NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2021 Outlook

Last week I got a lot of flack when i mentioned the yankees are one of the worst line ups in baseball. They don't score runs. and are down with the Bottom offenses in baseball in Runs scored Per game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mks said:

Last week I got a lot of flack when i mentioned the yankees are one of the worst line ups in baseball. They don't score runs. and are down with the Bottom offenses in baseball in Runs scored Per game.

I was surprised to see they have a -4 run differential on the year despite being tied for the least amount of Runs Allowed in the American League.

8 hours ago, mks said:

I haven't liked this team for years and I am a lifelong fan.  I really want them to move Judge as I have said months ago on this thread.  They aren't going to be able to pay him and even if they could do you really want another guy who is made of glass as your face of the franchise?  Trade him now while his value is high and see what he brings back.  They are so far behind several teams talent wise in the AL it's time they realize this.  

50 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

When is the last time the Yankees have had a Friday off during the season?

The Yankees, or any MLB team for that matter as far as I can recall. Very strange indeed.

Now,  a few thoughts on the Yankees I posted on another thread & I'll add more thoughts here:

1) The scalp that most Yankees fans want unfortunately they won't get- Hal Steinbrenner. Ever since George S passed away, this went from a championship or bust, win at any cost, luxury tax be damned mantra to a let's win at this cost; in this instance staying under the 1st luxury tax, the $210 luxury tax threshold. Yes, George S made dumb, impulsive decisions & thankfully Gene Michael kept him from doing even more dumb things but at least he was all in for better or worse. Hal S is the opposite. To make an analogy, it's like the sons in the mafia taking over for the fathers & read up on mafia history for the younger posters to see how that went. Also, don't fall for the "We'll stay under the tax this season to to add X,Y,Z player in the off season". Ask the fans waiting for Bryce Harper or Manny Machado how that went. 

2) Brian Cashman- To me, he's the one that has to go. Will he fall on his sword as was suggested earlier? I honestly don't know but he needed to be gone yesterday. Yes, he's made a few smart trades but do not fall for the narrative of him walking on water that his sycophants in the media (seems most all Yankees media want fans to believe this) continuously peddle which is now going on 2 decades strong.  "Luis Severino will be that #2 starter fans have wanted; this will be the equivalent of a mid season trade" and on & on. SMH. Also, I'm no fan of Hal S, but when your boss gives you a $210M budget, while other multi million dollar owners are pocketing revenue, and this is the best team you can bring to the table, this is on Brian C not Hal S.

3) Aaron Boone- Should've never been hired to begin with but the reality is, he can be fired after tomorrow's game (off day today) & it'll make a couple of fans happy for a few hours if that. Nothing will change because Brian C. and his analytics flunkies will find another lackey they can manage from the VP/GM box suite.  These analytics geeks along w/ Brian Cashman are the ones that really need to go.       

Unless Hal S has a dramatic change in philosophy, there will be no trade(s) of Trevor Story, Max Scherzer or a big ticket of that type. Ketel Marte, Bryan Reynolds etc. like these Twitter GMs or other keyboard GMs in social media want is just that - Twitter GMs/ fantasy baseball trades. What team watching their budget , in their right mind, trade quality young, inexpensive, players w/ years of control?  Honestly, I see no trade of significance being made. Unless the Yankees go in sell mode, I'm not seeing a big addition. I see more of the reclamation project / lottery ticket type deal. Will be happy to be proven wrong.   

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 7:48 PM, knifeparty said:

I haven't liked this team for years and I am a lifelong fan.  I really want them to move Judge as I have said months ago on this thread.  They aren't going to be able to pay him and even if they could do you really want another guy who is made of glass as your face of the franchise?  Trade him now while his value is high and see what he brings back.  They are so far behind several teams talent wise in the AL it's time they realize this.  

