NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Kopech 2021 Outlook

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Closing the book after 87 pitches and a dominant outing of 5 IP, 10k, 4 H, 1 ER. Should pick up the W with the Sox ahead 8-1, and thank you Tony la Russa for being old school and letting him go deeper

On the precipice of gaining RP eligibility. One more relief appearance to go. 

I believe Lynn is on the 10-day so a good chance he gets another chance to start and throw 3-4 innings soon. I dunno what his innings limit is on the year but they are stretching him a little more agg

16 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

What the % this guy ends up in the rotation for the Sox this season? I mean is that the goal? I remember years ago that was the path Sale took. 

I would say 60-75%. I bet he's in the pull pen because: 1. he hasn't pitched competitively in two years. 2. slowly build up his pitch count in a multi-inning relief role. 3. Saving his bullets for later in the year to start.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Picard56 said:

I would say 60-75%. I bet he's in the pull pen because: 1. he hasn't pitched competitively in two years. 2. slowly build up his pitch count in a multi-inning relief role. 3. Saving his bullets for later in the year to start.

Interesting.. He looks so damn good. I hate seeing great arms in the bullpen. Understand why they did it but they really need to get him prepared to start games

Edited by OrangeCrush
24 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Interesting.. He looks so damn good. I hate seeing great arms in the bullpen. Understand why they did it but they really need to get him prepared to start games

150 IP this year I think with RP and starting by mid year I think. In 2019 he would have reach 130-150 IP I think so I think they let him go

Could be a boon for all fantasy leagues and honestly end the year a $15 player IMO

20 hours ago, B&F said:

What # of innings are we looking at? 50?

Nah, if he's healthy 100+ with a likely transition to SP next season with I'm assuming another innings cap around 160 or so.

Small sample size, but so far no barrels, no flyballs, and a league-best whiff rate. I thought he'd have a rocky start but he looks insane out of the pen and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

• Like 1

Kopech has been bouncing back strong from his multi-inning relief appearances and would have been an option to start Monday for Carlos Rodon (illness) had he not pitched the day before, Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

The White Sox no longer have a vacancy in the rotation, as Rodon is set to start Wednesday, but it's encouraging to know that Kopech could be an option in the future. He has dominated to the tune of 6.1 scoreless frames in three appearances, striking out 11 and walking two over that span.

Even in a 10 team w/no middle relief he's seem like a hold, no? Feel like he's a league winner if and when he's called upon. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, OrangeCrush said:

Kopech has been bouncing back strong from his multi-inning relief appearances and would have been an option to start Monday for Carlos Rodon (illness) had he not pitched the day before, Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

The White Sox no longer have a vacancy in the rotation, as Rodon is set to start Wednesday, but it's encouraging to know that Kopech could be an option in the future. He has dominated to the tune of 6.1 scoreless frames in three appearances, striking out 11 and walking two over that span.

Even in a 10 team w/no middle relief he's seem like a hold, no? Feel like he's a league winner if and when he's called upon. 

Totally agree. Other than giolito and lynn, there isn’t a sure thing with health or performance in that rotation. I think they realistically wanna wait til later in the year to deploy him as a starter for their playoff run.

1 minute ago, Picard56 said:

Totally agree. Other than giolito and lynn, there isn’t a sure thing with health or performance in that rotation. I think they realistically wanna wait til later in the year to deploy him as a starter for their playoff run.

100% and Cease hasn't looked great so I could see him eating some early season innings as the starter only to make way for Kopech. He's likely keeping the seat warm until he builds up his PC

• Like 2
3 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Yes, absolutely a league winner. If hes still available in any leagues everyone better pounce while they still can. 

9 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

100% and Cease hasn't looked great so I could see him eating some early season innings as the starter only to make way for Kopech. He's likely keeping the seat warm until he builds up his PC

White Sox recalled RHP Zack Burdi from the team's alternate training site.

Burdi will take the place of Dylan Cease, who was just placed on the injured list with COVID symptoms.

Any way his earned run today gets changed to unearned? I thought that wild pitch would be scored a passed ball and seemed like Abreu committed two errors on one play. 

They will 100% baby this kid.  He was one of the top pitching prospects in baseball IIRC when they made the Sale trade.  He throws gas and is coming off TJ surgery.  I'd peg his innings in the 50 - 100 range   If they keep him in the pen all year it will be 50, but I think this is probably too safe a road to travel.  If they move him to the rotation eventually, which I think they want to, then I could see 100, and maybe more if he a) pitches really well, and b) they're  fighting for the playoff spot/in the playoffs.  We all remember the Nats with Stras tho.  Some teams protect the arm no matter what.  Mark Prior and Matt Harvey being an example of why.

