NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2021 Outlook

Will this finally be the year we bring home a ship? With Paxton and Tanaka likely moving on, we have some glaring holes to fill in our rotation. Do we go young and roll with all our up-and-comers or do we sign/trade for an established SP1? Why the hell haven't we signed DJL yet? If we plan on making it past the first round we're going to have to re-sign him and/or trade for Lindor. I'm hoping we say goodbye to Sanchez, I've had about enough of him. Give me Molina instead. This should be an interesting pre-season going forward, I'm intrigued to see how upper management handles our needs. Go Yanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 3:16 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

Yes finally...that horrible 11 year drought you all have had.

But the team obviously isn't far off. A nice year of good health would go a long way 

Yanks have no excuse for even a five year drought. Their average is around 4.25 years per I believe. Even spending like a drunken sailor hasn't been working.

Am I the only one who wouldn't have a problem if the Yankees let DJ LeMahieu walk? He's going to be 33; his home/road splits are crazy; and I'm not overpaying for a top-3 MVP finish when it occurred in less than 1/3 of a normal season. 

Let someone else reward him for thriving in Yankee stadium and having a red-hot 50 game stretch.

• Like 1

Hicks - Judge - Voit - Stanton - Torres - Frazier - Urshela - Sanchez - Wade/(LeMahieu)   👍

Cole - Montgomery - Garcia - King - German - (Severino)   🥱

Chapman - Britton - Ottavino - Green   👀

The lineup has tons of pop but is going to strike out a lot; should walk a lot too.  That bullpen is nails but the rotation is, well, not championship caliber let alone playoff caliber.  In fact, it's pretty darn bad when you look at the competition.

Without bringing in an ace SP and another workhorse I see them as competing in a weak-ish division (BOS and TOR similarly have weak pitching, BAL is rebuilding) but falling to TB.  I don't think they make the wild card without these additions either.  Front office has an important offseason on hand.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 8:40 PM, En Votto Veritas said:

Hicks - Judge - Voit - Stanton - Torres - Frazier - Urshela - Sanchez - Wade/(LeMahieu)   👍

Cole - Montgomery - Garcia - King - German - (Severino)   🥱

Chapman - Britton - Ottavino - Green   👀

The lineup has tons of pop but is going to strike out a lot; should walk a lot too.  That bullpen is nails but the rotation is, well, not championship caliber let alone playoff caliber.  In fact, it's pretty darn bad when you look at the competition.

Without bringing in an ace SP and another workhorse I see them as competing in a weak-ish division (BOS and TOR similarly have weak pitching, BAL is rebuilding) but falling to TB.  I don't think they make the wild card without these additions either.  Front office has an important offseason on hand.

they’ll bring in another starter for sure but that rotation is decent imo. 

I have to say, I want to reiterate that I do not think the Yankees rotation is bad at all. It's considerably above average and I think they'll obviously sign someone too.

Cole- was never my #1 last year, but a clear top 5 starter in baseball.

I think what it comes down to is that people are really underrating Deivi/Montgomery/Scmidt/German.  German was a stud in 2019, 2 of the others were great prospects recently with Deivi already showing some success in the majors, and Montgomery was low key decent last year and looks better further off from TJ. It's not reliable, but I feel like 2 of these guys have pretty good years, with the possibility of 3. 

There's also Severino coming back mid season who has been an Ace at times.

And yes, I assume they sign someone, bring Tanaka back, or whatever.

Like how many rotations in the AL are better?  CLE for sure, TB and CWS, but honestly not by a ton and seems like TB might trade Snell.

It's a solid rotation. I think a lot of their pitchers get downgraded because they have a lot of bad games in that park which is prone to scoring and home runs, but they have talented guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I have to say, I want to reiterate that I do not think the Yankees rotation is bad at all. It's considerably above average and I think they'll obviously sign someone too.

Cole- was never my #1 last year, but a clear top 5 starter in baseball.

I think what it comes down to is that people are really underrating Deivi/Montgomery/Scmidt/German.  German was a stud in 2019, 2 of the others were great prospects recently with Deivi already showing some success in the majors, and Montgomery was low key decent last year and looks better further off from TJ. It's not reliable, but I feel like 2 of these guys have pretty good years, with the possibility of 3. 

There's also Severino coming back mid season who has been an Ace at times.

And yes, I assume they sign someone, bring Tanaka back, or whatever.

Like how many rotations in the AL are better?  CLE for sure, TB and CWS, but honestly not by a ton and seems like TB might trade Snell.

It's a solid rotation. I think a lot of their pitchers get downgraded because they have a lot of bad games in that park which is prone to scoring and home runs, but they have talented guys.

German has been horrendous in Winter Ball and might not be a rotation option in 2021. Deivi looks promising but he's still very young. Not sure about Schmidt (don't know enough about him to make a call either way). As a Yankee fan, I'd love to go get Bauer or make a move for a #2 behind Cole. As currently constructed, I don't see them getting past the ALCS, which is disappointing because their window with this current core may be starting to close. 

3 minutes ago, ak427 said:

German has been horrendous in Winter Ball and might not be a rotation option in 2021. Deivi looks promising but he's still very young. Not sure about Schmidt (don't know enough about him to make a call either way). As a Yankee fan, I'd love to go get Bauer or make a move for a #2 behind Cole. As currently constructed, I don't see them getting past the ALCS, which is disappointing because their window with this current core may be starting to close. 