NO team should ever pick up the phone if the yankees call for trades for Judge. Let the yankees suffer with him and Stanton both are pretty  useless players really.  Judges value was high when he hit 52 homers 3 yrs ago, since then he not worth a piece of chewed up bubble gum.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mks said:

NO team should ever pick up the phone if the yankees call for trades for Judge. Let the yankees suffer with him and Stanton both are pretty  useless players really.  Judges value was high when he hit 52 homers 3 yrs ago, since then he not worth a piece of chewed up bubble gum.

It’s very hard to take your opinion seriously when you say things like this

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 7:48 PM, knifeparty said:

Yankee fans crack me up thinking the other teams are so stupid they  will just give up their talent for broken down bad back spasm useless ballplayers like Aaron Judge . Just to to help bail out the Yankees mistakes . $300 million dollars worth of useless roster the Yankees have.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mks said:

Yankee fans crack me up thinking the other teams are so stupid they  will just give up their talent for broken down bad back spasm useless ballplayers like Aaron Judge . Just to to help bail out the Yankees mistakes . $300 million dollars worth of useless roster the Yankees have.

I would love it if we spent that much on the roster - Cash is not going to trade Aaron Judge.  

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

It’s very hard to take your opinion seriously when you say things like this

I know its Hard to accept reality if your a yankees fan. General Sorness is about useless cause he can;t play. NO teams going to give up much talent to take him off their hands why would teams want another name on their IL  you might get a low A player for him .

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

I would love it if we spent that much on the roster - Cash is not going to trade Aaron Judge.  

He can;t trade him cause no other team wants him

1 minute ago, mks said:

I know its Hard to accept reality if your a yankees fan. General Sorness is about useless cause he can;t play. NO teams going to give up much talent to take him off their hands why would teams want another name on their IL  you might get a low A player for him .

I think it’s a moot point - he’s not getting traded

1 minute ago, mks said:

He can;t trade him cause no other team wants him

Reality baseball is very different from fantasy baseball - I know you’re piqued by his recent injury (common among sluggers of large build), but that means nothing in real life.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I think it’s a moot point - he’s not getting traded

I don't see it happening either but I honestly don't see what they have that can bring back anything that changes the dynamic of this team.  Are they going to just trade all their bullpen guys again like they did when they got Torres from the Cubs?  I just hate that there is no discussion about moving on from Judge.  The one player that could bring you back a nice haul to the right contending team.  

11 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

I don't see it happening either but I honestly don't see what they have that can bring back anything that changes the dynamic of this team.  Are they going to just trade all their bullpen guys again like they did when they got Torres from the Cubs?  I just hate that there is no discussion about moving on from Judge.  The one player that could bring you back a nice haul to the right contending team.  

Which contending team are you thinking of? In my mind it would have to be an AL team where you could DH him. Also against him is he would be a FA after next year and the last three years (including the 60 game season) Judge has missed close 150 games.

Yankees are going to have some tough choices in the next couple of years if Steinbrenner holds the line on staying on under the Luxury Tax

Ruined by a poor analytics team.

They have two behemoths who are told to swing for the fences in every situation. They play in a ban box that MEER CONTACT could easily be put in the seats. Plus, and this applies to every player, when there are two strikes and a guy on third with less than two outs when they're down by one in the ninth inning..........

MAKE F-ING CONTACT!

Edited by this guy right here

12 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Which contending team are you thinking of? In my mind it would have to be an AL team where you could DH him. Also against him is he would be a FA after next year and the last three years (including the 60 game season) Judge has missed close 150 games.

Yankees are going to have some tough choices in the next couple of years if Steinbrenner holds the line on staying on under the Luxury Tax

Honestly I haven't really thought about which team.  Judge is productive and is decent in the OF.  He's not just a 2 month rental either since they would have all of 2022 with him for chump change.  In a perfect world the Yankees could dump Stanton and take their chances with Judge but come the end of 2022 I don't want both of them on the same team.  Even if Hal was going to go over the Luxury Tax I wouldn't want it to be for Judge.  He's having a really nice season so far and IMO is the only Yankee (minus prospects) that bring back any real haul.  Maybe Britton and Chapman get you some decent pieces but nothing like Judge would bring back.  

