NBC Sports Edge Forums

Karl Anthony-Towns 2020-2021 Outlook

1 minute ago, NoHablaIngles said:

You stay with KAT. You take the top 5 production. Stop overthinking it. 

Obviously his wrist is not 100%, they said it would be 6-8 for him to be back to normal. Good news is that playing through will not affect the healing and KAT is still putting up elite production even if his wrist is in a bit of pain. He ditched the cast so things are trending in the right direction at least

Exactly. 

Why do people think that KAT doesn’t want to play basketball this year? It’s ridiculous. It’s not a job for him, it’s not like going to your cubicle job is for you. It’s a passion for him, he loves it. And after the year he’s had, being around basketball and his teammates and the whole staff gives him respite from his troubles.

Plus, he honors him mom and the other family he lost by playing. After all the stuff she did for him growing up and all the work he put in to reach reach this point, do you think his mom would want him to waste a year of his prime? I’m sure that’s what his dad and sisters tell him, or at least that’s what I would tell a family member in his situation. 

You gotta try to humanize people and put yourself in their shoes. If his rehab from a major car crash in the off-season so quick that we didn’t even know about it; his rush to return from the dislocated wrist in like 2 weeks; and his impressive conditioning after COVID (good enough to play 30+ mins on a B2B) doesn’t scream to you that this guy wants to be in the court, IDK what to tell you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sending KAT all my COVID-19 antibodies

I know you traded him for Bam, but you don’t need to keep hanging around here and justifying this trade by negging towns.    Nobody is even really hating on you for making this trade, you get a

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

If it was bam that he got I wouldn't ca that a major loss. If wolves had something to play for I wouldn't think twice but his got major shutdown (wrist, covid scare, lack of motivation, ping pong balls) written on him right now. I understand he was reliable in past yrs even played when the team still blows but every interview he makes now seems negative.

It looks like you're fairly convinced about him not having long-term top 5-10 value so maybe trading him is the best move for you

If him playing meaningful minutes every game even with all these issues you mentioned isn't indicative of him wanting to ball out, idk what is or what else would convince you lol. 

Edited by fabrar
17 minutes ago, fabrar said:

It looks like you're fairly convinced about him not having long-term top 5-10 value so maybe trading him is the best move for you

If him playing meaningful minutes every game even with all these issues you mentioned isn't indicative of him wanting to ball out, idk what is or what else would convince you lol. 

I think he will be consistent top 5 value but i just fear the fantasy playoff shutdown risk. From all the 1st rounders he might have the highest unless AD's situation gets worst. I can picture a month from end of the season where wolves go full tank mode and ride out guys like Ant Naz and even rubio. Even OKC is closer in the race than the wolves are., thats how bad this team has been.

Edited by the1gq2nvy

If he didn't want to play... he wouldn't be playing right now. Simple.

KAT will not get shutdown, he prides himself on being out on the court. He played all season long in 16, 17, 18 and 19 even when the wolves were out of contention. 

"Shutdown risk" is the most overused term in fantasy, and it so rarely happens that you are setting yourself up for failure if you try to be proactive about it. Dealing a top 5 player? No thanks.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, the1gq2nvy said:

If it was bam that he got I wouldn't ca that a major loss. If wolves had something to play for I wouldn't think twice but his got major shutdown (wrist, covid scare, lack of motivation, ping pong balls) written on him right now. I understand he was reliable in past yrs even played when the team still blows but every interview he makes now seems negative.

This argument seems to be going on for years now, with little evidence to support it.

Based on the last 10 years, what would be your guess on what percentage of franchise/all star players on bad teams have been shut down for illegitimate reasons? My guess would be that it's not more than 2-3%, in other words very small (not that we can calculate it). I don't recall of many examples in recent history which would be obvious examples of this. The only example I can think of is Bledsoe in 2017, but he had a knee injury at the time. This year we've got Griffin and Drummond sitting till a trade, but they're not franchise players by any means.

Most players' prime years do not extend beyond 6-7 years in many cases (some fewer, like DMC, Blake Griffin), and they love playing. Would you sit the last quarter of a season if it were you? It's not like teams can dictate this anyway (hint: player empowerment era).

To sum up, I think the actual shutdown risk for franchise players is negligible. This applies not only to KAT but also to LaVine, Hayward, Grant, Beal, and Vooch, etc.

