NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chuma Okeke 2020-2021 Outlook

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen this guy mentioned yet in the forum. Coming back from an ACL tear and missed his rookie season. Can he play SF? If yes and with Isaac done for the year, he will be an intriguing last pick for deep leagues. Averaged 1-1-1 during his last year in college. He only has to beat James Ennis for minutes. 

Discuss! 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chuma the Puma go booma 💥 Sneaky Okeke no more...  First Moses, now Chuma... i love 🏀 

Me picking up Okeke off the waivers: (At least the minutes are there)

Posted Images

I like his upside. He could play both forward positions due to him actually being able to cover guards quite well, too. Really like his skillset but we'll have to see how he comes back from that injury.

For now its probably Ross and Gordon at the forward positions, and they still have Aminu (coming back from inj), Clark, Ennis and now Bacon (at SF) too.

4 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

I like his upside. He could play both forward positions due to him actually being able to cover guards quite well, too. Really like his skillset but we'll have to see how he comes back from that injury.

For now its probably Ross and Gordon at the forward positions, and they still have Aminu (coming back from inj), Clark, Ennis and now Bacon (at SF) too.

Totally forgot about Aminu to be honest. Not worried about Bacon and Clark. Chuma could be a nice waiver pickup sometime during the year. Wait and see situation but definitely a must put in our watch lists.

Al-Farouq Aminu suffered a setback during his recovery from knee surgery and he's still "a ways away" from getting back to the court.

"He won't be able to do contact in camp," said head coach Steve Clifford. "There's no timetable right now for him but he's still a little bit... he's a ways away." Aminu originally underwent his knee procedure back in January of 2020, so this has been quite a lengthy recovery process for the 30-year-old forward. It doesn't sound like he'll be available for the start of the season, which could lead to big minutes for Aaron Gordon and more opportunity for Dwayne Bacon at the small forward position.

RELATED: 
Dec 1, 2020, 12:27 PM ET

So there's only the scrub Bacon in Chuma's way and the only thing I like about him is his name. Bacon couldn't do anything on a bad CHA team so why do would I think he can do it here? Color me intrigued at Chuma earning minutes this year.

* Sorry I think James Ennis is considered another Vet ahead of him? Anyways all these guys are on 1 year deals.
Edited by rob0403
3 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Al-Farouq Aminu suffered a setback during his recovery from knee surgery and he's still "a ways away" from getting back to the court.

"He won't be able to do contact in camp," said head coach Steve Clifford. "There's no timetable right now for him but he's still a little bit... he's a ways away." Aminu originally underwent his knee procedure back in January of 2020, so this has been quite a lengthy recovery process for the 30-year-old forward. It doesn't sound like he'll be available for the start of the season, which could lead to big minutes for Aaron Gordon and more opportunity for Dwayne Bacon at the small forward position.

RELATED: 
Dec 1, 2020, 12:27 PM ET

So there's only the scrub Bacon in Chuma's way and the only thing I like about him is his name. Bacon couldn't do anything on a bad CHA team so why do would I think he can do it here? Color me intrigued at Chuma earning minutes this year.

* Sorry I think James Ennis is considered another Vet ahead of him? Anyways all these guys are on 1 year deals.

I think Ross starts ahead of him at SF, and Ennis/Bacon are ahead on depth chart at SF and Gordon will be ahead at PF. But minutes will be there.

Edited by perkinsfor3
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Chuma Okeke 2020-2021 Outlook
  • 1 month later...

Player Comparison: Robert Covington (6-9, 7-2, 225lbs) with ball skills

Robert Covington has really come on strong in recent years as one of the league’s most valuable defenders due to his versatility as a strong multi-positional defender with a legitimate nose for the ball, as well as a (somewhat) reliable outside jumper on offense. Really, he’s a consummate 3&D wing. Auburn’s Chuma Okeke, while not as strong as Covington, offers a similar physical makeup and defensive reputation as a ball hawk — Covington sported a career 3.0 STL% and 4.8 BLK% in college, while Okeke posted a similar 2.8 STL% and 4.9 BLK%, showing a similar ability to create events on the defensive end. Okeke is a superior offensive player, however, due to his fluid movement and skill as a passer and ball-mover. Covington is more raw strength than fluidity, such as Okeke, but they’re similar players nonetheless, which bodes well for Okeke’s transition to the NBA.

:ph34r:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/06/02/nba-draft-2019-player-comparisons-projected-first-round-picks/2/

Edited by DezedandConfused

Here's my quick hits for Chuma:

1) Volume pretty good 3 shooter in college

2) Like above said, high steal rate

3) Main issue to stay on court is being quick enough to stay on his man

4) Very worried about his rebounding in terms of fantasy. Also worried about his aggressiveness.

5) Probably won't work out but they are trying to see what he can do with the ball in terms of playmaking. Didn't do much positive with it in the first game back.

I think it's still way too early (6 games) to assess his aggressiveness, rebounding, playmaking, etc. Besides the stupid fouls, in his first game back, he took smart shots and didn't force anything, created space through the dribble for an open jumper, made two passes to Bacon for a three (2x), and made a pretty good  entry bounce pass to Vooch for an easy layup. 

Kinda reminds me of Tobias Harris

Edited by DezedandConfused

Really strong play out of this guy. Vuc even instructed a teammate to pass it to Okeke to initiate the offense. I want to see what he looks like when this teams healthy but he's definitely on my radar. 

That Pickpocket on Steph was a vet move 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, indigorivers said:

Really strong play out of this guy. Vuc even instructed a teammate to pass it to Okeke to initiate the offense. I want to see what he looks like when this teams healthy but he's definitely on my radar. 

That Pickpocket on Steph was a vet move 

Yeah he's starting to exert himself much more than before. He can be a good + player in the lineup.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2021 at 12:59 PM, DezedandConfused said:

Player Comparison: Robert Covington (6-9, 7-2, 225lbs) with ball skills

Robert Covington has really come on strong in recent years as one of the league’s most valuable defenders due to his versatility as a strong multi-positional defender with a legitimate nose for the ball, as well as a (somewhat) reliable outside jumper on offense. Really, he’s a consummate 3&D wing. Auburn’s Chuma Okeke, while not as strong as Covington, offers a similar physical makeup and defensive reputation as a ball hawk — Covington sported a career 3.0 STL% and 4.8 BLK% in college, while Okeke posted a similar 2.8 STL% and 4.9 BLK%, showing a similar ability to create events on the defensive end. Okeke is a superior offensive player, however, due to his fluid movement and skill as a passer and ball-mover. Covington is more raw strength than fluidity, such as Okeke, but they’re similar players nonetheless, which bodes well for Okeke’s transition to the NBA.

:ph34r:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/06/02/nba-draft-2019-player-comparisons-projected-first-round-picks/2/

This is actually very accurate so far, except I don't know if it's me but his lateral speed is pretty average. His fundamentals are sound though.