NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2021 Outlook

Cashman seems to get a kick out of hitting on reclamation projects and while Rougned has been a pleasant surprise (at least he brings some energy to the team) that's not really a credible move for a supposed championship contender. 

I do tend to agree with @knifeparty on managers but I think you can judge the ambitions of this team by how long hitting coach Marcus Thames is employed. Even if the lack of runs isn't totally his fault, you can't say you're serious about winning if you just keep him on while this continues on into June. The team needs a shakeup and you can't fire the whole batting order.

The product on the field is absolutely the result of creating a one-dimensional team and the rest of the league figuring them out. Oh, and having your best players also be your most injury-prone. That's all on Cashman.

i was hoping the cubs wouldnt be so good so they yanks could trade for Kris Bryant....

anyways, not sure i can blame cashman or boone.  Voit has done nothing and was the HR champ last year (consistently 900+ ops when healthy).  no way cashman shouldnt have assumed Gleyber would go back to 2019 form (or better)...no way to assume Frazier, who OPS over 900 last year, would have an ops in the  mid 600s in june.  no way to assume DJL would go from 330 BA to 260.

the pitching staff has been great, the pen too.  even with Kluber out, they should be getting Sevy back at the end of the month....Britton too.

the only legit criticism is Stanton.  hard to assume Voit, Sanchez (maybe), torres, frazier, DJM, andujar, gardner and even Urshela would all just collectively suck.

not sure what they can do.  just hope that a couple of those guys really break out in june i guess...not sure who you can trade for tbh

Cashman really gave up 3 actual real life players for Roughned Odor. That, in itself, is a fireable offense.

These last 20 years are arguably the worst 20 year stretch in Yankee history and Brian Cashman has been at the helm for all of them. At what point can we start blaming him?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Cashman really gave up 3 actual real life players for Roughned Odor. That, in itself, is a fireable offense.

These last 20 years are arguably the worst 20 year stretch in Yankee history and Brian Cashman has been at the helm for all of them. At what point can we start blaming him?

I mean you can start whenever ud like.  I'd blame steinbrener more tho.  Stanton was not a great idea, and I don't like taillon....Hicks too But he's made some awesome trades and we just missed 2 world series possibly because we were cheated out of them...like look how great voit and urshela have been until recently.  EVERYONE love the Chapman for Torres trade.  He also signed chap andCole, two great decisions.  Guys like loisiga, cessca, green are all him too...and they have all been good to great.  Are u really blaming him for giving del a deal after basically hitting 330 for 3 years?  Baseball in general feels very weird this year, not just the yanks

Edited by jfazz23

Crazy how spoiled yank fans are hah

2013-2016 "rebuilding years" if you can even call them that, still 84+ wins

followed by 91 - 100 - 103 Wins

Cashman and co suck! clearly lol what a rough stretch they've had since 2000! Poor Yank fans I feel for yall.....

11 Crazy Fake Excuses for Calling in Sick

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Cashman excels at finding bargains on the market.  Where he struggles tho imo is with roster composition, namely on the offensive side of the ball.  The Yankees have a beer league softball lineup.  They have a ton of swing and miss while waiting for a 3 run homer.  They play in Yankee Stadium with it's short porch in RF, yet they have what amounts to an all RH'd lineup.   To not have LH'd hitters somewhere is baffling.  

That said, when you look at his decision making, move by move, you can see why most were made.  They opted for Torres over Eloy in the Chapman deal and you can understand why.  Torres is a SS which is more of a premium versus an OF.  They signed DJL who's been unreal.  They traded for Stanton who only cost the contract, and at the time the move was considered to be a good one.  They acquired Voit who is also RH, but he can play when healthy.  Urshela is another RH bat, but he's good.  It's just played out this way and in hindsight the moves seemingly make sense.  The one that I dislike is the Hicks contract.  It was 100% unnecessary.  Especially the years.  Going forward this roster needs a bit of a revamp or reconstruction.  They need a legitimate CF'er and some LH hitting.  A LH hitting catcher (where you find one who knows) and LH hitting CF would help balance the lineup a little bit.  I mention those because they're the only real spots that have replacable players, or open gigs going forward.  

16 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Cashman and co suck! clearly lol what a rough stretch they've had since 2000! Poor Yank fans I feel for yall.....

It's got nothing to do with being spoiled.  It has everything to do with expectations.  We're not the Orioles or the Pirates.  The Yankees are the best franchise in baseball history.  They play for rings, and as fans, we expect them to as well.  I'm a Patriots fan who sat thru the Rod Rust, Dick McPherson years of absolute futility.  We never had expectations, and merely prayed for a winning season or playoff berth.   That's not the case anymore up here.  The standard has been set over the last 20 years, and as fans, the expectation is a shot at a SB.   

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

It's got nothing to do with being spoiled.  It has everything to do with expectations.  We're not the Orioles or the Pirates.  The Yankees are the best franchise in baseball history.  They play for rings, and as fans, we expect them to as well.   

They are consistently regarded as a WS contender year after year, consistently crack 90 wins and win the Division Title a good amount as well............yet here we are lol Fans calling for GM to be fired

Spoiled

Edited by kmoore1521

14 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

They are consistently regarded as a WS contender year after year, consistently crack 90 wins and win the Division Title a good amount as well............yet here we are lol Fans calling for GM to be fired

Spoiled

I think it's ok considering the overall body of work.  If you are in a position to win the WS and only win 1 in those 20 years, then maybe you've (the GM in this case)  maxed out your abilities at the job.   Ultimately he's built teams that are good, but not good enough.  They have always seemingly sold out for power which runs contrary to what won them 4 titles in the 90's.  I understand the game changes over time, but his blueprint of filling a lineup with softball players can't quite get the job done, and that's a fair criticism imo.    

