NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kawhi Leonard 2020-2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, Stefan said:

why's that ? 

You could possibly take Trae, Book, Tatum, Beal 2nd round and save yourself a headache. AND Kawhi is not just load managment prone, he's also injury prone. Let's not forget about that. He did not look healthy in Denver series, let's not lie to ourself

Other than Tatum those other dudes are also injury prone and their usage will be impacted this season. Have to hope for the best or deal him when he is on fire 

• Like 1
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m guessing everyone whose been dealt draft picks on the turn is in this thread ? Lol

What it do baby!

Posted Images

5 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Other than Tatum those other dudes are also injury prone and their usage will be impacted this season. Have to hope for the best or deal him when he is on fire 

Beal hasn't been injury prone for years and Booker was fairly durable last season. Trae isn't exactly a glassman either. Kawhi is far more of a risk than any of those 3

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Actually no...  it's the opposite for Trae. Trae is a fast healer. He get's over injuries with ease. 
Book games played per season: 76, 78, 54 (wasn't the injury, Suns did the tankathon to get D. Ayton and shut him down), 64, 70 (out of 73) 
Beal games played recent seasons: 77, 82, 82, 57 (out of 64)

So yeah nobody in this group is injury prone, except for Leonard..

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

I think anyone in a real league will know by now that when someone is trying to trade away Kawhi, he's trying to get rid of that headache as well & pass it on to someone. And as @Stefanmentioned, those other guys are all the picture of health now compared to Kawhi. (Trae can fall out of a truck and probably drop 50 the next day after saying "I got bruised")

Edited by tazdingo
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Stefan said:

Actually no...  it's the opposite for Trae. Trae is a fast healer. He get's over injuries with ease. 
Book games played per season: 76, 78, 54 (wasn't the injury, Suns did the tankathon to get D. Ayton and shut him down), 64, 70 (out of 73) 
Beal games played recent seasons: 77, 82, 82, 57 (out of 64)

So yeah nobody in this group is injury prone, except for Leonard..

This year brother everyone is missing games. 

• Like 3

After drafting, I chatted with the guy in my h2h league who owned kawhi last year (and whose team crushed the regular season) asking if the load management left him regretting taking claw in the 2nd round. He said it was an overhyped issue and he loved rolling with two MVP caliber players despite the risk.

Remember, just because someone's guaranteed to miss a handful of games doesn't mean everyone else automatically plays more. You're banking on durability but if you happen to only get 50 out of booker or beal, would you take that over 50 from kawhi? Those are unlikelier scenarios, sure, but they would also be tougher scenarios for winning a title.

So there's a compelling upside to kawhi's reputation as señor load management - it lowers his stock to the point where even if he gives you 65-70% of a season (he managed 79% last year), the net value remains somewhat competitive for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, whereas if one of the "safer" options around that point happens to struggle with injury, they go down as a bigger bust because their per-game production is weaker. 

Then think about optimistic scenarios: Kawhi was a top 10-15 player in 8-cat despite missing 15 games. Maybe this year he only misses 10; where would that put him? Most 2nd rounders will need perfect health for a shot at this kind of value.

Not to mention the clips and the chip on their shoulders regarding a lack of chemistry, which can't be fixed without their star. I like where the team's at in terms of mentality and wanting to prove themselves worthy of the hype. I don't think they're looking to coast.

All this to say it takes high ceiling players to win fantasy, so when mid-1st round potential is available at 22, you're in a position to raise the roof.

• Like 2

Yeah kawhi in the 2nd round is a no brainer. The load management missed games are acceptable because you're getting 1st round value - and arguably top 5 value - outside of the first round. A savvy manager who drafts the rest of his squad well and plays the waiver can easily make up for the missed games. 

• Like 2

I took Kawhi with the last pick in round 1, lol. Of course the load management concerns were my main issue, however the next pick I grabbed KD.

So my play here is, Kawhi and KD are 2 out of the 5 best players in the world... Hopefully they play enough. 

26 minutes ago, Sosa said:

I took Kawhi with the last pick in round 1, lol. Of course the load management concerns were my main issue, however the next pick I grabbed KD.

So my play here is, Kawhi and KD are 2 out of the 5 best players in the world... Hopefully they play enough. 

Seems like this might be happening a lot. In all 3 of my money leagues managers did the same. 

Edited by Pirate
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Sosa said:

BOL just did the same!!

Took KD with my 9th(1st round) & Kawhi with my 16th(2nd Round) regardless of the potential DNP's when they play they PERFORM. I'm excited to watch Kawhi play this year and love the opening week schedule since people are pegging them as 'revenge games'.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2923329-kawhi-leonard-will-be-used-in-triangle-like-jordan-kobe-per-clippers-hc-ty-lue

Also, i feel like the article above is worth linking. ^

2 minutes ago, HerrMcKenzie said:

So I got him at 24!! Which should be a pretty big steal. But Clippers got 9 back to backs in their first 38 games, did he rest all back to backs last year? 

yes

hoping that number is cut in half this go round