NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2021 Outlook

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well yet another flat-footed, three true outcome power hitter.  Why don't the Yankees get more LeMahieu types and less Stanton types and build a balanced team?

They tried Locastro - that didn’t work out as expected 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BMcP said:

They tried Locastro - that didn’t work out as expected 

Well Locastro isn't exactly a top tier guy.  Think what a Sterling Marte could have done instead?  Did the Yankees even try for him?  Speed and defense and excellent OBP.  Seems a better add to build a team for the stretch run than Gallo to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well Locastro isn't exactly a top tier guy.  Think what a Sterling Marte could have done instead?  Did the Yankees even try for him?  Speed and defense and excellent OBP.  Seems a better add to build a team for the stretch run than Gallo to me.

Are you saying Gallo doesnt play good defense and provide excellent OBP?? I'd rather have that beautiful power stroke in Yankee Stadium than a speed guy. Also the yanks desperately needed a lefty bat in the middle of their lineup.

Gimme Gallo any second of the day over Marte.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well yet another flat-footed, three true outcome power hitter.  Why don't the Yankees get more LeMahieu types and less Stanton types and build a balanced team?

I agree with your premise but Marte is 32. Last thing Yankees need is someone old and injury prone.  

• Like 1

Fans following this team are aware of Scenario #2 (Luxury tax mandate). Not sure how scenario #1 (Jon Heyman) happens unless luxury tax mandate is lifted by Hal Steinbrenner or some salary is traded off as has been posted on this thread & mentioned by Joel Sherman. If Yankees only have one deal left, I'd rather it'd be for pitching than Trevor Story. The next 24-32 hours should be interesting.  

Edited by PinstripeGM

Todays game so far pretty much sums up the yankees season.  they took the first two on the road against tampa.  in line for a sweep with their best pitcher Cole on the mound.  

Cole proceeds to give up 4 runs in the first....

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

Todays game so far pretty much sums up the yankees season.  they took the first two on the road against tampa.  in line for a sweep with their best pitcher Cole on the mound.  

Cole proceeds to give up 4 runs in the first....

I knew there was some deja vu here, I remember that the first series in June, the Yanks took the first two against Tampa, and then Cole gave up 5 ER over 5 IP while Yarborough through a CG 1 ER on June 3 to blow the chance at a sweep. As I was saying in GDT, they have lost some real tough ones to their rivals, and they have looked very bad in doing so at times. 

Correction-It was a 4 game set that started May 31, won by TB, so the game I mentioned was a chance for the Yankees to win 3-1 in the series. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PinstripeGM said:

Fair point.

Yeah, just what they need, namely another high k, low avg, swing for the fences all the time slugger.  And with that they are going to win a pennant?  Improvement,...sure.  Can he be flipped later on in the off season or in 2022 for prospects...sure.  In the end though, all they are doing is putting lipstick on this pig.  The team has too many issues to fix with one player, let alone a flawed one like Gallo imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Yeah, just what they need, namely another high k, low avg, swing for the fences all the time slugger.  And with that they are going to win a pennant?  Improvement,...sure.  Can he be flipped later on in the off season or in 2022 for prospects...sure.  In the end though, all they are doing is putting lipstick on this pig.  The team has too many issues to fix with one player, let alone a flawed one like Gallo imo.

Who did you want them to acquire?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Who did you want them to acquire?

I mean, it’s just so lazy as a fan of a team to **** on their trade choices - but wow, if ever someone filled a need in so many areas for a team who was available in such a favorable deal that would allow the acquiring team to make another deal, this move would qualify.

14 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I mean, it’s just so lazy as a fan of a team to **** on their trade choices - but wow, if ever someone filled a need in so many areas for a team who was available in such a favorable deal that would allow the acquiring team to make another deal, this move would qualify.

I'm no fan of Brian Cashman & the points @secretagentmanbrings are real but to get a young (27), LH slugger who can play CF, is an elite defender in all OFs positions,  while staying under the $210M luxury tax mandate (Imposed by Hal S & of Cashman's doing but that's another conversation) , not giving up prospects in your top 10-12, giving up prospects in this trade who the team was concerned about losing in the Rule 5 draft & have Texas pick up salary so Yankees don't go over the luxury tax, allowing for another trade is something that as a critic of Brian Cashman has to be acknowledged. What @BMcPraises is a fair question: What player would fans want and can be acquired given all the factors just mentioned?   