Bauer would be a good get for sure. I'm hoping the Dodgers get him, but he makes any rotation much better. There are ultimately a small numbers of aces. A healthy Cole/Bauer/Severino top 3 would be the best top 3 probably, which is kind of my point, that the Yankees aren't far behind as some make it seem.

Didn't know about German being bad so far, but I still like this rotation and I'm positive it will be improved upon.  They are very much contenders this year. Probably in the top few.

3 hours ago, ak427 said:

German was also rusty sitting out that suspension for that long.  Pitchers take a while to get their groove back usually.

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

German was also rusty sitting out that suspension for that long.  Pitchers take a while to get their groove back usually.

For sure, but he also has already had legal issues and made some strange social media posts claiming he was done with baseball and now is back. I think the point I'm trying to make is that he's a complete wild card at this moment and the Yankees would be better served by assuming he won't contribute this season. If he does though, it'll be a nice addition. 

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Welp, with Lindor out the window the Yanks better sign DJL, and fast. If they fail to resign him I feel like were in for another lost season. 

DJLM is going to be a bad contract and the Mets are the Mets. 

People are going to call me all kinds of things but I'd like to see what they could get for Judge.  Still has a few years at pretty cheap money but is he someone your really going to want to pay when he will be in his 30's?  If there was no Stanton on the team I would never even bring this up but the fact you have his contract until the year 3068 I don't see how they aren't even considering this option.  I myself am kind of over with this boom or bust style when it comes to hitting.  Its fine in the regular season and maybe even for a round in the playoffs but with how baseball bullpens are stacked now your not winning championships hitting homeruns.  On top of that you have to be on the field to contribute and while Judge has been highly productive when he does play I would rather get something back while the guy still has some value.  

8 hours ago, knifeparty said:

People are going to call me all kinds of things but I'd like to see what they could get for Judge.  Still has a few years at pretty cheap money but is he someone your really going to want to pay when he will be in his 30's?  If there was no Stanton on the team I would never even bring this up but the fact you have his contract until the year 3068 I don't see how they aren't even considering this option.  I myself am kind of over with this boom or bust style when it comes to hitting.  Its fine in the regular season and maybe even for a round in the playoffs but with how baseball bullpens are stacked now your not winning championships hitting homeruns.  On top of that you have to be on the field to contribute and while Judge has been highly productive when he does play I would rather get something back while the guy still has some value.  

What should the Yanks be dealing Judge for? SP?

On 1/7/2021 at 10:21 AM, Thenewwildone8 said:

DJLM is going to be a bad contract and the Mets are the Mets. 

I'm no Mets homer but they have better hitters and starters than the Yankees, and a competitive bullpen.  And on top of it, they don't have the issue of their two best hitters having serious injury concerns.  I'd say the "Mets being the Mets" is losing its flavor and could leave quite a sour taste in the mouth come playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I'm no Mets homer but they have better hitters and starters than the Yankees, and a competitive bullpen.  And on top of it, they don't have the issue of their two best hitters having serious injury concerns.  I'd say the "Mets being the Mets" is losing its flavor and could leave quite a sour taste in the mouth come playoffs.

I was just thinking "Which NY team is better now?" 

4 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

1987, 1988, 2006, 2007... were all years the Mets “had” to go all the way. The Mets are the Mets, they’ll fall apart as usual unless a miracle happens. The Yankees have better hitting and pitching, as the Yankees are going to get inning eaters and Severino is better than both Carrasco and Stroman.

40 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

1987, 1988, 2006, 2007... were all years the Mets “had” to go all the way. The Mets are the Mets, they’ll fall apart as usual unless a miracle happens. The Yankees have better hitting and pitching, as the Yankees are going to get inning eaters and Severino is better than both Carrasco and Stroman.

I disagree with the idea that Severino is better coming off a major injury than Carrasco.  While he's good, Carrasco has more of a track record, and both he and Syndergaard have similar numbers to Severino.  After Severino, the Yankees have a bunch of guys that are completely unproven.  The Mets, after Carrasco have Syndergaard, Stroman, Peterson, and Matz to eat innings.

As for offense, while I would take the Yankees in a vacuum, as mentioned they are perpetually hurt.  I think the Mets offense is better than solid and can hang with the Yankees any day of the week.  I do concede that the Mets play in the tougher league and even division.  They have the more difficult road to and through the playoffs but they have made the right moves to at least get them into the conversation. 

I do Agree with you that Dj will probably end up being a bad contract and I think it would behoove the Yankees to wait to sign a SS from the class of 2022 and move Torres back to 2B.  

Edited by damana

12 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

What should the Yanks be dealing Judge for? SP?

Who needs pitching when we just signed Jhoulys Chacin!!!  In all honesty I haven't given it much thought other then just wanting to see what he could bring back at this stage.  Another season of 2-3 IL trips and subpar numbers pretty much drains any real value.  Of all the people available via trade right now I guess if I had my pick I would love to see Trevor Story for Judge be a thing.  Not sure how COL feels about that or what would have to be added on either side to make it happen.  You get Story and your not so hard pressed to have to sign DJ.  

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

No idea how the  1987 or 2007 Mets are relevant in any way to the 2021 Mets. 

Makes for good trash talk, I suppose, but hardly contributes to any real argument.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

^ you forgot the Yanks have G Cole

I left out Degrom and Cole because they are both aces at the top of their game.  The post was more about comparing the other pitchers in the rotation.