NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, damana said:

I left out Degrom and Cole because they are both aces at the top of their game.  The post was more about comparing the other pitchers in the rotation.

Ah ok, sorry for misunderstanding

12 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

or you know, you could give up nothing and just sign DJ and be even better

DJ+ Judge > Story

Thats good math right there 2 is greater then 1!  Wanting to move Judge has nothing to do with signing DJ.  I was asked what I would like to see in return for him in which I replied I was not sure but since Story's name has been thrown around I wouldn't mind that swap.  I realize your the ultimate Yankee fan and they can do no wrong in your eyes but do you really have faith in Judge?  I don't dislike the guy and when he's on the field he's mostly productive but these are not the same Yankees as when Papa George was running the team.  Why not gauge some interest and see what comes up?  If the deal isn't right you don't have to move him.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

Thats good math right there 2 is greater then 1!  Wanting to move Judge has nothing to do with signing DJ.  I was asked what I would like to see in return for him in which I replied I was not sure but since Story's name has been thrown around I wouldn't mind that swap.  I realize your the ultimate Yankee fan and they can do no wrong in your eyes but do you really have faith in Judge?  I don't dislike the guy and when he's on the field he's mostly productive but these are not the same Yankees as when Papa George was running the team.  Why not gauge some interest and see what comes up?  If the deal isn't right you don't have to move him.

Im legit not  a Yankees fan, honest. I think Judge is pretty good and young and I’m not sure you get such a big prospect haul for him that he should be traded. If you can sure. Yankees have Cole in his prime who they’re paying a lot for, especially his prime years. Doesn’t really make sense to trade good players for prospects. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rotation gets a little better in the past week with adding Kluber/Taillon. Currently roster resource has deivi out of the rotation and German as the 5th. Personally I think that likely switches but a cole/kluber/Montgomery/ tallion/deivi rotation is pretty dedent (not elite) with German and Schmidt so far as replacements and Severino likely a kid season return. I'm in on Montgomery as a back end sp pick in fantasy. 

• 2 months later...

They just traded for Rougned.  Why?

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Yankees are finalizing a trade with the Rangers for Rougned Odor.

Interestingly, Passan notes that the Rangers are expected to pick up nearly all of the $27 million remaining on Odor's contract. He’s owed $12 million this year and next, with a $3 million buyout on a $13 million club option for 2023. The Rangers otherwise would have let him walk and still owe him the money after recently designating him for assignment, so this way they still get something in return. They are expected to get a couple of minor leaguers in the deal. The 27-year-old Odor won't play a major role for the Yankees, but it's worth a shot to see if they can get his career back on track.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter    Apr 6, 2021, 2:06 PM ET

I mean it didn't cost him much but do they even have bench room for him on their roster?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why did they have to bother to trade for Odor?  Couldn't they have just straight-up signed him, since Odor was out of options and designated for assignment?  

I'm oddly intrigued by Odor as a Yankee. He bats lefty and his flyball rate and pull rate are both around 50%, so he could really take advantage of that short porch in RF. Still only 27 and has 3 seasons of 30+ HR and 10+ SB under his belt. Not sure how he gets playing time or if a turnaround is realistic but that's probably the best landing spot he could hope for.

2 hours ago, Overlord said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why did they have to bother to trade for Odor?  Couldn't they have just straight-up signed him, since Odor was out of options and designated for assignment?  

Rangers get 7 days to trade him before they have to put him on waivers. Nobody was going to claim him off waivers with his contract, but with the Rangers willing to pick up most of the salary there may have been other trade interest.

• Like 1

Poor guy is going to have to shave the awesome beard now!  I could see him getting a few starts a week at 2B and them moving DJ over to 1st.  Bruce is pretty much done at this point in his career.  I'd rather see a 27 year old Odor get some ABs over a 34 year old Bruce.  

24 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Is mandating that Hicks hit third for the Yankees some sort of league requirement to bolster parity against smaller market teams?  

Just now, this guy right here said:

Don't worry. He'll be out for three months with an oblique injury soon.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Rangers get 7 days to trade him before they have to put him on waivers. Nobody was going to claim him off waivers with his contract, but with the Rangers willing to pick up most of the salary there may have been other trade interest.

Thank you. 

**Sure would be nice if the gajillion sports journalists out there would accurate and fully report this sort of information.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

This weekend was a low point for sure. They have been hit really hard by injuries the past few seasons, and this year has been no different. They just lost Kluber and Voit for significant length of time, Hicks for the year. Stanton is back now, much needed because they haven't gotten much out of LeMahieu, Torres or some of the OFers. Judge has been carrying them and Urshela has been steady but unspectacular, and the rotation behind Cole has been good, but Deivi Garcia getting bombed in his start against the Tigers was not good. They just put Justin Wilson on IL with a "he sucks injury" and have Britton due back soon, O'Day perhaps behind. But they're going to probably go out and acquire another starter, and figure to be in the market for a bat that can play first. I thought Mike Ford might hit if given the chance, but it remains to be seen. They're keeping it together as best they can, but still can't seem to get over the hump against Tampa, who have established a firm grip on the division with a 5.5 game lead over the Yankees and 2 over Boston. I know its getting into the heads of Yankees fans at this point how much the Rays have had their number in recent years.

Edited by Richard Kimble

They're not making the playoffs. The Rays, Jays and Red Sox all have more position player talent than them. It's a really poorly constructed team that lacks athleticism. Gleyber is looking more and more like a utility infielder by the day, Stanton is always hurt, DJL has returned to his pre-juiced ball form and they're running guys like Brett Gardner and Rougie Odor out there on a consistent basis (both of whom have no business being in MLB at this point). Cashman should be on the hot seat but this newer generation of Yankees fans has been conditioned to accept mediocrity or "slightly above average" results so my guess is nothing happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billofwash said:

Look up the word 'sin' and it will show Stanton getting handed a paycheck.

Username checks out 

5 minutes ago, absknicks said:

They're not making the playoffs. The Rays, Jays and Red Sox all have more position player talent than them. It's a really poorly constructed team that lacks athleticism. Gleyber is looking more and more like a utility infielder by the day, Stanton is always hurt, DJL has returned to his pre-juiced ball form and they're running guys like Brett Gardner and Rougie Odor out there on a consistent basis (both of whom have no business being in MLB at this point). Cashman should be on the hot seat but this newer generation of Yankees fans has been conditioned to accept mediocrity or "slightly above average" results so my guess is nothing happens. 

Gleyber is looking more and more like someone who can’t look at the ball properly.

• Like 2

Why fire Boone or Cashman?  Today's game is run by nerds on computers (I can say nerd I am one) and managers just input the data they give them.  Do grown men really need to be coddled and inspired to play good baseball?  I am sure there are people in the system who know what the hitters are doing wrong and trying to correct it but if the players aren't good it won't get fixed.  I'm sorry but managers in baseball are the most overhyped position in all of sports.  I blame Cashman for the Stanton move but his hands are tied by George's sons right now.  They aren't cheap but they don't have that same hate to lose mentality their father had.  

This really just isn't a great team and it's finally catching up with them.  Other teams have gotten better and the Yankee's thinking they will just be great have gotten passed by.  I would take The Jay's roster over the Yankee's in a heartbeat.  If the Jay's pick up a real ace they may surpass the Rays as the AL East team to beat.  

• Like 1