Edited by PinstripeGM
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Posted my thoughts on the trade on a separate post but I agree this team is too flawed to be win a championship but not only have stranger things happened you can't stop from trying. In a perfect world, Max Scherzer would be the trade I'd make  but that's not happening. Fans have rightfully bashed this team for trades of Wandy Peralta, Rougned Odor, Tim Locastro, Clay Holmes & having to trade Luis Cessa (out of options, due for a salary increase & seems Yankees didn't want to pay him plus may risk losing him if arbitration wasn't offered  )to free up money to make trades. While Gallo is not a perfect player he checks off boxes that needed checking off (LH power, potential CF ). Again, I've always felt we don't have the pitching to make a sustained run & while Gallo is not a perfect player it's the best Brian Cashman could do after he painted this team in a corner.       

I would add: 1) takes walks, creating more RBI opportunities; 2) can produce XBHs when not homering; 3) always wanted to be a Yankee.  I know that last doesn’t sound important, but I have always thought it is.

1 hour ago, PinstripeGM said:

I'm no fan of Brian Cashman & the points @secretagentmanbrings are real but to get a young (27), LH slugger who can play CF, is an elite defender in all OFs positions,  while staying under the $210M luxury tax mandate (Imposed by Hal S & of Cashman's doing but that's another conversation) , not giving up prospects in your top 10-12, giving up prospects in this trade who the team was concerned about losing in the Rule 5 draft & have Texas pick up salary so Yankees don't go over the luxury tax, allowing for another trade is something that as a critic of Brian Cashman has to be acknowledged. What @BMcPraises is a fair question: What player would fans want and can be acquired given all the factors just mentioned?   

They should not be trading any prospects for players that should not be in their long term plans and who are just more of the problem with this team's all or nothing, high K philosophy unless of course you think they can flip Gallo for a higher return in 2022 (dubious). 

Seriously, if you think this is going to make them a pennant winner, you are just hoping beyond hope.  As much as I want to see them turn it around, nothing indicates that is liekly to happen.  A little realism is in order...a flawed team that cannot score runs, can not hit with runners in scoring position, horrible base running instincts, no speed, has gotten zip out of 1b, LF, CF all season.  Next to zip out of SS.  A starting staff that consists of a #1 in Cole (sticky stuff not withstanding), a number 3/4 in Montgomery and a bunch of 4-5s if that in the rest of them by the numbers.   Severino who has not pitched in a MLB game in how many years now or Kluber (also can't stay on the field) will be the saviors...more hope rather than pragmatic realism.   Add in a bullpen that is shot and whose top arms (Chapman and Briton) have been pretty erratic (to be kind). 

I have said it before, but the problem with this team offensively is its homer or nothing, high K, complete lack of situational hitting approach.  In simple terms, they play stupid baseball.  This is not solving any of this.  To be fair, the real culprit in all this is Cashman and there are certain players like Lamahieu and to a lesser extent Urshella who were the exceptions to this flawed approach and who are unfortunately having down seasons.  The combo of that with the rest of the issues is basically a killer.

1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

They should not be trading any prospects for players that should not be in their long term plans and who are just more of the problem with this team's all or nothing, high K philosophy unless of course you think they can flip Gallo for a higher return in 2022 (dubious). 

Seriously, if you think this is going to make them a pennant winner, you are just hoping beyond hope.  As much as I want to see them turn it around, nothing indicates that is liekly to happen.  A little realism is in order...a flawed team that cannot score runs, can not hit with runners in scoring position, horrible base running instincts, no speed, has gotten zip out of 1b, LF, CF all season.  Next to zip out of SS.  A starting staff that consists of a #1 in Cole (sticky stuff not withstanding), a number 3/4 in Montgomery and a bunch of 4-5s if that in the rest of them by the numbers.   Severino who has not pitched in a MLB game in how many years now or Kluber (also can't stay on the field) will be the saviors...more hope rather than pragmatic realism.   Add in a bullpen that is shot and whose top arms (Chapman and Briton) have been pretty erratic (to be kind). 

I have said it before, but the problem with this team offensively is its homer or nothing, high K, complete lack of situational hitting approach.  In simple terms, they play stupid baseball.  This is not solving any of this.  To be fair, the real culprit in all this is Cashman and there are certain players like Lamahieu and to a lesser extent Urshella who were the exceptions to this flawed approach and who are unfortunately having down seasons.  The combo of that with the rest of the issues is basically a killer.

I agree with all your points as I stated in my previous post but from what I've read the prospects in the Gallo deal were below the top 12. It's not like Jasson Dominguez or Anthony Volpe were in this deal.  Ad infinitum I've said that Brian Cashman et al need to go & he has painted the Yankees into the corner they're currently in but Gallo was the best hand that could be played with the cards dealt, albeit this  is of Cashman's doing.

10 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Pennant winner?  I think the team and fans generally are hoping for a WC berth and to have a shot at this.