NBC Sports Edge Forums

NBA 2020-2021 COVID-19 Concerns

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy basketball.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

No bubble format for this upcoming season and teams are playing in their home arenas. This will lead to increased exposure with the absence of a bubble. 

The NFL already postponed a Thanksgiving game between Pittsburgh and Baltimore, the latter of which had an outbreak. College football is experiencing this too. 

The Warriors already had 2 players test positive. I am surprised that there is no thread for this yet. 

For fantasy purposes, how will this play out? If a players test positive, that's 14 days automatic quarantine which is an easy 8 games missed. More importantly, I fear for the players' health and well being. 

I hope that the NBA finishes the season and all will be healthy. 

Discuss. 

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I should of known that this season was going to be a bust when Harden said “F it” I’m going to the strip club with no mask right before the season started. 

The bubble won’t happen, this is all on the players. Think about this , you have 30 teams, players coaches staff trainers, those are the close contacts, then you have the family. Family is a high risk

Posted Images

another one: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30430912/nba-2020-21-season-explainer-schedule-covid-19-protocols-playoff-format-big-questions

"Basically, fans can expect that if a player tests positive, he will be unable to play for at least two weeks -- and if he shows any symptoms, that time frame could very easily grow longer."

In other words, you can expect the unexpected. It's going to be a very interesting season, for better or worse

• Like 1

Just look at fantasy football. Participants missed out on Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson for week/s. The Broncos didn’t have an eligible QB last week. So if it becomes serious in the NBA expect G-league call ups and some bench players possibly getting 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, RedRaider27 said:

I thought the same thing with baseball and football. While it wasn’t perfect and there have been scares, if people follow the rules, it will be ok.

I don't play fantasy baseball and football, how is it in general so far? From the looks of it, the pandemic has not been disruptive I presume?

1 hour ago, SicarioSanity said:

I don't play fantasy baseball and football, how is it in general so far? From the looks of it, the pandemic has not been disruptive I presume?

What do you mean? The Steelers and Ravens just had a Wednesday afternoon game at 4pm Eastern time; because Ravens players kept testing positive from Sunday -Thursday and the NFL kept pushing back the game from Thanksgiving night to Wednesday the following week, missing Lamar Jackson (Franchise QB) and other players. The Denver Broncos lost all of their QB’s on Sunday due to “CoVId/High Risk” and had to start a practice squad Wide receiver to start at QB for which he went 1 for 11 and they lost to the Saints.

2 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

A poster below addressed it before I did but what he said is accurate. Also, games have been postponed and moved to later dates, players have missed chunks of time. It’s not perfect and it will be the same thing in the NBA, but overall, I think the season will still go on and won’t be canceled like I thought the MLB or NFL seasons would be at some point. I originally thought only a bubble like the NBA did would be the only way it would work but I was wrong.

[ Posts removed.  This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy basketball.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action. ]

• 3 weeks later...

Good please to track consolidated COVID news and to discuss impacts rather than clutter the player threads.

I'd imagine there is at least a reasonable chance tonight's HOU-OKC game is postponed. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, mattshhh said:

My league changed its rules to allow 2 IR spots instead of 1 this year as a covid precaution, but trying to predict how things will unfold is like trying to throw out donny's ashes

hSzZ0KB.gif

Same. I'm not really sure how to best utilize the IR tho.  I have JJJ on it already.  Anybody else out there worth stashing?

1 minute ago, laurilegend said:

Same. I'm not really sure how to best utilize the IR tho.  I have JJJ on it already.  Anybody else out there worth stashing?

I'm in a shallow league yet the best available IR-eligibles are Lamb, ZCollins and Kris Dunn none of whom i'd stash. Maybe Okongwu has the most potential depending on what happens to Capela & his achilles

• Thanks 1
Just now, mattshhh said:

I'm in a shallow league yet the best available IR-eligibles are Lamb, ZCollins and Kris Dunn none of whom i'd stash. Maybe Okongwu has the most potential depending on what happens to Capela & his achilles

Yea I'm in a 14 teamer.  There's nobody out there other than maybe Okongwu and I just grabbed him on your advice.  Thanks.  Deep deep sleeper that will probably do nothing but with an empty IR slot no worries.

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to NBA 2020-2021 COVID-19 Concerns