NBC Sports Edge Forums

NBA 2020-2021 COVID-19 Concerns

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy basketball.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

19 minutes ago, dorwell said:

But KD isn't tested positive either. And the minimum quarantine days are the same for everybody - it's 7 days. 

Again, this is the official statement from the yahoo website concerning injured regulation. There is no word from a 3 game rule nor even any game connection. Please see also the Twitter Screenshot above. They echoe this again. I never seen any evidence to this 3 game rule ever

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to fight anybody here in the forum. I just want a reliable procedure how this covid thing is handled by yahoo. 

That's the issue lol, even yahoo doesn't follow their guidelines 100% of the time. Also, they give priority to more prominent players e.g KD. All we can do is post/comment here: https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/206157-fantasy-basketball/filters/new?category_id=65830 or tweet them directly for a specific answer. Most people on this forum have done all this for the aforementioned players and that was the answer they got. Also, I never mentioned a 3 game rule, I just said Wall and Cousins missed 3 days total worth of games because the first game was postponed for everyone, so it did not count. 

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I should of known that this season was going to be a bust when Harden said “F it” I’m going to the strip club with no mask right before the season started. 

The bubble won’t happen, this is all on the players. Think about this , you have 30 teams, players coaches staff trainers, those are the close contacts, then you have the family. Family is a high risk

Posted Images

The typical injury reports will either state the injury severity, vague injury status, or reevaluation date—new to this is the covid medical protocol.

Clear, concise news of a severe malady will get the INJ almost instantly.

Vague injury statuses will first get GTD or O designation. This will yo-yo back and forth between GTD and O until either the player returns or reaches three missed games, in which case INJ is given.

For reevaluation dates, the reports usually say 1 week, 2+ weeks etc and get the INJ tags shortly after the O tag is placed.

Now that yahoo is working the kinks out on the Covid basketball side, I expect we’ll see INJ designations fairly quickly on those players who are put on the protocol.

It has played out better in my leagues for other sports, but the basketball angle is one they seem to ease into and play by ear. As the season progresses and more players inevitably fall into the protocol or are exposed to family/team members with covid, the INJ will likely be dolled out liberally.

14 hours ago, mcflywalker said:

Vague injury statuses will first get GTD or O designation. This will yo-yo back and forth between GTD and O until either the player returns or reaches three missed games, in which case INJ is given.

Again, no 3 game rule in place for yahoo. Mostly this correspond to be 7+ days out but there is no mention of 3 games out for an INJ tag.

14 hours ago, mcflywalker said:

It has played out better in my leagues for other sports, but the basketball angle is one they seem to ease into and play by ear. As the season progresses and more players inevitably fall into the protocol or are exposed to family/team members with covid, the INJ will likely be dolled out liberally.

That's what I hope. But I can't wrap my head around that yahoo was already doing the right thing for a couple of months in fantasy football. But the NBA season starts and they have to ease into that.

@dorwell 

yes, I am aware yahoo doesn’t transcribe the 3-day rule in its literature. What I’m pointing out is what many of us fantasy players have experienced in our years of participation, so much so that it’s perhaps become an unwritten rule.

Your best bet is to use something like fantasylabs on Twitter, which I have found to deliver news the quickest compared to any outlet. Shortly after fantasylabs releases info rotoworld harps on it, the details of which trickles down to yahoo since they pay top dollar for that analysis integration.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:40 AM, wisegeeks said:

I would love to understand this, maybe Yahoo! did change their protocols.

Can anyone verify?

Seems like they finally changed their system. All Boston players have an INJ tag right away even though they are "only" close contact. 

I'm actually surprised that they're going ahead with the Boston/Washington game considering who the Wiz played last game and the Time Lord testing positive. Probably just better to reschedule the game to prevent any further potential spread.

41 minutes ago, sharkpotato said:

I'm actually surprised that they're going ahead with the Boston/Washington game considering who the Wiz played last game and the Time Lord testing positive. Probably just better to reschedule the game to prevent any further potential spread.

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/1347599765861769218?s=20

6 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

I read you can still get COVID even if vaccinated?

Who knows, I just don’t think bubble is happening. 

Could easily be wrong 

33 minutes ago, KingDURANTULA said:

Season postpone incoming

Eh maybe but I don't think so.

NBA isn't any better than these other leagues and they love money just as much as these other leagues. The reality is players and teams just have to be better. I'm a Seahawks fan and they basically had their own team bubbles and were very strict. Not a single case all year other than a practice squad player. The solution has to be off the court. More mask wearing, less practice, and etc isn't going to help (what WOJ basically just tweeted). Players have to make the sacrifice and not be going out there like NBA players like to do. Only way to do it really.

4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Eh maybe but I don't think so.

NBA isn't any better than these other leagues and they love money just as much as these other leagues. The reality is players and teams just have to be better. I'm a Seahawks fan and they basically had their own team bubbles and were very strict. Not a single case all year other than a practice squad player. The solution has to be off the court. More mask wearing, less practice, and etc isn't going to help (what WOJ basically just tweeted). Players have to make the sacrifice and not be going out there like NBA players like to do. Only way to do it really.

They should suspend the league for a couple of weeks so that the affected teams can regroup (and get back to an even playing field). Then resume with tighter restrictions. 

The bubble won’t happen, this is all on the players. Think about this , you have 30 teams, players coaches staff trainers, those are the close contacts, then you have the family. Family is a high risk for contacting , but the main culprit is the females that not your star player is banging, but maybe the trainer or the end of the bench guy. He gets covid and daps up tatum or let’s say....KD , KD drops 39 feels good decides hey imma hit up the birdie from the bronx for the boogie down. That chick prolly smashed 4 dudes this week b4 her call to the big leagues. The bubble took that luxury from rich athletes w testosterone more than trump. You telling me they ain’t the ones ******** up the money?! It’s the damn players who need to wake the fk up

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Bubble put a straining players because they had they wives and family there , fighting , beefing, cheating, **** was a **** show but a reality tv goldmine. They couldn’t do nothing but see they wives see they gf , now that the bubble is gone they back at it. 

plus doing Christmas gatherings didn’t help, half of the NBA still went to houses to celebrate holidays. They messing up their own money, thing is it’s covid so they get to f--- women from diff states , get covid and take a vacation. You don’t gotta show up for practice , fly down to do your job, you just stay quarantine w the girl u banging that’s simple. If I’m getting 1 mil a game I’m getting covid n sitting n collect 

6 minutes ago, sharkpotato said:

They should suspend the league for a couple of weeks so that the affected teams can regroup (and get back to an even playing field). Then resume with tighter restrictions. 

Yeah maybe. Couple weeks wouldn't kill the NBA.

As for a bubble zero chance. These dudes were b******* over having to be in bubble for the playoffs. It doesn't help the NBA that their players are the biggest divas in all of professional sports. 

5 minutes ago, L3onD said:

celtics exploiting health protocols and rests...they dont want to lose

Celts said they’d play yesterday with 7. Was the heat who said they don’t have the numbers. Nice one champ. 

Edited by Pirate