NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mitchell Robinson 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the plus side - with thibs he might actually get 30+ minutes  On the negative side - he will probably foul out in 15 minutes 

Is this the mitchell robinson thread?

Bruh, I literally went to get a snack and he was gone.

6 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Still playing on instincts. Thibs will know what to do with that. He will somehow make all his rotation players play 38 mpg.

Snagged him in the 4th round of a 20 team startup dynasty league. I’ve never owned him and wanted to get a little more info on him so that’s why I asked yesterday. Thanks for the response, hoping Thibs lets him run.

Draft him with the expectations that his role is the exact same as last year and anything else is a bonus. Don't reach thinking Thibs will play this guy big minutes when Mitch has fouling issues.

It's one thing if the coach won't give you minutes but even if the coach wanted to play him 30 MPG his foul problems would not allow it. Nerlens could be a HUGE roadblock to his production given they are very similar players and Nerlens is probably the smarter of the two defensively. The Knicks don't seem committed to developing Robinson and i'm sure Thibs won't care who gets the minutes as he will be trying to win.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, FantasyBallFan said:

Draft him with the expectations that his role is the exact same as last year and anything else is a bonus. Don't reach thinking Thibs will play this guy big minutes when Mitch has fouling issues.

It's one thing if the coach won't give you minutes but even if the coach wanted to play him 30 MPG his foul problems would not allow it. Nerlens could be a HUGE roadblock to his production given they are very similar players and Nerlens is probably the smarter of the two defensively. The Knicks don't seem committed to developing Robinson and i'm sure Thibs won't care who gets the minutes as he will be trying to win.

Love you spitting str8 fire about Christian Fraud... I mean Wood. You may be right here but look into joakim noah and 1 year of Gorgui Dieng long story short Thibs has no regard for human life when it comes to minutes so I am a little intrigued.

Small possible bargain look at Rubio in 16-17 then Teague in 17-18 if we can guess the right Knicks PG fantasy gold could be our reward.

When asked about his initial impression of Mitchell Robinson, Tom Thibodeau said "he's got a long way to go."

“He’s had some really good moments, but I think he’s got a long way to go,” said Thibs. “The work part, the professionalism to continue to grow to impact winning, there’s a lot of room for growth – I think the discipline to practice well each and every day.” This isn't the first time Robinson's commitment has been questioned, as he reportedly rubbed a lot of the coaches with the 2019 USA Select Team the wrong way by showing up late and leaving early, and attitude issues are why he fell to the second round in the 2018 NBA Draft. He also averaged 7.6 fouls per 100 possessions last season, and if he can't get that under control, it won't matter how many minutes Thibs has planned for him. He'll be battling Nerlens Noel for the starting center spot at camp, but we're not huge fans of him after last year's immensely disappointing season.

Just might be Thibs trying to motivate him, but with this report, I'd rather have Noel than Robinson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best of luck gentlemen.

MITCHELL ROBINSON C, NEW YORK KNICKS

The New York Post is reporting that Mitchell Robinson recently fired super agent Rich Paul, who manages LeBron James and Anthony Davis, and has moved on to his sixth agent despite being in the league for just two seasons thus far.  

There have been reports of Robinson being difficult to communicate with and his family wanting to be heavily involved in the business side of things, which has possibly caused rifts with agents. Paul, while he was still managing Robinson, had some interesting things to say about his development. "At this level, talent will get you only so far. You have to understand schemes defensively, very detailed things like the art of setting screens, the art in decision-making as a big man in how you roll." Robinson has been saying all the right thus far in camp, but there are also reports that the Knicks weren't thrilled that he didn't show up earlier to work with the new staff. But the first official practice is Sunday and all may be forgotten if Robinson comes out and performs well. But if he doesn't, Nerlens Noel just might steal his job.  

SOURCE: New York Post

Dec 5, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
30 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Best of luck gentlemen.

The New York Post is reporting that Mitchell Robinson recently fired super agent Rich Paul, who manages LeBron James and Anthony Davis, and has moved on to his sixth agent despite being in the league for just two seasons thus far.  

There have been reports of Robinson being difficult to communicate with and his family wanting to be heavily involved in the business side of things, which has possibly caused rifts with agents. Paul, while he was still managing Robinson, had some interesting things to say about his development. "At this level, talent will get you only so far. You have to understand schemes defensively, very detailed things like the art of setting screens, the art in decision-making as a big man in how you roll." Robinson has been saying all the right thus far in camp, but there are also reports that the Knicks weren't thrilled that he didn't show up earlier to work with the new staff. But the first official practice is Sunday and all may be forgotten if Robinson comes out and performs well. But if he doesn't, Nerlens Noel just might steal his job.  

giphy.gif

Ahahaha I knew it. I'll be all over Nerlens Noel :D:D:D:D 

In a dynasty league, I am now out. What if they draft a big next year with a work ethic? 