Edited by rush007
  • Like 1

Obviously not trading him for peanuts but most experienced managers don't want this risk in their 1st rd player.  I see shutdown happen all the time. Marc gasol in career yr couple yrs back not injured got played sparingly end of season. Adding now dlo is out for majority of season...wolves already looking to get another high draft pick. 

Here was Kat's response last night-

Karl-Anthony Towns on his wrist injury:

"It still is what it is. It's still not recovered whatsoever."

It's already been a month of rest and his not saying it's gotten any better. A month or two from now when wolves are 15-60 I guarantee the organization and towns himself is looking on to next season.

I seen him lurking this thread earlier lol

Atleast come in and welcome the energy you invited.

You can’t show up and gloat after a gd Bam game next time if you don’t come collect your lumps today.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

If he didn't want to play... he wouldn't be playing right now. Simple.

KAT will not get shutdown, he prides himself on being out on the court. He played all season long in 16, 17, 18 and 19 even when the wolves were out of contention. 

"Shutdown risk" is the most overused term in fantasy, and it so rarely happens that you are setting yourself up for failure if you try to be proactive about it. Dealing a top 5 player? No thanks.

Exactly. It boggles my mind that this conversation about KAT not wanting to play is still happening.

- At the start of the season, despite being impacted from all of the death in his family, he played.

- He got hurt a few games in. But came back super early because he wanted to play. So he played. Hurt.

- He got Covid and despite uninformed people questioning why it was taking so long to get back while having no clue how it actually affected him, he is back now and playing. Back to back as well. Still hurt.

And in years past he has shown the propensity to not sit games. Regarding last year, I tend to give players that up until that point played like every game for years straight the benefit of the doubt that he was too hurt to play.

If people want some validation in their mind and from others that their trade of KAT for less than he is worth when healthy was the right thing to do, so be it. It is obvious his wrist is still hurt given that we all know the timeline of when it was supposed to be healed. But just know that the narrative that KAT is going to just quit playing because of “fill in the blank reason” is false and not based in any reality.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

Obviously not trading him for peanuts but most experienced managers don't want this risk in their 1st rd player.  I see shutdown happen all the time. Marc gasol in career yr couple yrs back not injured got played sparingly end of season. Adding now dlo is out for majority of season...wolves already looking to get another high draft pick. 

Here was Kat's response last night-

Karl-Anthony Towns on his wrist injury:

"It still is what it is. It's still not recovered whatsoever."

It's already been a month of rest and his not saying it's gotten any better. A month or two from now when wolves are 15-60 I guarantee the organization and towns himself is looking on to next season.

Are you referring to Marc Gasol's 2018-19 season where he was a 34-year old player on a young team? That's a very, very different situation. He wasn't even shut down anyway, he was moved to Toronto and played less.

KAT's playing. That's the important thing. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, the1gq2nvy said:

I think he will be consistent top 5 value but i just fear the fantasy playoff shutdown risk. From all the 1st rounders he might have the highest unless AD's situation gets worst. I can picture a month from end of the season where wolves go full tank mode and ride out guys like Ant Naz and even rubio. Even OKC is closer in the race than the wolves are., thats how bad this team has been.

When was the last time a young star player was shut down who wasn't a serious injury risk or demanding a trade? I'm not understanding the thought process here. I saw you brought up Marc Gasol...who was like 34 and already pretty much washed. It's not even a comparison. 

4 minutes ago, rush007 said:

Are you referring to Marc Gasol's 2018-19 season where he was a 34-year old player on a young team? That's a very, very different situation. He wasn't even shut down anyway, he was moved to Toronto and played less.

KAT's playing. That's the important thing. 

lol no it was the year before that one. I owned him and remember he tore it up and then end of the season they just sat him for no reason besides the team having a loss record. Anyways it happens way more than you think and that was him with 0 injuries.

The only thing I see being shut down is this argument MIN will decide not to play him because they aren’t doing well.  

Also, this notion that trading KAT for Bam is a good idea — that got shut down pretty quickly. 

1 minute ago, the1gq2nvy said:

lol no it was the year before that one. I owned him and remember he tore it up and then end of the season they just sat him for no reason besides the team having a loss record. Anyways it happens way more than you think and that was him with 0 injuries.

Can you provide some more examples, since it happens more than we think?

5 minutes ago, fabrar said:

When was the last time a young star player was shut down who wasn't a serious injury risk or demanding a trade? I'm not understanding the thought process here. I saw you brought up Marc Gasol...who was like 34 and already pretty much washed. It's not even a comparison. 