On 6/11/2021 at 7:18 PM, PinstripeGM said:

The Yankees, or any MLB team for that matter as far as I can recall. Very strange indeed.

Now,  a few thoughts on the Yankees I posted on another thread & I'll add more thoughts here:

1) The scalp that most Yankees fans want unfortunately they won't get- Hal Steinbrenner. Ever since George S passed away, this went from a championship or bust, win at any cost, luxury tax be damned mantra to a let's win at this cost; in this instance staying under the 1st luxury tax, the $210 luxury tax threshold. Yes, George S made dumb, impulsive decisions & thankfully Gene Michael kept him from doing even more dumb things but at least he was all in for better or worse. Hal S is the opposite. To make an analogy, it's like the sons in the mafia taking over for the fathers & read up on mafia history for the younger posters to see how that went. Also, don't fall for the "We'll stay under the tax this season to to add X,Y,Z player in the off season". Ask the fans waiting for Bryce Harper or Manny Machado how that went. 

2) Brian Cashman- To me, he's the one that has to go. Will he fall on his sword as was suggested earlier? I honestly don't know but he needed to be gone yesterday. Yes, he's made a few smart trades but do not fall for the narrative of him walking on water that his sycophants in the media (seems most all Yankees media want fans to believe this) continuously peddle which is now going on 2 decades strong.  "Luis Severino will be that #2 starter fans have wanted; this will be the equivalent of a mid season trade" and on & on. SMH. Also, I'm no fan of Hal S, but when your boss gives you a $210M budget, while other multi million dollar owners are pocketing revenue, and this is the best team you can bring to the table, this is on Brian C not Hal S.

3) Aaron Boone- Should've never been hired to begin with but the reality is, he can be fired after tomorrow's game (off day today) & it'll make a couple of fans happy for a few hours if that. Nothing will change because Brian C. and his analytics flunkies will find another lackey they can manage from the VP/GM box suite.  These analytics geeks along w/ Brian Cashman are the ones that really need to go.       

Unless Hal S has a dramatic change in philosophy, there will be no trade(s) of Trevor Story, Max Scherzer or a big ticket of that type. Ketel Marte, Bryan Reynolds etc. like these Twitter GMs or other keyboard GMs in social media want is just that - Twitter GMs/ fantasy baseball trades. What team watching their budget , in their right mind, trade quality young, inexpensive, players w/ years of control?  Honestly, I see no trade of significance being made. Unless the Yankees go in sell mode, I'm not seeing a big addition. I see more of the reclamation project / lottery ticket type deal. Will be happy to be proven wrong.   

Generally agree as Cashman and his band of analytic fools are the main culprit.  Hal Steinbrenner unfortunately neither has the brains nor the passion of his father.  He is content to just make money off the  team and sit back and let Cashman run it.  You hardly ever see him and he gives very few interviews to media.  There is no accountability at all among Yankee management as such.  Cashman does not feel threatened.  Boone maybe does as a fall guy for Cashman and his analyst's staff stupidity, but they will just replace him with someone else just as controllable.

As to fixing the team, even if they turned into seller's, they will not do much unless they just decide to clean house (which is what needs to happen).  Offensively, outside of Judge, Urshela, Lemahieu and Voit, they all need to go.  Sanchez and Gardner are gone for next season anyway as they would be crazy to re-sign either. They should see if they can get a bat and a bag of rocks for Sanchez...maybe someone would part with a mid-level prospect to rent him out now that he is looking somewhat better.  They should look to deal Torres and Hicks in the off-season for whatever they can get.  Torres is a lousy fielder and inconsistent at best and hicks just can't stay on the field at all.  Stanton and his constant injuries is untrade-able because of the contract, so they are just going to have to live with him at DH and try to coddle some level of performance out of him while he is on the field.  Frazier has lost most of his value because they have done a great job of messing the kid up imo....oh you have the job full time, but go 0-8 and Gardner is in LF the next day lol.  He needs to be sent to AAA to get his head straightened out.  Maybe he can get back to the player he was in 2020...maybe not. 

