NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jeremi Grant 2020-2021 Outlook

Intriguing option heading into the new season after signing a 3 year 60 Mil deal with the talent devoid Pistons.

Escapes the logjam at Denver and how should see over 30 min a night.

Can we expect closer to his 2018-19 OKC Numbers on 32min a night?

13.6 ppg, 49.7FG%, 5.2 board, 1.0 Assists, 0.8 Steals, 1.2 Blocks

or can he go beyond this and yield top 80 value

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's spelled: ROCK HARD STUD

...mama, there goes that man who’s a STUD

He's not a guy I want being "the man."

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this is not looking good. Highly inefficient, forcing himself into a role that supersedes his skillset. He cannot dribble and is terrible in the post. Needs to restrict himself to off ball cuts and catch and shoots. If he stays on confusing himself for Lebron, our fg% will be in a world of hurt this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Philzilla said:

More opportunity this year to be the man than any other year. He's worked his way to where he is and just got paid big time. I expect his overall numbers to go up across the board but his fg% to go down. Top 50 potential for a later round pick.

He's not a guy I want being "the man."

• Like 3

Picked him in most mocks but soured by draft day.. too many question marks. There's something fishy about this presumptive "Jerami will be a primary ball handler now cuz we sure need one" narrative that hasn't translated to a promising start. You can't just become a useful playmaker overnight unless you're one of those people who turns $$$ into VC for 2k. He'll get the opportunity to shine, but idk if his game is as fantasy-friendly as that ADP demands.

The 18% usg in denver last season was actually a career high, so they weren't burying his talent, just reducing his minutes. Per-36's were a bland 16 / 5 / 1.7 / 1 / 1, and though usage will be up that in no way guarantees stocks or rebounds rise to meaningful levels. You're banking on him pushing 20ppg after averaging a career high 13.6 in 33mpg with okc two years ago, accompanied by a newfound ability to generate assists, all without too steep of a drop in efficiency. That's a lot to ask.

And if the pistons' excess of bigs wasn't annoying enough, Doumbouya looking great in preseason only presents another variable he may have to contend with.

Edited by mattshhh
6 hours ago, mattshhh said:

Picked him in most mocks but soured by draft day.. too many question marks. There's something fishy about this presumptive "Jerami will be a primary ball handler now cuz we sure need one" narrative that hasn't translated to a promising start. You can't just become a useful playmaker overnight unless you're one of those people who turns $$$ into VC for 2k. He'll get the opportunity to shine, but idk if his game is as fantasy-friendly as that ADP demands.

The 18% usg in denver last season was actually a career high, so they weren't burying his talent, just reducing his minutes. Per-36's were a bland 16 / 5 / 1.7 / 1 / 1, and though usage will be up that in no way guarantees stocks or rebounds rise to meaningful levels. You're banking on him pushing 20ppg after averaging a career high 13.6 in 33mpg with okc two years ago, accompanied by a newfound ability to generate assists, all without too steep of a drop in efficiency. That's a lot to ask.

And if the pistons' excess of bigs wasn't annoying enough, Doumbouya looking great in preseason only presents another variable he may have to contend with.

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with him being the primary ball handler either. I just think we're going to get the rich man's version of what he's provided the last few years and that doesn't mean we're drafting him to be a 20 ppg player. Just remember, this is preseason, don't get too wrapped up with what happens as these guys are shaking off the rust. 

6 hours ago, Taipan said:

Dude, Sekou isn’t Weaver’s guy and they just paid Grant.  He’s going to play.  If anything, this is their chance to shop and move Blake and really adopt a youth movement.  

36 minutes ago, Philzilla said:

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with him being the primary ball handler either. I just think we're going to get the rich man's version of what he's provided the last few years and that doesn't mean we're drafting him to be a 20 ppg player. Just remember, this is preseason, don't get too wrapped up with what happens as these guys are shaking off the rust. 

I hear ya both. Like I said it's not that I expect *Detroit to abandon him as a big minutes guy, but it's hard to be confident about his fantasy value transforming into something more well-rounded than it's been over the first several seasons. Definitely worth rostering as a guaranteed starter just maybe 2-3 rounds lower than currently IMO

Edited by mattshhh
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, affliction said:

High on him this year for where he is going in drafts 

What are you thinking #’s wise ?  Or your thoughts in general

At worst we get the Denver version right.

Bruski high on this man - quoted on the HoopBall podcast as saying "there is no way this guy doesn't beat his yahoo ADP/Ranking" which was somewhere in the 90s.

I took him at 87 and I'm optimistic.

Hasn't found his looks yet on offense but hes an elite on and off ball defender who can switch multiple positions so are minutes going to be in doubt? No.

He's ideally an undersized 4 but will play some 3 in Detroit which probably means lower blocks than when he plays the 4 but we are talking about a guy who outside of last year in denver was a 1.8b per 36 guy with 0.9s per 36.

He's also a career FG46% guy.

so lets say that takes a hit on the extra shots he gets in detroit lets say hes a 0.445 guy now on 15-16 shots.

Lets say 33-34 mins:

That looks like:

18.5p 5r 1.8a .8s 1.5b 1.25tos on .445 .750 with a couple of triples.

Thats a great find at around 90.

If Jerami Grant shoots .445 on 15-16 shots I'll eat my hat.

He's not a wing, he's a super athletic stretch 4.  Unfortunately, if he's playing big minutes next to Blake and another big he's going to be getting less bunnies at the rim and fewer wide open threes.  He's worked a ton on his shot throughout the years and he can shoot the three-ball if he's wide open - I just don't see him getting enough of those kind of looks in his current role.  If his role continues as is he may be hard pressed to shoot .410.

The best thing than can happen to Grant is that Blake misses time and he slides to the 4.

28 minutes ago, Sixersfan740 said:

If Jerami Grant shoots .445 on 15-16 shots I'll eat my hat.

He's not a wing, he's a super athletic stretch 4.  Unfortunately, if he's playing big minutes next to Blake and another big he's going to be getting less bunnies at the rim and fewer wide open threes.  He's worked a ton on his shot throughout the years and he can shoot the three-ball if he's wide open - I just don't see him getting enough of those kind of looks in his current role.  If his role continues as is he may be hard pressed to shoot .410.

The best thing than can happen to Grant is that Blake misses time and he slides to the 4.

That would be the lowest he has ever shot from the field. 

They simply won't run him as the no.1 option if he shoots lower than 43/44%

Agree that his fantasy value won't rise to top 60/70 if he's not playing much 4

5 minutes ago, Samaroy said:

That would be the lowest he has ever shot from the field. 

They simply won't run him as the no.1 option if he shoots lower than 43/44%

Agree that his fantasy value won't rise to top 60/70 if he's not playing much 4

I realize that.  But he's also never been in a situation where he was expected to do more than spot up for wide open threes and dunk.

He's doesn't have a natural ability on the offensive end.  He's developed a great ability as a spot up 3pt shooter with a lot of hard work.  He shouldn't have offensive plays run for him that don't end up with a dunk or wide open 3.

• Thanks 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Jeremi Grant 2020-2021 Outlook