NBC Sports Edge Forums

NBA 2020-2021 COVID-19 Concerns

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy basketball.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

5 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

It's probably because Wall and Cousins are just being quarantined from contact tracing while not testing positive for it. 

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/206157-fantasy-basketball/suggestions/42133960-covid-il

Found this thread yesterday that was made in early December, not sure how long it has been under review though. Vote/Comment on the thread to bump it up. 

Voted and commented. Yahoo is ridiculous

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I should of known that this season was going to be a bust when Harden said “F it” I’m going to the strip club with no mask right before the season started. 

The bubble won’t happen, this is all on the players. Think about this , you have 30 teams, players coaches staff trainers, those are the close contacts, then you have the family. Family is a high risk

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

It's probably because Wall and Cousins are just being quarantined from contact tracing while not testing positive for it. 

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/206157-fantasy-basketball/suggestions/42133960-covid-il

Found this thread yesterday that was made in early December, not sure how long it has been under review though. Vote/Comment on the thread to bump it up. 

Already voted on this yesterday. 

But generally speaking: In football yahoo already did the right thing. I thought for basketball they even evolve the idea by giving special covid IR spots. But instead they now caught with pants down and did nothing? If yahoos only explanation is to blame it on the teams injury reports - that's just stupid and maybe even lazy. 

Edited by dorwell
  • Like 2
Just now, dorwell said:

Already voted on this yesterday. 

But generally speaking: In football yahoo already did the right thing. I thought for basketball they even evolve the idea by giving special covid IR spots. But instead they now caught with pants down and did nothing? If yahoos only explanation is to blame it on the teams injury reports - that's just stupid and maybe even lazy. 

Well I'm not part of yahoo lol, what else can we do but wait and bump that thread for faster review

19 minutes ago, dorwell said:

Wow, they really want to work like that over the season. 

Yeah one of the reasons I'm playing more daily fantasy this season than season long leagues. Yahoo should make it where league commissioners have the power to manually adjust depending on the consensus of the league whether or not to allow the extra IR spot for this situation (isolating out of precaution). FWIW it's been like this for fantasy sites, they pick and choose the priority in which players get the designation. For example, look at Clint Capela who's currently listed as day-to-day already got the IR designation before the 7 days.

15 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Yeah one of the reasons I'm playing more daily fantasy this season than season long leagues. Yahoo should make it where league commissioners have the power to manually adjust depending on the consensus of the league whether or not to allow the extra IR spot for this situation (isolating out of precaution). FWIW it's been like this for fantasy sites, they pick and choose the priority in which players get the designation. For example, look at Clint Capela who's currently listed as day-to-day already got the IR designation before the 7 days.

That’s why I like sites where you can set your own injury designations. In our league we don’t use “Out”, “Questionable” or “INJ” etc.  we just set our setting to only “INJ”. So basically you can IR any player that has a red flag whether injured or Covid. We’ve been doing this for years now and it works great and don’t have to constantly wait for crazy inconsistent designations. 

• Like 1

I don't understand what is wrong with yahoo. almost every league would want covid protocols to be IR eligible. how can they not know this or at least listen? the reasoning doesn't make sense and if for some strange reason they want a policy that makes the community unhappy why not provide some kind of option? it's baffling.

Now they give MPJ an INJ tag after missing literally one game, but they never gave Wall or Cousins anything. Markkannen and the other bulls players have already missed two games and still no INJ tag. Pretty ridiculous behavior from Yahoo when people have plenty of money riding on these decisions, they need to get it together asap

I have both MPJ and Wall. From what I remember, Wall had a return date even after the quarantine. The first game was postponed which doesn’t count toward the three. So on paper, it’s 2 games unplayed, which I had assumed at that point would not warrant the INJ designation anyway.

In MPJ’s case, his info came from the reports he would miss multiple games—no indication of how many unlike the case of Wall and Cousins. Preemptively, yahoo had to put the INJ as he will miss multiple games without indication of how many. In lauri’s case, from what I’ve seen, he’s on protocol but I haven’t read the reports it will be multi-game absence; it’s more up in the air.

I hate yahoo INJ designations as much as the next guy, but they are pretty predictable once you see the reports on roto, which usually follow after fantasylabs breaks news.

so yahoo is guessing on how many games are going to be missed based on the wording in the reporting?

and if they guess 3 or more games they will give the inj tag right away. but if they guess less than 3 games, but still with the possibly of 3 or more games, they won’t.

we should be able to test this theory many times this season. if true, i would like to know more about the guessing process and why they don’t clearly state and define this method so that we know what to expect ourselves.

1 minute ago, yojimbo said:

so yahoo is guessing on how many games are going to be missed based on the wording in the reporting?

and if they guess 3 or more games they will give the inj tag right away. but if they guess less than 3 games, but still with the possibly of 3 or more games, they won’t.

we should be able to test this theory many times this season. if true, i would like to know more about the guessing process and why they don’t clearly state and define this method so that we know what to expect ourselves.

they don’t make the reports. Their reports are siphoned from rotoworld, which are accumulated from other sources from team reports, press, and team reporters. When those reports verbally state multiple games, yahoo puts the INJ designation.

this 3 game rule isn’t new although they’ve been ironing it out on the NBA side.

On 1/2/2021 at 8:21 PM, mcflywalker said:

this 3 game rule isn’t new although they’ve been ironing it out on the NBA side.

On 1/2/2021 at 8:16 PM, yojimbo said:

On 1/2/2021 at 7:50 PM, mcflywalker said:

I have both MPJ and Wall. From what I remember, Wall had a return date even after the quarantine. The first game was postponed which doesn’t count toward the three. So on paper, it’s 2 games unplayed, which I had assumed at that point would not warrant the INJ designation anyway.

