Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

NBA 2020-2021 COVID-19 Concerns


Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy basketball.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, lacit1707 said:

what rules are being broken though? in the nba....

he fined Kyrie $50k which apparently is the max he is able to fine a player

If same teams are having outbreaks clearly they are not following the guidelines. Wizards and Grizzlies have caused big headaches

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I should of known that this season was going to be a bust when Harden said “F it” I’m going to the strip club with no mask right before the season started. 

The bubble won’t happen, this is all on the players. Think about this , you have 30 teams, players coaches staff trainers, those are the close contacts, then you have the family. Family is a high risk

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Bettman from the NHL has already fined a team 100k for not following rules in place meanwhile not a peep from Silver 

My unpopular opinion is Stern was a better commish. He actually held the players and teams accountable and even from an expanding the NBA standpoint Silver has been lacking with how hard it is to actually watch games with blackouts and how flat out terrible league pass is. Most of these issues of course existed with Stern but the NBA has done zero to evolve to current times in that regard.

It's just laughable. People hate Goodell like no other but he actually slammed down on teams. The dude threw around $250,000-$500,000 fines to teams nearly every week and even coaches were getting fined 6 figures for not wearing masks. Silver is twiddling his thumbs not to hurt anyones feelings. Grizzlies and Wizards should both have been likely fined.

Also for comparison, the NFL fined coaches 100k for not wearing a mask. Carroll was fined 100k for example with a salary of 8M. Harden was out partying and turning up while skipping team events and he was fined half of that. He makes 40M a year. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

My unpopular opinion is Stern was a better commish. He actually held the players and teams accountable and even from an expanding the NBA standpoint Silver has been lacking with how hard it is to actually watch games with blackouts and how flat out terrible league pass is. Most of these issues of course existed with Stern but the NBA has done zero to evolve to current times in that regard.

It's just laughable. People hate Goodell like no other but he actually slammed down on teams. The dude threw around $250,000-$500,000 fines to teams nearly every week and even coaches were getting fined 6 figures for not wearing masks. Silver is twiddling his thumbs not to hurt anyones feelings. Grizzlies and Wizards should both have been likely fined.

Also for comparison, the NFL fined coaches 100k for not wearing a mask. Carroll was fined 100k for example with a salary of 8M. Harden was out partying and turning up while skipping team events and he was fined half of that. He makes 40M a year. 

Same with Kyrie the fine was light lol. Silver has zero control the players do whatever they please without consequence. Look at what the Clippers owner did to get Kawhi its beyond comical 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Same with Kyrie the fine was light lol. Silver has zero control the players do whatever they please without consequence. Look at what the Clippers owner did to get Kawhi its beyond comical 

Yeah Kyrie got fined 50K. That's equivalent to a person making 100K a year getting fined like $150.

All the dude did was leave his team without telling one, ghost the entire league, get caught partying without a mask during COVID, and who knows whatever else.

I would honestly have a fine of 2% of yearly salary (no idea why fines are not salary based) + 5 game suspension without pay along with having to go through quarantine period again. 

See if players act out then... For Kyrie that would be 700k on the fine alone along with like 8 game checks.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.  You have Harden going out to strip clubs, Kyrie going to birthday parties, Wall/DMC going to get haircuts ...

If I were making millions, I'd probably be okay with a tiny fine like that.  In context, Kyrie's making $34 mil per year.  A $50K fine is 0.1% of his yearly income, the same as someone who makes $100K a year getting a $150 fine.  If that fine still seems appropriate, consider that these guys are supposed to be in severely restricted access because their jobs require them to be in constant contact with other people (not to mention them supposedly expected to be positive role models for people, especially during this time), so their punishments for breaking rules SHOULD be far worse.

I'd agree they should be suspended and their fines should be relative to their salary, and that every additional infraction should be more severe.  I think Silver's afraid to do it because it negatively affects the NBA as well to not have star players play.  Then again, we're also seeing the consequences of him coddling delinquent players now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite literally having a practice squad seems to be the best way to cope with this.  While this week has only comparatively been less than a tire fire than last week, at least having Milton and Vanderbilt to plug in helped maximize my games on a usual high volume night.  

Edited by Crazycanto
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

He changes tunes daily but he said vaccine won't be the end to this and you can get the virus again. I don't know man but clearly the testing is deeply flawed

Please stop this misinformation.

The beginning of vaccine administration isn't the end of COVID, but once a sufficient percentage of the population have gotten it (or the virus itself), herd immunity begins to kick in. That will be the true "end" to the virus.

And re-infections are EXTREMELY rare and not something that should be considered common in any way.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, markdash said:

Please stop this misinformation.

The beginning of vaccine administration isn't the end of COVID, but once a sufficient percentage of the population have gotten it (or the virus itself), herd immunity begins to kick in. That will be the true "end" to the virus.

And re-infections are EXTREMELY rare and not something that should be considered common in any way.

 

What misinformation lol I'm repeating what's been said. Post your MD credentials to back up your words pal 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hardyharhar said:

Will probably take a week for them to clear right?

we’ll see but probably if both are negative, nothing so far except they are ruled out for tommorow cause of the protocol

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont understand how single players of teams are in protocol. Just because the rest tests negative doesnt mean that they are not positive. For contract tracing the whole team needs to quarantine, otherwise they might contract rhe virus further

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HerrMcKenzie said:

I dont understand how single players of teams are in protocol. Just because the rest tests negative doesnt mean that they are not positive. For contract tracing the whole team needs to quarantine, otherwise they might contract rhe virus further

It's probably contact tracing. NBA players have to test almost every day and they have to provide a list of people who come in close contact with them e.g. family members, staff, etc. So let's say Kawhi and PG share a barber, and the barber gets covid, then they will have to go through the protocol even if they don't have covid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m tempted to stream a clipper, but Covid has burned me so much already haha. The game getting postponed is a scary possibility. Didn’t Marcus Morris sit out from an illness. Patient zero right there. I might have to err on the side of caution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

I’m tempted to stream a clipper, but Covid has burned me so much already haha. The game getting postponed is a scary possibility. Didn’t Marcus Morris sit out from an illness. Patient zero right there. I might have to err on the side of caution.

Latest news is that Morris is good for tomorrow

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mcflywalker said:

That’s good to hear, but the guys still have to pass 2 tests before the game, no? Hope all is clear though.

Agreed ...I'm kinda on the fence on what to do. Don't want to burn roster moves if the game gets postponed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...