So to even suggest Nurse is in any trouble whatsoever is quite ridiculous.

And yes, it’s arguable he is a top 3 coach currently. Fine, if not 3, definitely top 5. Not in any particular order: Pop, Nurse, Carlisle, Spo, Kerr. Is there anyone else that is higher than Nurse not on my list right now? Please, if so, let me know.

On playing Thomas and Johnson. So playing them some bench minutes not at the expense of any starter getting their minutes while Powell can’t hit the side of a barn is the game losing proposition consequently putting him on the “take note or else” proverbial hot seat from Masai after 3 games. 

Hmmm. Ok.

Edited by Tekno Team 2000
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me checking in on the Norman Powell thread.          

Oh. Ok. A top 3 coach in the league who won the championship two years ago and lost a hard fought 2nd round series last year is on the hot seat after 3 games. Makes sense, about as much sense as Powel

Just dropped Powell for Shake MIlton.  We'll see

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Pop, Nurse, Carlisle, Spo, Kerr. Is there anyone else that is higher than Nurse not on my list right now? Please, if so, let me know.

Bud probably deserves a spot for locking bucks into small market juggernaut status for a decade, but those 5 are all up there and i agree nurse has a case for top 3 if raptors stay strong

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/toronto-raptors/yearly/cap/

Few points that I need to make:

Future of the Raptors team is tied to Siakam/OG/FVV and they are all under the contract until 2024 or later. In order to improve Raptors need to sign additional quality player(s). Superstar would be nice ;)

Powell  had multiple chances over the years to prove that he is  a starter in this league (spoiler alert: he didn't, FVV did). Powell is  27 years old career backup SG   in the last year (or two years if he picks up his option).   For a backup SG, his contract is not that bad.

A healthy Powell playing well this season would likely command more than his current rate of $10-11 million per year.  I don't think that Raptors will  offer more.

Powell playing badly and picking up his option would be  a very bad news for Raptors.

There is a strong possibility Norman Powell could be moved just to be sure he doesn’t pick up his option in order to preserve cap space next summer.

Powell is as good as gone imo. 

PS.

Only Baynes and Lowry are older than him  on the Raptors roster. Who is also 27?  Boucher and Len, and both of them have only one year guaranteed in their contracts.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Stefan said:

TY didn't lead Cleveland to Championship, ma man. It was only, and only LeBron James. 

Funny you say that , but In all reality it starts with the head coach and if he can’t figure it out and the expectations are high and he fails , he will be on the hot seat weather you like it or not.  Ty lue is a perfect example, D’antoni is another.... Rockets always made the playoffs he’s now a assistant coach for the nets. Weather you like it or not if raptors don’t make the playoffs in a Covid expanded 10 team makes playoff last, then yeah I’d say he’s a goner 

46 minutes ago, Brye said:

Funny you say that , but In all reality it starts with the head coach and if he can’t figure it out and the expectations are high and he fails , he will be on the hot seat weather you like it or not.  Ty lue is a perfect example, D’antoni is another.... Rockets always made the playoffs he’s now a assistant coach for the nets. Weather you like it or not if raptors don’t make the playoffs in a Covid expanded 10 team makes playoff last, then yeah I’d say he’s a goner 

Nick Nurse getting fired equates to your chance of winning your fantasy league. Ty Lue is a terrible coach and as previously mentioned, only won because he had HOF Lebron. Be gone.

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, RAGINGROOSTER said:

Nick Nurse getting fired equates to your chance of winning your fantasy league. Ty Lue is a terrible coach and as previously mentioned, only won because he had HOF Lebron. Be gone.

Terrible coach yet he coaches for the clippers now while doc got let go and now he’s on the 76ers..... yeah anything can happen sorry your mad that Norman Powell ain’t a scrub, stats back it up, but yeah you know who’s good and he’s trash I forgot 

8 hours ago, RAGINGROOSTER said:

Yes, he is so terrible with 19.7 pts 2.0 3ptm 4.0 reb 4.0 ast 2.3 stl and 100% ftm... yet you worry about. 429 fg%, all while Norman is shooting .174% fg LOL... give your head a shake.

D Brooks 3 for 13 at halftime , easy to say someone balling 3 games into the season and trashing someone that ain’t.  Hence more seasoned fantasy players go by a track record over a whole season, don’t worry you’ll get the hang of it sooner or later. 😉

3 hours ago, mattshhh said:

Bud probably deserves a spot for locking bucks into small market juggernaut status for a decade, but those 5 are all up there and i agree nurse has a case for top 3 if raptors stay strong

Bud has been routinely exposed in the playoffs.

58 minutes ago, Brye said:

D Brooks 3 for 13 at halftime , easy to say someone balling 3 games into the season and trashing someone that ain’t.  Hence more seasoned fantasy players go by a track record over a whole season, don’t worry you’ll get the hang of it sooner or later. 😉

You must be really be densed. As I have stated previously he shoots .429 FG% which is subpar. However, he gives you 20pts with 3pm, ast, reb and stl. In a CAT league that is valuable. I don't know what kind of clown fantasy league you're playing but keep barking lil one. If you think that's bad for a WW pick up, you are clueless in fantasy. Seasoned basement dweller in standings sounds about right for you. 

1 hour ago, Amendola96 said:

Last call for the Norm Powell train. 

choo choo!  He needed this start to find his rhythm... choo choo!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Brye said:

Sucks you dropped him , like I said your gonna learn the hard way 

Do you even watch the game? Siakam was suspended and he got the start. He will be back to his 6th man role. I've also stated that he probably will pick it up but not worth holding on to in 12 team leagues with decent ww pick ups. You mad bro?

6 minutes ago, RAGINGROOSTER said:

Do you even watch the game? Siakam was suspended and he got the start. He will be back to his 6th man role. I've also stated that he probably will pick it up but not worth holding on to in 12 team leagues with decent ww pick ups. You mad bro?

Oh I’m punt assists for me he’s a top 60 player so nah not mad at all , he’s gives me above average %’s , steals, 3’s, to’s and blocks for a Sg so I’m happy.  I’m 8-1 so far and got almost all 8 cats locked up for the week, and yes I have a ww spot on my bench for pure streaming.  Powell is gold to my team

Edited by Brye
  • Like 1

they got their first win of the season and he was a big part of that.. isn't he in a  CONTRACT YEAR?!  can you hear that?  Choo Choo.. the Norm Train is leaving the station.. all aboard!

Edited by MNDOGG

Played heavy minute because siakam was out due to disciplinary reasons and played well. Then raptors wins. I know it’s **** a** NYK but it’s their first win of season and siakam back next game. We will see how it goes. 

coincidence? Like sir Charles says, I may be wrong but I doubt it. 

Edited by csklmf
  • Like 1