But again, this is from yahoo concerning INJ designations:

These statuses are determined by our data provider. and are defined as:

O - Projected to miss less than 7 days.

INJ - Projected to miss 7+ days due to injury.

Plus this one her:

6XWJ4UR.png

On 12/27/2020 at 10:12 PM, Pirate said:

Idiots. CDC guidelines are for 7days quarantine after negative after contact trace. They should update INJ to

6 days.

So this is the true. They get an INJ tag once they are out more then 7 days. Because the Covid protocoll is 7 days the don't get one but they are right on the edge of it.

But on the other hand now KD has an INJ designation for being out 7 days due to close contact (as far as I understand it). Can somebody tell me what yahoo is doing here? Have they changed the method now or is it just a random decision?

@dorwell

yes, that is what I said. The 3-game rule is encompassed in that same 7-day guideline you quoted.

I think the angst against Yahoo’s designations comes from people on here selfishly wanting their player rushed into INJ so they can make moves. I get it—I’ve been part of that camp.

But it’s pretty straight-forward. They get their data from rotoworld, who get their data, from what I’ve seen, via team reports, team beat reporters, Twitter sources.

Why would you think KD wouldn’t get the designation immediately? The initial sources from the news cited a 7-day quarantine—that’s 4 games missed (reported on January 4, games on Jan 5, 7, 8, 10).

similarly, Michael Porter Jr. got his INJ fairly quickly as his news came out on the 1st. The 7-day quarantine would encompass 4 games (Jan 1, 3, 5, 7).

I do think yahoo is still ironing out their covid guidelines, as I said above, but if a player has 3 games within that week, it would be safe to assume they will get it.

57 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

@dorwell

yes, that is what I said. The 3-game rule is encompassed in that same 7-day guideline you quoted.

I think the angst against Yahoo’s designations comes from people on here selfishly wanting their player rushed into INJ so they can make moves. I get it—I’ve been part of that camp.

But it’s pretty straight-forward. They get their data from rotoworld, who get their data, from what I’ve seen, via team reports, team beat reporters, Twitter sources.

Why would you think KD wouldn’t get the designation immediately? The initial sources from the news cited a 7-day quarantine—that’s 4 games missed (reported on January 4, games on Jan 5, 7, 8, 10).

similarly, Michael Porter Jr. got his INJ fairly quickly as his news came out on the 1st. The 7-day quarantine would encompass 4 games (Jan 1, 3, 5, 7).

I do think yahoo is still ironing out their covid guidelines, as I said above, but if a player has 3 games within that week, it would be safe to assume they will get it.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. 

Yahoo states clearly that there is only a decision if INJ or not based on days missing. 7 days + and you get the tag. There is no mention about games missed, it's only about days. 

Question still stands why it's handled differently between Wall and KD? Maybe they changed the way to handle this. That's my question. I don't care about KD and I don't play against the manager from him so no Angst involved here. 

1 hour ago, dorwell said:

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. 

Yahoo states clearly that there is only a decision if INJ or not based on days missing. 7 days + and you get the tag. There is no mention about games missed, it's only about days. 

Question still stands why it's handled differently between Wall and KD? Maybe they changed the way to handle this. That's my question. I don't care about KD and I don't play against the manager from him so no Angst involved here. 

Their designation isn’t in-house but determined by their data provider. I’ve seen their yahoo uservoice pages have some help in position eligibility and sometimes INJ issues, but mainly automated from the data incoming—that’s what I’ve seen for the bulk of years I’ve played fantasy.

I can’t bring up the original verbiage that identified the 3-game rule, perhaps it wasn’t even yahoo that stated it, but rotoworld mentioning it someplace, but for years now it’s been the most predictable guide to INJ outside of a player’s injury being verbalized.

Guys like Alec Burks got the INJ in 3 games, I believe Danilo when he was ruled out for #3 and updated with an evaluation date, I expect Haliburton if he misses his next game will get the INJ as well.

I have Wall, and I was frustrated by the covid issue, but my only explanation on that front is that he/cousins weren’t “out” for 3 games—the first was postponed. Had the quarantine protocol been extended to the 31st game or the original game wasn’t postponed, I believe he and cousins would have been placed in INJ.

4 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

I have Wall, and I was frustrated by the covid issue, but my only explanation on that front is that he/cousins weren’t “out” for 3 games—the first was postponed. Had the quarantine protocol been extended to the 31st game or the original game wasn’t postponed, I believe he and cousins would have been placed in INJ.

Wall and Cousins would've just been labeled OUT because they did not test positive. They were just isolating out of precaution from contact tracing, so no injury tag. Like you said the first game probably didn't count because it was postponed. So both Wall and Cousins missed only 3 days (12/26-12/28) Per Yahoo, only players that test positive or are out for 7+ days will be considered for the injury tag. Honestly, these sites need to allow custom league settings for injury/position designation. I think only Fantrax allows custom settings. 

4 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Wall and Cousins would've just been labeled OUT because they did not test positive. They were just isolating out of precaution from contact tracing, so no injury. 

But KD isn't tested positive either. And the minimum quarantine days are the same for everybody - it's 7 days. 

Again, this is the official statement from the yahoo website concerning injured regulation. There is no word from a 3 game rule nor even any game connection. Please see also the Twitter Screenshot above. They echoe this again. I never seen any evidence to this 3 game rule ever

4 hours ago, mcflywalker said:

can’t bring up the original verbiage that identified the 3-game rule, perhaps it wasn’t even yahoo that stated it

10 hours ago, dorwell said:

These statuses are determined by our data provider. and are defined as:

O - Projected to miss less than 7 days.

INJ - Projected to miss 7+ days due to injury.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to fight anybody here in the forum. I just want a reliable procedure how this covid thing is handled by yahoo.