Well owning Kat last year they sat him for weeks (pretty much ending his season) and that was only due to wrist sprain and not a fracture/dislocation like this time. I got burned last year by him mid march thinking he be done for the season but then season ended due to covid. If he wasn't injured i would be a lot more confident holding him. Im pretty sure if Wolves were in contention Kat would of kept playing. I remember he tried gutting it out and played even more and still performed but finally decided to just sit for rest of last season. What makes you think he wont do the same again this year when wolves are even more worst than last season and this time it was a dislocation.

Edited by the1gq2nvy
9 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

Right, when he was 33 (already past his prime), missed only 9 games all season, and played into April. 

Sorry but if this is your evidence you're really not justifying your argument at all.

Edited by rush007
3 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

Well owning Kat last year they sat him for weeks (pretty much ending his season) and that was only due to wrist sprain and not a fracture/dislocation like this time. I got burned last year by him mid march thinking he be done for the season but then season ended due to covid. If he wasn't injured i would be a lot more confident holding him. Im pretty sure if Wolves were in contention Kat would of kept playing. I remember he tried gutting it out and played even more and still performed but finally decided to just sit for rest of last season. What makes you think he wont do the same again this year when wolves are even more worst than last season and this time it was a dislocation.

...what? You're making completely unrelated arguments and contradicting yourself. I'm asking when a player was shut down that didn't have anything to do with an injury. He had a serious injury last year, which is why he didn't play. If his wrist issue was so serious he wouldn't be playing a B2B, almost 40 minutes and putting up a 30 pt double double. 

So again - why would he be shut down unless it was a serious injury? 

Just now, fabrar said:

...what? You're making completely unrelated arguments and contradicting yourself. I'm asking when a player was shut down that didn't have anything to do with an injury. He had a serious injury last year, which is why he didn't play. If his wrist issue was so serious he wouldn't be playing a B2B, almost 40 minutes and putting up a 30 pt double double. 

So again - why would he be shut down unless it was a serious injury? 

Thats the point i was making. Last season it wasn't a dislocation or a fracture and he stopped playing in Feb and sat until mid march when NBA got postponned. Now his got a real wrist injury, a month later claiming he hasn't healed whatsoever and with losses piling up...what makes you think he decides to gut it out if he didn't do it last year.

So, the idea is to not play KAT to hopefully get another KAT at the next draft? So then next year they can sit both KAT and Edwards and finish last again, meaning that the original KAT wants then to leave?

• Haha 2

This guy acts like the wrist is one bone and one tendon...

anyways, the most recent example of a young player on a bad team being sat at the end of the season is AD on the Pels 2 seasons ago. But even then, he was like top 30 for the weeks were he played limited minutes. KAT isn’t being traded and the wolves do a fine job losing with him on the court anyways so what’s the problem?

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

Thats the point i was making. Last season it wasn't a dislocation or a fracture and he stopped playing in Feb and sat until mid march when NBA got postponned. Now his got a real wrist injury, a month later claiming he hasn't healed whatsoever and with losses piling up...what makes you think he decides to gut it out if he didn't do it last year.

Last year's injury was a fracture.

Who did you trade KAT for, btw?

1 minute ago, sgergole said:

So, the idea is to not play KAT to hopefully get another KAT at the next draft? So then next year they can sit both KAT and Edwards and finish last again, meaning that the original KAT wants then to leave?

Unfortunately that is what the NBA teams have come down to. Just look at OKC they liqudated all their assets to get draft picks...its a business to them now. Wolves probably got barely any fans as it is so they dont need to sell tickets specially this year due to lack of fans.

Just now, fabrar said:

Last year's injury was a fracture.

Who did you trade KAT for, btw?

I haven't yet....Im trying to though...offering him and Utah bodan for curry for starters. I love Kat but don't say i did't try to warn you guys a month or two from now.

10 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

Unfortunately that is what the NBA teams have come down to. Just look at OKC they liqudated all their assets to get draft picks...its a business to them now. Wolves probably got barely any fans as it is so they dont need to sell tickets specially this year due to lack of fans.

Wait...so the Wolves don't make a lot of money selling tickets...so their plan would be to make even less money by shutting down the only guy that fans would actually pay to see? Your logic is that this corporation that only cares about money...is gonna try and make less money?

Lmfao