20 hours ago, dicka24 said:

They will 100% baby this kid.  He was one of the top pitching prospects in baseball IIRC when they made the Sale trade.  He throws gas and is coming off TJ surgery.  I'd peg his innings in the 50 - 100 range   If they keep him in the pen all year it will be 50, but I think this is probably too safe a road to travel.  If they move him to the rotation eventually, which I think they want to, then I could see 100, and maybe more if he a) pitches really well, and b) they're  fighting for the playoff spot/in the playoffs.  We all remember the Nats with Stras tho.  Some teams protect the arm no matter what.  Mark Prior and Matt Harvey being an example of why.

Agreed but I think Tony L is the x-factor. Old school coach gonna start his best players. Yes, there is a new culture in baseball but I don't think Tony came back to take lineup cards from the GM. I'll be shocked if he isn't in the rotation in a couple of months. I'd say June/July unless an injury forces the hand sooner. 

4 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Agreed but I think Tony L is the x-factor. Old school coach gonna start his best players. Yes, there is a new culture in baseball but I don't think Tony came back to take lineup cards from the GM. I'll be shocked if he isn't in the rotation in a couple of months. I'd say June/July unless an injury forces the hand sooner. 

Yep, I agree with this. This team is in the "win now" mode. FanGraphs already has him projected for 88 innings (54 in relief) and that will do nothing but increase if he keeps throwing like he has so far. I say he goes over 100 IP, and if he gets a spot in the rotation at some point, this will go way up. And you have to keep in mind that if he continues to crush it, his 100 IP = more fantasy production than other pitchers with well more IP.

Getting the ball for game two today. Something to watch.

(1 hr ago) White Sox manager Tony La Russa said Kopech will start the second game of Sunday's doubleheader with the Red Sox, Jesse Rogers of ESPN.com reports.

Facing off against the organization that selected him with the 33rd overall pick in the 2014 first-year player draft, Kopech will be making his first MLB start since Sept. 5, 2018. Kopech has been dynamic in his four extended relief appearances for Chicago this season, allowing one run on two hits and three walks over 7.2 innings while striking out 13. According to James Fegan of The Athletic, La Russa said Kopech will likely work up to three innings if he's efficient with his pitch count, so the right-hander may have a tough time factoring into any decision. The White Sox designated Jonathan Stiever as their 27th man for the twin bill, and he could end up piggybacking Kopech in the outing.

4 minutes ago, SecondString38 said:

Here's hoping we don't have to wait for another double-header before his next start.

I don't know if you want him to start so early in the season. They likely won't give him many innings since he hasn't pitched in two years.

4 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I don't know if you want him to start so early in the season. They likely won't give him many innings since he hasn't pitched in two years.

Wins or QSs, you’ll likely not getting anything. Would be advisable if you’re needing to trip your ERA and WHIP.

7 minutes ago, SecondString38 said:

Understood. I assure you, I want him to start.

3 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Wins or QSs, you’ll likely not getting anything. Would be advisable if you’re needing to trip your ERA and WHIP.

My point is if they are gonna start him now, they won't have many bullets for the end of the season. I doubt they are planning to make him a full time starter until mid season.

2 hours ago, SecondString38 said:

Here's hoping we don't have to wait for another double-header before his next start.

I believe Lynn is on the 10-day so a good chance he gets another chance to start and throw 3-4 innings soon. I dunno what his innings limit is on the year but they are stretching him a little more aggressively than expected, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's in the rotation in 3 months. Regardless, if he sticks in the pen this is still a reliever that could be good for 150+ strikeouts this year with an elite ERA and WHIP, and given the length of his relief outings might pick up 8 or 9 wins. He's potentially going to be a better starter than most rostered starters in non-QS leagues.

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 3
On 4/18/2021 at 8:56 PM, sleepysock said:

I believe Lynn is on the 10-day so a good chance he gets another chance to start and throw 3-4 innings soon. I dunno what his innings limit is on the year but they are stretching him a little more aggressively than expected, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's in the rotation in 3 months. Regardless, if he sticks in the pen this is still a reliever that could be good for 150+ strikeouts this year with an elite ERA and WHIP, and given the length of his relief outings might pick up 8 or 9 wins. He's potentially going to be a better starter than most rostered starters in non-QS leagues.

They are kind of using him like Tejay Antone of the Reds as multi-inning reliever. I doubt we see him start another game for the time being, that seemed needed more cause of the DH. La russa emphasized after the game that he is still a reliever but will be a starter down the road. If I was a betting man, I'm gonna guess june/July is when we see him full time in the rotation. I like for them to save his bullets for the time being. Could be gold for fantasy playoffs.

• Like 1