NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kawhi Leonard 2020-2021 Outlook

CORTEz

Didn't see a thread so figured I would start one.

With all the news of him being a premadonna last season, (arriving late, having his own flights and playing time rules) and seeing how all of the escalated into chaos,

Is there any chance that we see Kawhi not sit many games this year and actually play close to a full season?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Didn't see a thread so figured I would start one.

With all the news of him being a premadonna last season, (arriving late, having his own flights and playing time rules) and seeing how all of the escalated into chaos,

Is there any chance that we see Kawhi not sit many games this year and actually play close to a full season?

There is a chance you and I win the lottery 10 times each before he plays a full season but jokes aside he was still ranked high even with the load management crap. I have gotten him in every mock draft second round 

• Like 2

Yeah I doubt he plays a full year or close to it. He actually isn’t the same guy he used to be. The media hypes him up and the best player in the world, and he did have an all time great playoffs 2 years ago, but he isn’t even as good as he was in SA. It’s clear he has lost lateral quickness and isn’t the same defender. Sorry to break it to Kawhi owners but I’d sell while he still has high value. I enjoy watching him play but I get a sense his time is limited as a top player. In redraft you know what you’re getting into, he’s stay very valuable.

Kawhi will never, ever play a full season for as long he's playing basketball. It just won't happen. His leg issue is degenerative and chronic and I think the rest days are an absolute must for him. You can see him limping after tough games in the playoffs.

If you draft him with the reality that you'll only ever get maybe 75-80% of a season out of him, he's great. Provides 1st round value on a per game basis, but obviously is gonna hurt you when he's load managed

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Kawhi will never, ever play a full season for as long he's playing basketball. It just won't happen. His leg issue is degenerative and chronic and I think the rest days are an absolute must for him. You can see him limping after tough games in the playoffs.

If you draft him with the reality that you'll only ever get maybe 75-80% of a season out of him, he's great. Provides 1st round value on a per game basis, but obviously is gonna hurt you when he's load managed

I like you man, I notice we think alike lol

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Drafted him 2nd round last night and i know he will be a headache but to the doubters..... Kawhi me a river!

ohhh maaan 10 + missed games by default... I feel sorry for u :( 
EDIT: Basically every 4games week turns into 3 games week for him... 😕 

Edited by Stefan

With the proliferation of B2B from a condensed schedule, and NBA sit out fines, many players will both be resting when they can, but not resting too much. I think the missed games for Kawhi is less of an issue this season than in others. Other players will sit out more than they might.

15 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

and other  star players will not rest at all come fantasy playoff time? 

With Kawhi load management/random rest days risk comes as a  i n e v i t a b i l i t y
Other 2nd round stars like Trae, Book, Ayton, Tatum, Vooch, Bam, Ben, Beal, Siakam don't come with that. Simple

Edited by Stefan

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

With Kawhi load management/random rest days risk comes as a  i n e v i t a b i l i t y
Other 2nd round stars like Trae, Book, Ayton, Tatum, Vooch, Bam, Ben, Beal, Siakam don't come with that. Simple

having said all of this, I just hope he isn't available 2nd round when I pick :D I'd be tempted late 2nd, I must admit

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Y’all do realize that Kawhi was 6th last season in totals right? 3rd per game. He was still a first rounder on a totals basis even with load management. Many players will be resting this year, not just Kawhi.

Edited by Stefan

Glass half full vs glass half empty...

You can say that load management is bad for his value and that Kawhi might rest during fantasy playoffs

I will say that  Kawhi  will produce top 15 value (per game or total) during any 3 week stretch this season.

I will take top 15 value over potential rest days (considering that  we know before the draft about rest days)

• Like 2

Kinda depends how many starters and bench players your league allows. Last year, during the week of December 30th, the NBA played only 48 games. If Kawhi sat, you likely didn't have a replacement option. No bueno. This year, during the week of December 28th, there are 104 scheduled games. When Kawhi sits this year, it seems to me that most of us will have replacement options on our bench. I think he's one of only a few guys who can finish the year as the #1 per game value, but you can grab him in the 2nd round. No brainer.

Edited by MrCantaloupe
Correction: 48 games
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, fabrar said:

If Kawhi is available for you in round 2 and you don't take him, you dun goofed. This is a guy who legitimately has a chance at posting top 6 value that you can get in the mid-teens. He's a steal at his ADP even with load management

why's that ? 

You could possibly take Trae, Book, Tatum, Beal 2nd round and save yourself a headache. AND Kawhi is not just load managment prone, he's also injury prone. Let's not forget about that. He did not look healthy in Denver series, let's not lie to ourself

Edited by Stefan

2 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Kinda depends how many starters and bench players your league allows. Last year, during the week of December 30th, the NBA played only 48 games. If Kawhi sat, you likely didn't have a replacement option. No bueno. This year, during the week of December 28th, there are 104 scheduled games. When Kawhi sits this year, it seems to me that most of us will have replacement options on our bench. I think he's one of only a few guys who can finish the year as the #1 per game value, but you can grab him in the 2nd round. No brainer.

Oof. I'm a moron. 48 games should be multipled by 2 since there are 2 teams playing. Taking a lap.