Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Michael Kopech 2021 Outlook


2ndCitySox
 Share

Recommended Posts

He won't be in the rotation barring a injury to the starting 5.  And even so he is not stretched out so at best he would probably at best be a 5 inning pitcher. Plus the Sox need him in the bullpen badly.  Bottom line I doubt he gets any starts this year.  Next year he will replace Rodon in the rotation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

He’s already made three starts this season.

Yeah he went 5 innings once. Basically since then it's been one or two innings after a IL stint.  He's not stretched out.  They don't need him to start and desperate for his bullpen help.  He's droppable if people are holding for him to start later this year.  Even if for some reason he does. He would be a 4 or 5 inning starter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone want to try to convince me to hold onto this guy any longer? he's been a black hole of a roster space all season but I continue to hang on hoping he cracks the rotation (or starts to see meaningful innings out of the pen)

He's been plenty fine for me in my SVHLD league with elite ratios. To each their own, I suppose 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone want to try to convince me to hold onto this guy any longer? he's been a black hole of a roster space all season but I continue to hang on hoping he cracks the rotation (or starts to see meaningful innings out of the pen)

Prior to the injury he was on pace for 105 IP's.  He was doing just fine in getting you "meaningful" innings as a RP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cad300 said:

He's been plenty fine for me in my SVHLD league with elite ratios. To each their own, I suppose 

 

1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Prior to the injury he was on pace for 105 IP's.  He was doing just fine in getting you "meaningful" innings as a RP.

I should have been more clear - in my redraft leagues that only count wins/saves he hasn't been very useful on a weekly basis. The ratios are nice, don't get me wrong, but it definitely leaves something to be desired for what my leagues are calling for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was dropped in my Saves+Holds league after his last outing.  Other than that, it looks like he’s been pretty good.  Kimbrel would seem to push him to the 7th, but I would still think he’s useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

He was dropped in my Saves+Holds league after his last outing.  Other than that, it looks like he’s been pretty good.  Kimbrel would seem to push him to the 7th, but I would still think he’s useful.

Oh good, not the usual thread bump asking if he was going to be a starter for the H2H playoffs or stretch run in roto. Cuz he's not, they gave Jimmy Lambert a start yesterday. Kopech earned those drops in the SV+H leagues because of the 5 ER blowup and the trades of Kimbrel, Tepera, take him further out of the hierarchy. He's like Cristian Javier, emergency rotation insurance in case of injury, but lost in the shuffle and in fantasy no man's land. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

Oh good, not the usual thread bump asking if he was going to be a starter for the H2H playoffs or stretch run in roto. Cuz he's not, they gave Jimmy Lambert a start yesterday. Kopech earned those drops in the SV+H leagues because of the 5 ER blowup and the trades of Kimbrel, Tepera, take him further out of the hierarchy. He's like Cristian Javier, emergency rotation insurance in case of injury, but lost in the shuffle and in fantasy no man's land. 

Largely agree here, particularly with the nature of the question, but I still think he has quite a bit of value in leagues rewarding wins and holds.  In any keeper I would think at least thrice before dropping him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 1:45 AM, Dylanfan66 said:

He won't be in the rotation barring a injury to the starting 5.  And even so he is not stretched out so at best he would probably at best be a 5 inning pitcher. Plus the Sox need him in the bullpen badly.  Bottom line I doubt he gets any starts this year.  Next year he will replace Rodon in the rotation.

Rodons hurt so he moves into the rotation right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mongeese said:

Look to Dr. Kimble to give you the answer.

Someone has paid attention to me! But, let TLR answer this one for you:

...La Russa was asked if key reliever Michael Kopech was considered to take over for Rodon, who could miss multiple starts.

"He has to be considered, but we're now into August and extending him to where he would be a starter takes him out of that role that we really need him," La Russ said. "And we expect Carlos to be back."

Starting just isn't in the cards for Kopech this season. Lopez didn't go deep today, and even if he gets shelled next time, and Rodon is out longer than expected, I fully expect Jimmy Lambert or some other AAA starter to take his place. My crystal ball says the next dramatic turn of events for Kopech will probably be a 3-inning save in the near future, just to flummox all the Hendriks/Kimbrel owners out there 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Second 5 ER outing in the past month for Kopech last night, coming into a game in the 6th following Rodon with a big 9-2 lead and promptly torching his ratios for good this year. This is another reason you don't want to own a guy in this kind of set-up role, because he will get used in lopsided games for a tune-up and they will let him struggle through an outing like this just to get his work in. Something similar happened with Cristian Javier giving up a grand-slam recently (thankfully Kopech's rough night didn't blow the W for Rodon owners) because like Kopech, Javier gets to pitch seldom since moving to the bullpen and needs to get some outings to stay fresh. 

Doubt it was something that hurt many managers, if you haven't identified why Kopech isn't a great fantasy asset this season, nothing I say will change your mind. He's being held for keepers and dynasty leagues hoping he will slot into the 2022 rotation, and I believe he will, as Rodon is likely going to be a hot commodity, and the White Sox may have to let him walk as the Astros did with Cole following their WS win. That's 3 predictions in one, we'll see if any of them come true.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...