BTW, the Redsox have won what, 4 titles over those 20 years with 3 different GMs?   Results matter in the end.  Fair or not.

26 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Spoiled

Spoiled? lol With their payroll they better be regarded as WS contenders every year. Being contenders and not getting the job done that in itself shows us Yankee fans heads should roll. Last twenty years only three WS appearances. As another one wrote you can’t fire the whole team someone must be held accountable IMO this falls onto the the GM and manager. 

• Thanks 1

They've been nearly identical to last year's team so far winning-percentage-wise:

2020: 33-27 (.550)
2021 (so far): 30-25 (.545)

They look the same, too. Just-above-.500 team that squeaked in to the playoffs because they were expanded. Without pitching help I'm failing to see how they're much better than last year. No one had to feel good about Kluber being the #2 starter to start the season. As for the offense, it's definitely under-performing and I expect a turnaround, but it's also a bunch of streaky hitters that all seem to slump at once.

• Like 1

The entire perception of the last 5-6 years of the Yankees would be completely different if the Astros hadn't cheated them out of a WS appearance. 

Manfred, et al. should have stripped the Astros of their title and named the Dodgers the "NL Champion" and the Yankees "AL Champion."  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I think it's ok considering the overall body of work.  If you are in a position to win the WS and only win 1 in those 20 years, then maybe you've (the GM in this case)  maxed out your abilities at the job.   Ultimately he's built teams that are good, but not good enough.  They have always seemingly sold out for power which runs contrary to what won them 4 titles in the 90's.  I understand the game changes over time, but his blueprint of filling a lineup with softball players can't quite get the job done, and that's a fair criticism imo.    

BTW, the Redsox have won what, 4 titles over those 20 years with 3 different GMs?   Results matter in the end.  Fair or not.

Fair point, just stuck out to me the atmosphere in here when a good portion of other teams would be happy as a clam with Cashmans results as GM, always being a contender, consistently winning Div Titles etc.

28 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Spoiled? lol With their payroll they better be regarded as WS contenders every year. Being contenders and not getting the job done that in itself shows us Yankee fans heads should roll. Last twenty years only three WS appearances. As another one wrote you can’t fire the whole team someone must be held accountable IMO this falls onto the the GM and manager. 

Great point and without a doubt one of the reasons I thought might come up after my initial post, I've always given crap about their payroll and how they haven't won a WS is ages while spending the most, guess it goes both ways in that sense hah

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

Spoiled

I'd rather them finish last for years and be able to get excited that they made the playoffs if the did.

I became a Yankees fan in 1986. Three channels can in on my TV. One of them was WPIX which had some Yankees games.  I loved Don Mattingly. The stuck every year until he left. Never made the playoffs. (Had to get 1st back then) When they finally won in '96 it was great. It was unexpected. 

They were homegrown. The FA signings were roll players. Once the Yankees started buying every over prices aging veteran and became the favorite to win it sucked being a fan. There is no excitement. No anticipation. No "hope this is the year." Even if they did win the World Series (which has happened once since this nonsense) they are supposed to. 

Spoiled? 

It has ruined being a fan. Give me your team that you think will never win. I'd take it in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

It's not about being spoiled. The Yankees have 10x the resources of 90% of MLB teams. They should be competing for championships nearly every season in a sport that doesn't have a salary cap. 

53 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

I'd rather them finish last for years and be able to get excited that they made the playoffs if the did.

I became a Yankees fan in 1986. Three channels can in on my TV. One of them was WPIX which had some Yankees games.  I loved Don Mattingly. The stuck every year until he left. Never made the playoffs. (Had to get 1st back then) When they finally won in '96 it was great. It was unexpected. 

They were homegrown. The FA signings were roll players. Once the Yankees started buying every over prices aging veteran and became the favorite to win it sucked being a fan. There is no excitement. No anticipation. No "hope this is the year." Even if they did win the World Series (which has happened once since this nonsense) they are supposed to. 

Spoiled? 

It has ruined being a fan. Give me your team that you think will never win. I'd take it in a heartbeat. 

Dang, OG Fan right here, Kudos

47 minutes ago, absknicks said:

It's not about being spoiled. The Yankees have 10x the resources of 90% of MLB teams. They should be competing for championships nearly every season in a sport that doesn't have a salary cap. 

Not Wrong GIFs | Tenor

The Yankees figured judge and Stanton where going to be ruth and Gehrig. They felt them two could give them at least on average one run going through the lineup.

Gary Sanchez is a bad catcher with a strong arm and pretty much Chris Davis.

Like a few people said they built a softball team. It doesn't help lemahui is doing nothing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, absknicks said:

100%.  In evaluating Cashman, I look at it this way....how would he do if he was the GM of a smaller market team without the immense resources he has with the Yankees?  Even with an average sized payroll, I can’t help but think those teams would be horrendous.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Sox, Blue Jays, and Rays should let the Yankees win a few more to keep them thinking they have a good enough team to compete.  Beating their brains in like all 3 have done this season is going to possibly make them change their thought process on having stiffs all over the field.  Can't even call the Yankees HR or bust because they aren't even hitting HRs.  I know the great and powerful Yankee's are too proud to rebuild but they really need one.  Also, we all know a rebuild with them wouldn't necessarily be a real rebuild with all the resources they have.  Maybe 2 years of not being good until some of their younger guys are ready.  I really hope if they do make some moves they hold onto Peraza at SS.   He is one of the few prospects they have had in years I am excited to see play.  

Edited by knifeparty