This year I think it will be the same as last. Slightly lower floor because he might not make Tom Thibs' main guys.

Edited by rob0403
6 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Best of luck gentlemen.

Sounds like a scheduled yearlong migraine for whoever gets him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Thibs didn't even mention Mitch Rob when talking about talented young guys.

There was also this which was blurbed a few days ago:

Nerlens Noel said that he and Tom Thibodeau are "like a match made in heaven."

Thibs also brought up Noel, unprompted, when asked about Mitchell Robinson during today's presser, so we wouldn't necessarily lock in Robinson as the starting five-man ahead of training camp with Thibs at the helm. Even if Robinson starts, he tends to get in his own way with foul trouble, so if you do draft Robinson, you might want to take out a Noel insurance policy towards the later rounds on draft day. Also, as Noel showed last season, he only needs about 20 minutes a night to impact fantasy hoops.

TBH, Nerlens going with either picks 12 or 13 could be less of a headache than Mitchell Robinson just coz Nerlens is the vet between the two.

The way I look at it:

Mitch might play for this team and next year because he is under Knicks control.

They could sign or bring back Noel next year too. If it works why break it? A Drummond prototype isn't better defense wise.

It seems like Mitch Rob is going to ask to get paid something he isn't worth end of contract.

The draft board next year doesn't have top bigs. I think NYK will just plug the position with a vet ( Noel)

There are many signs he is a lazy player. And this is with Knicks media on his side right now.

Edited by rob0403

This thread is extra toxic for some reason. I get not everyone is high on Robinson and doesn’t like his game. That’s ok. But there’s more than a couple posters in this thread that almost want to see him fail. Why? If you don’t like him, move on. Besides, we’re not drafting him expecting him to be Hakeem. We’re drafting him for his 2 blocks a game, something only 7 other players did last year. It’s extremely tough to find great shot blockers and he’s one of them. We’re also drafting him for his high FG%, low TOs, and he’ll grab you some boards and throw in a steal. He doesn’t need big minutes to become a big time fantasy player. If Thibs doesn’t like him he doesn’t have to start him but he’ll have to play him. NY has no other choice but to play their young guys. This is probably Thibs’ last chance as an NBA coach, he should feel pressure to do the right thing and let the young guys run in NY. What does playing Noel do for you long term? It’s the same thing as when he played Taj Gibson big minutes. It gets you nowhere in the long run. So Thibs can talk all he wants about he loves Noel and how great of a fit they are but I hate to break it to you, he’s only gonna get so many minutes. NY is gonna run Frank, RJ, Obi, Julius, Mitch, all the young guys. Noel gets them nowhere down the road. Only want to play Mitch 25 minutes? No problem, he’s gonna post top 50 value on 10/8, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 70% FG% and a TO. That’s very valuable and if you draft him right, how do you lose? If Thibs ends up playing him 30 minutes or more, we’re looking at possibly a top 20 player. Bottom line is, draft him where he should be and you’ll be ok. There’s plenty of people who don’t like his game and this negative news presents an opportunity for drafters to get him cheaper. He’ll get at least 25 minutes a game this year, even if Thibs doesn’t like him, and he’ll post top 50 value in 25 minutes. If Thibs ends up liking him or Mitch forces his hand by playing great, the sky really is the limit because this guy is a per-minute monster and 30+ minutes would vault him into a top 20 player. Floor is 10/8, 2 blocks, 1 steal, high FG%, low TO. You tell me how valuable he is to you. I’d love to have him on my team at the right price.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

