NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chuma Okeke 2020-2021 Outlook

13 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Yeah he was in his last season in CHA, but only played sparingly. Surprisingly Mo is shooting 32% from 3 in his career which isn't too bad for a big. He's still only 22, potential is there, but the kid just hasn't been able to stay healthy so far in his career. The next test for Okeke is when TRoss returns and possibly Otto Porter (no buyout for now). 

It's not bad but it's not great. I suppose that's supposed to be the game he's working on all these years. His game is just full of holes like that, not great 3, can't FT, forgets box out, bad fouls ... Basically that's what you expect in a rookie.

I think Chuma will end up with around 12 ish points 1.1 stls and 0.6 blks or something. Decent assists and Rebs. I am worried because he is too willing to be a team player.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chuma the Puma go booma 💥 Sneaky Okeke no more...  First Moses, now Chuma... i love 🏀 

Me picking up Okeke off the waivers: (At least the minutes are there)

Posted Images

3 hours ago, rob0403 said:

It's not bad but it's not great. I suppose that's supposed to be the game he's working on all these years. His game is just full of holes like that, not great 3, can't FT, forgets box out, bad fouls ... Basically that's what you expect in a rookie.

I think Chuma will end up with around 12 ish points 1.1 stls and 0.6 blks or something. Decent assists and Rebs. I am worried because he is too willing to be a team player.

Yeah his shot attempts may be lower, but the saving point is that over 60% of his shot selection has been from 3 and yeah he'll provide across the board stats. 

does this guy block shots? deciding between him and birch with a preference for the best steals/blocks option. i know WCJ back but hes no vuc - you'd think birch should carve out a bigger backup role at the very least to be valuable, or roll with okeke who is locked in as starting pf and will get the mins

5 hours ago, beejay6020 said:

does this guy block shots? deciding between him and birch with a preference for the best steals/blocks option. i know WCJ back but hes no vuc - you'd think birch should carve out a bigger backup role at the very least to be valuable, or roll with okeke who is locked in as starting pf and will get the mins

Okeke averaged 1.8 steals and 1.2 blocks in 29 min in his last season in college. He looks locked in as the starter and 30+ minutes a night. Maybe if Birch was the starter then he might be more valuable for blocks. Just given the minutes Okeke will get plus his upside in points and especially threes and steals in addition to blocks I think the decision is easy between the two.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Gamecubesupreme said:

I'm surprised he is not a bad 3-point shooter.

I don't know if I remember right, but he has been ok before the trade deadline. Not great, but seemed really hesitant.

I am starting to see he might be too willing to defer playmaking to other teammates when half the time he doesn't realize he is the best option they have.

4 hours ago, KingDURANTULA said:

Woulda had more buckets tonight if it weren't for bacon ball hoggin

I watched some of the actual game, Bacon is so hard to watch. He doesn't even fake a pass or a direction, which is fine... But not everytime. Everyone on the court knows he is gonna drive and take a bad shot. You can see on the bacon highlights how contested the shots are. (I am not gonna bother watching that again) 🤮

• Haha 1

Yeah Bacon is terrible. I always wondered why Josh Lloyd disliked him so much lol but I watched some of the game last night and now I see. Just no bbiq or any kind of skill whatsoever. 

Chuma does look good though. I think he'll continue to get a lot of usage as he's pretty talented and I feel like the Magic see him as  a building block for the future. I'm holding firm in my 12t for the time being and thinking about grabbing in a 10t as well 

1 hour ago, fabrar said:

Chuma does look good though. I think he'll continue to get a lot of usage as he's pretty talented and I feel like the Magic see him as  a building block for the future. I'm holding firm in my 12t for the time being and thinking about grabbing in a 10t as well 

Dude just passes the eye test. I agree, I don't see his usage changing with that roster even with WCJ healthy. He really fills the AG role well. I mean just look at these highlights...

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RocketIndian49 said:

Dude just passes the eye test. I agree, I don't see his usage changing with that roster even with WCJ healthy. He really fills the AG role well. I mean just look at these highlights...

Thanks for the highlights. I liked his aggressiveness on the low post, however some perimeter shots were forced and fortunate they went in. Has a lot of potential. Would be interesting to see highlights of a player's poor games lol.

19 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Someone said he's a baby Tobias Harris 2.0 and I couldnt agree more. 

Yeah he seems to have the skills. The best thing is, Tobias was ripped for being a mediocre defender on the Magic. Okeke seems already better than average. That means no matter what the coach wants to keep him on the floor.

That's probably why he played so much and didn't produced stats earlier on. He was on for defense but no usage.

• Thanks 1

Is anyone actually watching this kid play, or just satisfied looking at the box scores like I am? Cause if you’re watching, how decent is this kid? Is Top-75 achievable ROS for 9-cat?

Also, just looking at the game log, and Orlando just seems to be going on a torrid stretch of opponents - Suns, Blazers, Lakers, Clips (all four he’s done well against), and next up are Pelicans, Jazz and Nuggets. No correlation to his performance though cause some of those teams suck at defense.

• Like 2