NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mitchell Robinson 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the plus side - with thibs he might actually get 30+ minutes  On the negative side - he will probably foul out in 15 minutes 

Is this the mitchell robinson thread?

Bruh, I literally went to get a snack and he was gone.

1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Is there a more frustrating player in the NBA? 

Just stop fouling dudes and you'll be a fantasy stud!!!

It's not so simple though. Part of the reason he gets so many steals and blocks is because hes actively swiping and trying to make plays. So if you had him stop fouling people, you'd be changing the playstyle that he knows, the very one that's helping him put up those gaudy defensive stats. Of course with playing time, experience, and discipline, he will hopefully become more efficient defensively without fouling. But to ask him to just stop fouling right here and now would be changing who he is. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, cbsholy said:

It's not so simple though. Part of the reason he gets so many steals and blocks is because hes actively swiping and trying to make plays. So if you had him stop fouling people, you'd be changing the playstyle that he knows, the very one that's helping him put up those gaudy defensive stats. Of course with playing time, experience, and discipline, he will hopefully become more efficient defensively without fouling. But to ask him to just stop fouling right here and now would be changing who he is. 

Truth. Getting these stocks doesn't 100% mean you are good at defense. It might mean the opposite. Case in point someone like Drummond is well known to be a bad defender even with all those stocks.

As long as Mitch Rob can stay on the court he will produce. However, poor defense will drive Thibs mad and he is trying out the Toppin Randle pairing already. Have to think Thibs is trying that pairing in case both his centers foul out.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:48 PM, rob0403 said:

Truth. Getting these stocks doesn't 100% mean you are good at defense. It might mean the opposite. Case in point someone like Drummond is well known to be a bad defender even with all those stocks.

As long as Mitch Rob can stay on the court he will produce. However, poor defense will drive Thibs mad and he is trying out the Toppin Randle pairing already. Have to think Thibs is trying that pairing in case both his centers foul out.

lol drummond is well known to be a bad defender? in what world????

i get your point about steals and blocks not being indicative of a good defender, but that wasn’t the best example, as drummond has always been known as a solid to very good defender. 

i do think mitch gets us 12-9-2.5 this year, but i definitely understand noel being a legit concern too 

8 hours ago, BykeINIT said:

i get your point about steals and blocks not being indicative of a good defender, but that wasn’t the best example, as drummond has always been known as a solid to very good defender. 

i do think mitch gets us 12-9-2.5 this year, but i definitely understand noel being a legit concern too 

In what world has Drummond always been known as a solid to very good defender? Maybe if you just look at the box scores and assume he is because he racks up blocks. He’s a trash defender in real life. Can’t guard the pick and roll, incredibly slow, commits dumb fouls all the time. There’s a reason nobody wanted this dude and the Cavs only got a second round pick for him. He’s a liability on defense and has been for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, BykeINIT said:

Gotta look outside the boxscores man to up your fantasy game. For example, for the past couple of years the teams Drummond has been in gives up the most fantasy point to the opposing C position than almost any other team.

Anyways this is the Mitch Rob thread. If he starts having flashes of that solid positional defense than he will be good. This is really unclear however, cause I see him as a similar talent to Jaxon Hayes as a Rim Runner and Protector. However, even Hayes has not broken into the rotation yet so I am not sure if this archetype if centers is valuable to the future NBA.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, QingJames said:

In what world has Drummond always been known as a solid to very good defender? Maybe if you just look at the box scores and assume he is because he racks up blocks. He’s a trash defender in real life. Can’t guard the pick and roll, incredibly slow, commits dumb fouls all the time. There’s a reason nobody wanted this dude and the Cavs only got a second round pick for him. He’s a liability on defense and has been for years.

5 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Gotta look outside the boxscores man to up your fantasy game. For example, for the past couple of years the teams Drummond has been in gives up the most fantasy point to the opposing C position than almost any other team.

Anyways this is the Mitch Rob thread. If he starts having flashes of that solid positional defense than he will be good. This is really unclear however, cause I see him as a similar talent to Jaxon Hayes as a Rim Runner and Protector. However, even Hayes has not broken into the rotation yet so I am not sure if this archetype if centers is valuable to the future NBA.

look.. if u want to claim he’s an overrated defender, cool. but don’t say “he’s well known to be a bad defender”.. that’s just flat out wrong. 

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/platform/amp/2019/10/30/20937736/andre-drummond-is-making-an-early-case-for-defensive-player-of-the-year

https://cavaliersnation.com/2020/07/25/andre-drummond-throws-shade-haters-not-being-considered-defensive-player-year/amp/

https://amp.beaconjournal.com/amp/6471722002

https://hoopshabit.com/2020/01/06/detroit-pistons-trading-andre-drummond-bad-idea/

Then we come to the defensive side of Drummond’s game He has a career defensive rating of 100 points allowed per 100 possessions. This is good for third among active players in the NBA. It is also good for 33rd all-time in the NBA.

Drummond used to be an awful defender but has improved his defense over the years. Is he great? No. But is he awful, no. Somewhere in the middle I’d say but teams don’t want him for other reasons besides that. Can’t shoot from the perimeter, inconsistent motor, looks very disinterested at times, plus his inconsistent defense. He’s a great fantasy player for us, similar to Whiteside, but IRL his breed is being phased out of the game and he will be in Whiteside’s boat this time next year unless he suddenly becomes a great shooter or one of the best defenders in the game this year. Back to Mitch now. Let’s hope he lights it up this year 😃

8 hours ago, BykeINIT said:

look.. if u want to claim he’s an overrated defender, cool. but don’t say “he’s well known to be a bad defender”.. that’s just flat out wrong. 