This thread is extra toxic for some reason. I get not everyone is high on Robinson and doesn’t like his game. That’s ok. But there’s more than a couple posters in this thread that almost want to see him fail. Why? If you don’t like him, move on. Besides, we’re not drafting him expecting him to be Hakeem. We’re drafting him for his 2 blocks a game, something only 7 other players did last year. It’s extremely tough to find great shot blockers and he’s one of them. We’re also drafting him for his high FG%, low TOs, and he’ll grab you some boards and throw in a steal. He doesn’t need big minutes to become a big time fantasy player. If Thibs doesn’t like him he doesn’t have to start him but he’ll have to play him. NY has no other choice but to play their young guys. This is probably Thibs’ last chance as an NBA coach, he should feel pressure to do the right thing and let the young guys run in NY. What does playing Noel do for you long term? It’s the same thing as when he played Taj Gibson big minutes. It gets you nowhere in the long run. So Thibs can talk all he wants about he loves Noel and how great of a fit they are but I hate to break it to you, he’s only gonna get so many minutes. NY is gonna run Frank, RJ, Obi, Julius, Mitch, all the young guys. Noel gets them nowhere down the road. Only want to play Mitch 25 minutes? No problem, he’s gonna post top 50 value on 10/8, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 70% FG% and a TO. That’s very valuable and if you draft him right, how do you lose? If Thibs ends up playing him 30 minutes or more, we’re looking at possibly a top 20 player. Bottom line is, draft him where he should be and you’ll be ok. There’s plenty of people who don’t like his game and this negative news presents an opportunity for drafters to get him cheaper. He’ll get at least 25 minutes a game this year, even if Thibs doesn’t like him, and he’ll post top 50 value in 25 minutes. If Thibs ends up liking him or Mitch forces his hand by playing great, the sky really is the limit because this guy is a per-minute monster and 30+ minutes would vault him into a top 20 player. Floor is 10/8, 2 blocks, 1 steal, high FG%, low TO. You tell me how valuable he is to you. I’d love to have him on my team at the right price.

What does Noel do for you long term? A lot, and can change the direction of the franchise. You act like Noel is some 35 year old veteran and shouldn’t be worthy of any minutes. Noel is 26 years old, MitchRob is 22 years old. Noel is still “technically” a young guy. If Thibs see that Noel can contribute to winning games and plays stellar basketball then that helps the Knicks as they can move on from Mitch Rob and go all in on Noel. Mitch Rob might be better off being a serviceable backup Center in this league and there is nothing wrong with that. But to say Noel doesn’t help the franchise moving forward is laughable, and 26 is not old. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone with a chance of having his starting job yanked from him by the head coach deserves to be picked in my top 5 picks. Thibs has a track record of sticking to his favorites and those are guys who buy into his system. Mitch Rob is a very high gamble which can pay off but I don't think I'm willing to trust myself with any of my top 5 or 6 picks to test that theory.

I also like living headache free.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

What does Noel do for you long term? A lot, and can change the direction of the franchise. You act like Noel is some 35 year old veteran and shouldn’t be worthy of any minutes. Noel is 26 years old, MitchRob is 22 years old. Noel is still “technically” a young guy. If Thibs see that Noel can contribute to winning games and plays stellar basketball then that helps the Knicks as they can move on from Mitch Rob and go all in on Noel. Mitch Rob might be better off being a serviceable backup Center in this league and there is nothing wrong with that. But to say Noel doesn’t help the franchise moving forward is laughable, and 26 is not old. 

You’re not being serious, right? Noel can change the direction of the franchise?? 😂😂😂 Come on man. That is ludicrous and you know that. Noel is a veteran that had bounced around and never stuck anywhere he has went. What’s going to change in NY? He can’t really help a franchise that’s looking for young talent that could turn into stars down the road. We know what he is. He knows what he is. He might start, and that’s fine, but Robinson is the one with a chance to become a legit piece down the road for them, not Noel. As long as Noel gets his 25 minutes a game, which I don’t see anyway he doesn’t, I’m chillin. Anything else is just icing on top.

11 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

In my opinion Noel will take starting job by mid January. At 26 he has a chance to be Knicks starting C for several years

If he’s the Knicks starter for several years then NY is in even worse shape than I thought. That would be awful for them considering a 15 win Philly team from 5 years ago didn’t even want him as their starter. 

12 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

You’re not being serious, right? Noel can change the direction of the franchise?? 😂😂😂 Come on man. That is ludicrous and you know that. Noel is a veteran that had bounced around and never stuck anywhere he has went. What’s going to change in NY? He can’t really help a franchise that’s looking for young talent that could turn into stars down the road. We know what he is. He knows what he is. He might start, and that’s fine, but Robinson is the one with a chance to become a legit piece down the road for them, not Noel. As long as Noel gets his 25 minutes a game, which I don’t see anyway he doesn’t, I’m chillin. Anything else is just icing on top.

And you are saying that a young guy at 22 years old who has been through 6 agents already and multiple and I mean “MULTIPLE” people/insiders have stated that this guy lacks discipline, and is hard to coach can be a “franchise” player? That’s laughable. At least Noel has learned who he was by his play backing up Steven Adams with the Thunder. You really don’t like Noel who gives you high FG% a block and a steal per game while also being slightly better at shooting FT’s  you don’t like, which you are raving about for Mitch Rob? 

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Mitchell Robinson 2020-2021 Outlook