On the pitching side, they should look to deal their bullpen pieces to contenders as that is where maybe they can get some decent return for the likes of Chapman, Britton, Green and others.  Makes no sense to play this "Quest for the ineffective reliever"   game when you are a 500 team going nowhere imo.  And they better do that before these guys arms fall off from over use.  As to the starters, outside of Cole you have a collection of mediocrity and injury prone players.  Does not make sense to jettison mediocre pitchers like Montgomery and German as they may develop and you do need someone to be 3-5 starters.  Cole is basically near unmoveable with that contract even if he agreed to a deal and at least he is doing his job.

Of course none of that is likely to happen because they will never admit defeat even if they continue to compete with the Tigers for lowest runs scored in the AL, though it may happen if they continue to fall and end up 15+ games out by mid July.  Admitting defeat will tank TV ratings\ad revenue and that is what Hal Steinbrenner worries about the most.

They have nothing to sell. It was quite unusual for them to trade Andrew Miller and Aroldis Chapman back in 2016. Even when they find themselves in a similar situation out of contention by the deadline, they just don't have anyone worth moving. I'm curious to know which upcoming Free Agent the Yankees fans covet to help get them back on track? Time to turn your sights to 2022 and beyond. Oh, Derek Jeter is still going to be inducted in the HOF this summer, so Yankees fans can look forward to that 🙄

Edited by Richard Kimble

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

They have nothing to sell. It was quite unusual for them to trade Andrew Miller and Aroldis Chapman back in 2016. Even when they find themselves in a similar situation out of contention by the deadline, they just don't have anyone worth moving. I'm curious to know which upcoming Free Agent the Yankees fans covet to help get them back on track? Time to turn your sights to 2022 and beyond. Oh, Derek Jeter is still going to be inducted in the HOF this summer, so Yankees fans can look forward to that 🙄

Please...in this day of relief pitcher mania, they could get something decent for the likes of Chapman, Britton, Green, Loaisiga and others in the pen.  Not that they are likely to repeat 2016's return, but there is little to gain in spending that much on bp arms for a 500 or worse team.  Whether they will be sellers is another issue entirely.

As to free agents, they should not waste their time beyond looking for a decent CF.    Keep Voit, Lemahieu, Urshela, Judge and Stanton (in Stanton's case because they have no choice) and jettison everyone else.  Get a decent CF and fill in with some solid role players that actually can execute fundamentals.

I disagree they can sell those guys you mentioned because there are so many more affordable relief options available on the trade market. There's no universe in which they trade Chapman, and I'm not sure how they view Loasigia long term but he's a great asset to have. Britton is too expensive for someone to add for 2 months when he's barely an upgrade. Green, cheap, but like Loasigia the Yankees will want more than a mid-level prospect for his years of control, and they won't get it. Like I said, they have nothing to trade. They even are stuck with Justin Wilson because he signed a 2-year deal.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

#WheresHal

40-38, 7.5 games back in the AL East. 6 from the Wild card.

Numbers going into last night with Runners in Scoring position and they only got worse after last night:

.216 BA- 29th

.304 SLG- Last

.627 OPS- 29th

115 Hits- Last

11 HR- 27th

160 RBI- Last

2 SB- 29th

28 GIDP- Most  

Since the Yankees really aren't trading from strength, a combination of high salaried and underperforming players plus the farm system is not stocked with blue chippers, one would think they'd give some players in Triple A like Hoy Jun Park, Estevan Florial (more than a few ABS, give him a real chance) or Trey Amburgey or even bring up Greg Allen just to have a real CF.  Not saying these Triple A guys are saviors but can it get any worse than what is out there now? At least try something. 

