NBC Sports Edge Forums

How to improve dynasty team this offseason? WHIR

Hey guys, I am in a 5x5 roto dynasty league. 12 teams. This is my team below. Where do you I think I should try and improve this offseason? I'm thinking I need a legit #2 starter behind Beiber, but let me know if you see something else that is a glaring need. I finished 3rd last season btw. Any help is appreciated and please drop a link and I'll answer! Thanks!

C - Will Smith

1B- Cody Bellinger

2B- Cavan Biggio

MI- Tommy Edman

SS - Tim Anderson

CI- Matt Chapman

3B - Jose Ramirez

OF- Bryce Harper

OF - Dylan Carlson

OF - JD Martinez

OF - Joey Gallo

OF - Kyle Schwarber

U- Kolten Wong

U - Willie Calhoun

Bench: Mitch Moreland, Joey Wendle, Michael Chavis

P- Shane Beiber

P - Chris Sale

P - Sandy Alcantara

P - Frankie Montas

P- Chris Bassit

P - Justin Dunn

P - Kyle Freeland

RP - Edwin Diaz

RP - Mark Melancon

RP - Kirby Yates

RP - Archie Bradley

RP - Richard Rodriguez

RP - Adam Ottavino

Notable Prospects

OF - Kristian Robinson

SS- Royce Lewis

SS- Noelvi Marte

OF - Trevor Larnach

P - Logan Gilbert

P - Shane Baz

Your depth is lacking for a 12 team league.  You have some really nice players (Bellinger, Harper, JoRam, Bieber), but lack some depth.  You could definitely use some SP help, but not sure how you get any without a lot of tradable pieces.  Montas should rebound some, and Alcantara could be a sleeper if the Marlins continue their ascent.  But you really dont have another SP after Bieber you can really count on.  Hopefully Sale can prove his health, hopefully Montas just had a down year.  Lots of "if's" there.  Some decent names on the farm, I would start there and see what kind of SP help you might be able to get with those guys, as the back half of your MLB roster, doesnt really have anything exciting IMO

Edited by TheTruth024

The question is: what are you looking to do? Are you looking to try to win 2021? Or trying to have a great team for a long time?

If you want to go long term, I would deal JRam while he's at his peak, aiming to get 2-3 good young MLB players and a couple of good prospects.

Same for Harper.

You have good young assets in Carlson, Noelvi, Lewis, Larnach and Gilbert, you could add to this group by trading some of your older players. 

It really comes down to what your goal is. If I had this team, I'd look too see how I could either get better short term (without trading away my best prospects) or look long term and trade away stars for a load of prospects/young players. For example, trading JRam for Vlad Jr (or similar) and other pieces. 

A 12 team league is a smaller dynasty so I would trade your prospects for immediate help.  You are competitive now but do need depth as was mentioned above.

Being only 12 teams you should be able to replace prospects easily.  New ones pop up each year and are fast risers.  I think you have the prospect ammo to add some quality MLB guys, especially if you can swing some deals with rebuilding teams.

Edited by apap414