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/platform/amp/2019/10/30/20937736/andre-drummond-is-making-an-early-case-for-defensive-player-of-the-year

https://cavaliersnation.com/2020/07/25/andre-drummond-throws-shade-haters-not-being-considered-defensive-player-year/amp/

https://amp.beaconjournal.com/amp/6471722002

https://hoopshabit.com/2020/01/06/detroit-pistons-trading-andre-drummond-bad-idea/

Then we come to the defensive side of Drummond’s game He has a career defensive rating of 100 points allowed per 100 possessions. This is good for third among active players in the NBA. It is also good for 33rd all-time in the NBA.

This tells you a lot more about how useless this stat is than how good Drummond is at defense.  

If he is such a great defender then why has he never made an all-defense team? Why was he 47th of 57 centers in defensive rpm in  2017-18 and 37th of 72 last year?

He is absolutely known as a bad defender by people who seriously follow the NBA. Casuals may look at his steals and blocks and think he is “great”, but he’s really not.

1 hour ago, Eltoro said:

This tells you a lot more about how useless this stat is than how good Drummond is at defense.  

If he is such a great defender then why has he never made an all-defense team? Why was he 47th of 57 centers in defensive rpm in  2017-18 and 37th of 72 last year?

He is absolutely known as a bad defender by people who seriously follow the NBA. Casuals may look at his steals and blocks and think he is “great”, but he’s really not.

forget the stat .. i just posted numerous articles fawning over drummond for his defense. additionally, he’s received votes for DPOY multiple times.

you can say “he’s a mediocre defender” or even “i think he’s not as good as most people think”.... but again, to claim that he’s “been known as a bad defender by people who follow the nba” is laughable when speaking on a guy who finished top 10 in DPOY on 3 separate occasions. clearly that shows that people who follow the NBA pegged him as a strong defender. 

7 hours ago, BykeINIT said:

forget the stat .. i just posted numerous articles fawning over drummond for his defense. additionally, he’s received votes for DPOY multiple times.

you can say “he’s a mediocre defender” or even “i think he’s not as good as most people think”.... but again, to claim that he’s “been known as a bad defender by people who follow the nba” is laughable when speaking on a guy who finished top 10 in DPOY on 3 separate occasions. clearly that shows that people who follow the NBA pegged him as a strong defender. 

Articles written by random bloggers are hardly evidence of anything. Anyone can write an article, and the Detroitbadboys blog later even wrote this:

Nice defensive stats do not make for a good or great defensive player. Make no mistake, Andre’s stats are largely pretty darn good. We are all aware. But how about, as I alluded to above, the countless unaccounted for plays where the other team gets a free pass to the hoop with no rim protection or even a possible contest to be seen for miles, or when Andre’s man is scoring bucket after bucket in the paint on him. Where are the stats for those plays? 

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2020/2/8/21126987/detroit-pistons-andre-drummond-is-really-gone-and-feelings-are-mixed

DPOY is voted on by the media, which also includes hacks. He literally got one vote three times (a first place  vote, a second place vote, and a third place vote) out of 124 voters. Probably a hometown journalist as they tend to be homers. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2016.html

Show me an analyst like Zach Lowe saying he’s a good defender and you might be able to appeal to authority. 

Last year defending the pick and roll, Drummond was in the 15th percentile defending the roll man. Of players who defended at least one possession or more, he was dead last.

Maybe dig a little deeper beyond the surface to better understand basketball. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Eltoro said:

Articles written by random bloggers are hardly evidence of anything. Anyone can write an article, and the Detroitbadboys blog later even wrote this:

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2020/2/8/21126987/detroit-pistons-andre-drummond-is-really-gone-and-feelings-are-mixed

DPOY is voted on by the media, which also includes hacks. He literally got one vote three times (a first place  vote, a second place vote, and a third place vote) out of 124 voters. Probably a hometown journalist as they tend to be homers. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2016.html

Show me an analyst like Zach Lowe saying he’s a good defender and you might be able to appeal to authority. 

Last year defending the pick and roll, Drummond was in the 15th percentile defending the roll man. Of players who defended at least one possession or more, he was dead last.

Maybe dig a little deeper beyond the surface to better understand basketball. 

since youre the one claiming “it’s well known he‘s a very bad defender” then youre the one obligated to provide proof for this (if you’re going to continue arguing)..

i already showed you that sports writers have literally written articles propping his defense as well as voters picking him for DPOY .. now it’s your turn to show me that the opposite is “well known”. so far all you’ve stated is all hearsay. prove your point against my evidence that proves the contrary. i’m waiting......

Watch drummond play hes an inconsistent defender. The effort is completely inconsistent. He hardly runs back on fast breaks. I dont know about defensive metrics and analytics, but anyone who watches him knows how inconsistent his effort is on that side of the ball.

Completely capable, but I cant remember a year he was worthy of any defensive accolades. 

Key word : inconsistent 

Edited by indigorivers
1 minute ago, BrowKnees said:

Yeah that 2nd foul didn't look like a foul at all but didn't see a replay

Got him with the body but it was the and 1 before that where Mitch got dominated.  Sabonis banged him down to about 3 feet, spun and made a layup basically as Mitch hacked him.  Mitch needs to find the fire he needs to stay on the floor.  Can't let Sabonis dominate him like that 5 minutes in.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Mitchell Robinson 2020-2021 Outlook