NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2021 Outlook

2 minutes ago, PinstripeGM said:

I agree with all your points as I stated in my previous post but from what I've read the prospects in the Gallo deal were below the top 12. It's not like Jasson Dominguez or Anthony Volpe were in this deal.  Ad infinitum I've said that Brian Cashman et al need to go & he has painted the Yankees into the corner they're currently in but Gallo was the best hand that could be played with the cards dealt, albeit this  is of Cashman's doing.

That all may be true as they did not give up a lot in reality, but I believe it is likely the pre-cursor to more deals trying to save a season that is almost guaranteed to be a lost one.  Story or Rizzo or whoever that would be strictly rentals.  They talked about trading Voit.  Played games dealing Cessa.  I just do not want to see Cashman sell chips off trying to salvage this.  It makes no sense.  But as long as Hal S. is behind the fool Cashman,  there is not much hope of good management coming in and trying to fix this properly imo.

7 minutes ago, PinstripeGM said:

I agree with all your points as I stated in my previous post but from what I've read the prospects in the Gallo deal were below the top 12. It's not like Jasson Dominguez or Anthony Volpe were in this deal.  Ad infinitum I've said that Brian Cashman et al need to go & he has painted the Yankees into the corner they're currently in but Gallo was the best hand that could be played with the cards dealt, albeit this  is of Cashman's doing.

The main problem I have with the OP’s post is the notion that any of the prospects (Rule 5-eligible) we parted with had any role to play in the team’s long-term plans as starters.

17 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well Locastro isn't exactly a top tier guy.  Think what a Sterling Marte could have done instead?  Did the Yankees even try for him?  Speed and defense and excellent OBP.  Seems a better add to build a team for the stretch run than Gallo to me.

Does not fit into their stupid philosophy of 3 true outcomes, HR, K, walk.  There is little hope that changes as long as Cashman and his computer geeks are in charge imo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Does not fit into their stupid philosophy of 3 true outcomes, HR, K, walk.  There is little hope that changes as long as Cashman and his computer geeks are in charge imo.

Hahaha!  You do realize the Yanks evinced interest in the soon-to-be-33-year-old speedster.  It just appears you don’t really follow what this team is doing or where it’s priorities should lie.

I wasn’t a big fan of trading for Joey Gallo, I agree with every point made by  @secretagentman. I don’t see the Yankees making a long run in playoffs us Yankee fans know there is a lot of holes in basic hitting moving a runner etc. the starting staff looks godawful. At least the Yankees are trying to make a push for the playoffs and not just mailing the season end. Stranger things have happen once a team makes the playoffs maybe 🤞they band together and win games. Now they go out and get another lefty in Rizzo yes things are looking good in Yankee land. 

36 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

would any of you Yankee fans give up Dominguez in any Scherzer/Turner deal?

I've always believed the Yankees do not have the prospect capital to acquire Trea Turner ( Max Scherzer prefers the west coast so I'll leave him out of the equation for now but all is negotiable/ can be swayed).

For the MILB prospect gurus, how does this compare or what would be a comparable package that the Yankees would have to put together. Here's what LA Dodgers are rumored to be offering plus San Diego seemed to have traded for Max a few hours ago.

Edited by PinstripeGM

45 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Max already said no to a trade with NY.  He wants one of the three west coast contenders and was open to coming to Boston as well.  But now all that is pretty moot as the Dodgers empty their farm for him and the bigger get, Trea Turner.

BTW Trea Turner is the type of player the Yankees need more than any other kind.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Yes.  But it won’t happen.

I thought maybe they were showcasing Florial some to trade but after seeing him play in two of the four games here in Boston if I were a Yankee fan I'd want to keep him big time.  Looks almost as tall as Judge but more of a linebacker build which makes the fact that he can run like the wind even more amazing.  Took a few years in the wilderness but he finally looks ready to play.  Thus he gets sent down to make room for Rizzo, heh.

So far Red Sox haven’t done ****. I figured they would be buyers and improve there team. Where is that first baseman & starting pitcher.

another strong performance from ERod 

Edited by shakestreet
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I thought maybe they were showcasing Florial some to trade but after seeing him play in two of the four games here in Boston if I were a Yankee fan I'd want to keep him big time.  Looks almost as tall as Judge but more of a linebacker build which makes the fact that he can run like the wind even more amazing.  Took a few years in the wilderness but he finally looks ready to play.  Thus he gets sent down to make room for Rizzo, heh.