Why not try internal options first, instead of trading for a shiny new object that will likely do nothing for this team. What Hal S should do is man up and fire this entire management team from Brian Cashman, scouts, player development, the analytics flunkies, Aaron Boone, coaches everyone. This should've happened before the season but it didn't. Hal S needs to hire a real GM/VP that is baseball 1st, that can run an organization from the bottom up. Strong player development, strong scouting, timely trades etc. Get a real manager, a field general not some yes man getting the lineup from the interns in GM/VP suite. 

As long as fans continue showing up to the stadium and not putting this team's feet to the fire, this malaise will continue with no one being held accountable. I've said this before; firing Aaron Boone will only make fans happy for a few hours, if that. Yes, he should go (shouldn't have been hired to begin with as I've said) but this entire management team has to go. That's the one thing Hal S can do for me then he can go back to anonymity & I won't have to wonder where he is anymore. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PinstripeGM said:

#WheresHal

40-38, 7.5 games back in the AL East. 6 from the Wild card.

Numbers going into last night with Runners in Scoring position and they only got worse after last night:

.216 BA- 29th

.304 SLG- Last

.627 OPS- 29th

115 Hits- Last

11 HR- 27th

160 RBI- Last

2 SB- 29th

28 GIDP- Most  

Since the Yankees really aren't trading from strength, a combination of high salaried and underperforming players plus the farm system is not stocked with blue chippers, one would think they'd give some players in Triple A like Hoy Jun Park, Estevan Florial (more than a few ABS, give him a real chance) or Trey Amburgey or even bring up Greg Allen just to have a real CF.  Not saying these Triple A guys are saviors but can it get any worse than what is out there now? At least try something. 

Why not try internal options first, instead of trading for a shiny new object that will likely do nothing for this team. What Hal S should do is man up and fire this entire management team from Brian Cashman, scouts, player development, the analytics flunkies, Aaron Boone, coaches everyone. This should've happened before the season but it didn't. Hal S needs to hire a real GM/VP that is baseball 1st, that can run an organization from the bottom up. Strong player development, strong scouting, timely trades etc. Get a real manager, a field general not some yes man getting the lineup from the interns in GM/VP suite. 

As long as fans continue showing up to the stadium and not putting this team's feet to the fire, this malaise will continue with no one being held accountable. I've said this before; firing Aaron Boone will only make fans happy for a few hours, if that. Yes, he should go (shouldn't have been hired to begin with as I've said) but this entire management team has to go. That's the one thing Hal S can do for me then he can go back to anonymity & I won't have to wonder where he is anymore. 

I had to make sure Waldo was still in the picture, I found him in less than 30 seconds actually!

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2021 at 3:57 PM, OaksterDan said:

Judge is OPSing around .900, and is not yet on a mega-contract. At least half the league would be interested if the Yankees wanted to trade him.

If baffles me that Yankee fans think it's preposterous to even mention trading Judge.  IDK if it's just because they like him as a person (I feel the same) but to not see the potential value in moving this guy is just pure stupidity.  They are stuck with the stiff Stanton until the year 3050 and now who knows what's going on with Garrett Cole and his 30 million a year.  Do you really want to invest another 25+ per year in a guy who has been so injury prone and approaching the age of 30?  This team is absolutely horribly constructed as is.  They have been passed by not only the Rays and Red Sox but also the Blue Jays who may be the best of the 4 now.  Then you have the fans who say just trade Clint Frazier or Gary Sanchez or Stanton.  What team is going to give you anything of any value for any of those 3.  They would have to pay 3/4 of Stanton's contract just to get some fool of a team to even take him.  Sanchez may bring back a little something if a team thinks they can get Gary Sanchez of the past 3 weeks but I doubt it.  Frazier forget about it.  The good old Yanks and their overvaluing of prospects.  I remember when Joba Chamberlin and Phil Hughes were untouchable as well and well we all know how those 2 turned out.  

Sorry I just needed to vent a little.  It sucks when watching your team makes you sick to your stomach.  I have no problem with my team being bad but when your team is bad and completely unlikable it makes it 10x worse.    

• Like 2