I liked what I saw from Florial & also pleasantly surprised by Greg Allen. Boggles my mind how the Brett Gardners & Tyler Wades of the world like bad dandruff never go away. I understand Florial should be getting every day ABs which explains the demotion this time but before Rizzo & Gallo arrived he couldn't get on the 25 man roster then fighting for playing time against sub par players once he's up. I guess the analytics flunkies in Brian Cashman's suite who make out the lineup for Aaron Boone feel different than most fans who watch this team daily & trust what they're seeing not depending on a computer printout.     

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

So far Red Sox haven’t done ****. I figured they would be buyers and improve there team. Where is that first baseman & starting pitcher.

another strong performance from ERod 

I thought Boston was the landing spot for Anthony Rizzo. Eric Hosmer has been mentioned but not sure that's a good idea. As for SPs, they're active on Jose Berrios but lots of action on him. Sometimes a trade comes out of nowhere & with about 18 hours to go, you never know.   

13 minutes ago, PinstripeGM said:

I thought Boston was the landing spot for Anthony Rizzo. Eric Hosmer has been mentioned but not sure that's a good idea. As for SPs, they're active on Jose Berrios but lots of action on him. Sometimes a trade comes out of nowhere & with about 18 hours to go, you never know.   

Boston won't get under performer Hosmer and his outrageously stupid mega-contract. No way no how.  Even if he was all that, and he isn't, they too are staying under the luxury tax this season.

If they are looking for a 1B my personal choice is Jonathan Schoop.  He has had a really fine year especially given he plays on a lousy team (Tigers) where his bat isn't even protected in that lineup. 

He can also play 2B too of course.  Imagine him playing 2B next to Xander at SS.  The two of them could converse in Dutch and no amount of lip reading will help the other team unless it is the Yankees with Odor watching them.

Also Jesus Aguliar and Carlos Santana are both  available.

As for SP I don't think they will throw in the kitchen sink for Berrios though they will try for him.  But they won't trade away their top prospects.  Texas would be open to moving Kyle Gibson but there hasn't been many rumors about him ... yet.  But he would go cheaper obviously.

But of course the biggest starting pitcher "get" for the Sox will be the return of Chris Sale.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I woke up this morning and thought to myself...."why don't the Yankees trade for Whit Merrifield"? I think he checks all the boxes of Yankee needs and can be had for much less than Story would or Turner would have costed. Stick him at 2nd keep Torres at SS (ugh, I know), trade Urshela and a couple others and move DJL to 3rd base. What do you guys think?

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie
  • Like 1

Had a dream the Yanks moved Stanton at the deadline today.  They didn't get anything back in the deal but just the freedom of dumping that slab of garbage felt so good.  Waking up realizing it was all a dream really did suck the life out of this Friday morning.  Gonna need an extra cup of coffee to get through it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

Had a dream the Yanks moved Stanton at the deadline today.  They didn't get anything back in the deal but just the freedom of dumping that slab of garbage felt so good.  Waking up realizing it was all a dream really did suck the life out of this Friday morning.  Gonna need an extra cup of coffee to get through it!

With that contract, they are stuck with him.  Not going to change.  Add in he is stinking up the joint as a DH only right now.  Another player with imo rocks for brains as he insists on sticking with the ridiculous closed stance.  Nothing but inconsistency has ensued imo as he is one of the streakiest players around going white hot to ice cold for long stretches of time.  Nothing in between.  You would think he would go back to a more standard stance in search of more leveled and consistent results, but no.

1 hour ago, knifeparty said:

At the time of the deal to acquire him I was stoked.  Seeing a player from a distance is entirely different than seeing him up close and playing every game.  Stanton looked amazing on the highlights.  Seeing these insane HR's and what was seemingly a bomb being hit every other night made it look like he was a monster hitter.  All it cost was money and the Yankees have that, so absolutely we'll take him.   Then I started watching him play day in and day out and I realized he's a softball player.  He's more of a gate attraction that he is cornerstone of a WS winning team.  He just swings with all his might and hopes to make contact.  He's so strong that when he does the ball goes a long way, but for we Yankees fans who remember the 90's we know that hitting towering homeruns isn't what makes a championship team.  You need timely hitting, putting the ball in play, and situation power.    In hindsight had I seen Stanton on a daily basis prior to the trade, and known the Yankees would be capping their salary limit, I'd have preferred they pass and use the resources elsewhere.

• Like 1