NBC Sports Edge Forums

Washington Wizards 2020-2021 Outlook

It's been a while since we've had a good discussion involving the Wizards organization. Let's chat!

I'll start by saying that I won't go down the crazy path of saying that they are one player away from being a true contender for the title....but I will say that I think they are one player away from becoming a Top-2/3 team in the East.

With this being a 72-game season this year, I think them adding Russ takes them from being a 20-52 team, to being a 46-26 team. They'll lose their fair share of games due to their defensive mentality, but they instantly become a watchable team and a team that's going to be a tough out in any playoff series.

Potential Starting Lineup

Russell Westbrook - PG
Bradley Beal - SG
Davis Bertans - SF
Rui Hachimura - PF
Thomas Bryant - C

Bench players - Robin Lopez (C), Troy Brown (G/F), Gary Payton II (G), Mo Wagner (F)

I believe that as of right now, the Wizards are 1 solid B player away from being a legitimate 50-22 kind of team in the east. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening this season unless they were to acquire someone at the trade deadline.

But, this is where opportunity begins to circulate, with names like ATL's John Collins or CLE's Andre Drummond start popping up. Possibly someone like Will Barton's name. Or heck, even Blake Griffin, Victor Oladipo or even outlandishly speaking, someone like Giannis if the Jrue Holiday experiment goes south this year and the Bucks once again fail to make it to the Finals.

Granted, the Wizards don't have a ton of assets, and if they're trying to deal to get a bigger name in the future (Giannis, Collins), they'll probably have to lose one or both of say Deni and Hachimura or Bryant.

But the future is finally looking up for the Wizards, the highest they've been since arguably the Gilbert Arenas days. At the very minimum, they're going to be fun to watch.

And fantasy wise, I think Russ going to Washington is a positive for almost every person on the roster, including Bradley Beal, a guy who doesn't need to dribble 10,000 times in order to be affective.

I think this opens up the floor and spacing for Bertans to take and drain infinite 3-pointers. I think this opens up nice mid-range jumpers and in the paint shots for Hachimura and Bryant.

And Russell Westbrook re-unites with the one and seemingly only coach that seemed to hold him accountable and who he respects in Scotty Brooks.

10 minutes ago, Pumbaa said:

spoken like a true fan. for one, I want to see what Russ and Beal will do together. 

dont forget Serbian wizard from Israel... Deni's father was a quite a player back in the day (that what my dad says). ;) 

Zufer Avdija ... the legend.  He was really good and his defense often resulted in bruises  on the opposing player.

Back to Wizards,  they might make playoffs this year, 7-8 spot and first round exit is their ceiling this year

46-26 might be a little "too hyped" so I apologize, but they should definitely be a shoe-in for a 40-32 record, or something around that.

I see them being the 7th or 8th seed in the East, behind TOR, MIL, PHI, BKN, BOS, MIA.

Feels like the #7-8 seeds are going to be completely up for grabs between WAS, IND, ORL, ATL

Edited by CORTEz
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

46-26 might be a little "too hyped" so I apologize, but they should definitely be a shoe-in for a 40-32 record, or something around that.

I see them being the 7th or 8th seed in the East, behind TOR, MIL, PHI, BKN, BOS, MIA.

Feels like the #6-8 seeds are going to be completely up for grabs between WAS, IND, ORL, ATL

Bucks

Celtics

Brooklyn

Raptors

Sixers

Miami

Pacers

Hawks

Magic

Wizards

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Bucks

Celtics

Brooklyn

Raptors

Sixers

Miami

Pacers

Hawks

Magic

Wizards

That's easily possible....but as a Wizards fan, I'm putting my eggs in a basket and calling that they're finishing with a better record than the 2 of those 3 teams (Pacers, Hawks, or Magic)

Celtics, Bucks, Nets, Raptors, Heat and Sixers are the only teams that feel like a "Sure thing" in the east, I question ATL's defense, Orlando's fire power, and the Pacers roster.

54 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

That's easily possible....but as a Wizards fan, I'm putting my eggs in a basket and calling that they're finishing with a better record than the 2 of those 3 teams (Pacers, Hawks, or Magic)

Celtics, Bucks, Nets, Raptors, Heat and Sixers are the only teams that feel like a "Sure thing" in the east, I question ATL's defense, Orlando's fire power, and the Pacers roster.

Question ATL defense 🤔 but not the Wizards defense lol. Questions Orlando's firepower who were missing their most improved and best 2 way player in Isaac. Questions a Pacers roster that made the playoffs as a 5th seed and were the 2nd best team in the bubble even with Oladipo struggling coming back from injury. Yea must be a Wizards fan lol

Edited by DezedandConfused

I just can’t see how injecting Russell Westbrook’s decision making into an a team that doesn’t play defense and has Bryant or Bertans as their third best player will translate to the playoffs.

Way I see it, the Pacers are also a lock - so there is only 1 slot left. You could argue that with McMillan out and Dipo probably on the way out, their outlook ain’t great. However, their new coach (and players) have been preaching about the implementation of a more modern and fluid offense, which is way better than McMillan’s slow paced 40+ mins of PnR/PnPs.

ATL has the depth and more firepower

ORL is well coached and has been an above average defensive team under Clifford. They will be without Isaac, so theres a chance they blow it up midseason - which will be IMO, the Wiz’s only opportunity to sneak in.

But then you may also have to factor in the Bulls who have an actual coach now with some young talent.

Time will tell but from the outside looking in, its far from a lock.

As it stands, I'd take the Wizards to make the 8th seed over Orlando based on the fact that Westbrook has taken a team with less talent and forced their way to the playoffs for several years. Beal is an immense upgrade over Oladipo, Adams, and whoever else ended up as Westbrook's teammate so that should make it easier for the team to make the playoffs barring another injury. I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta and Washington were duking it out for the 8th spot next season but if I still had to guess, I'd think Washington makes it in just coz of star power.

• 4 weeks later...

Westbrook is one of the worst team basketball stars in NBA History.. dude just plays hero ball every night and has ZERO IQ and sense of how to actually win basketball games.. just a god awful team player... i don't mean teammate.. i mean playing winning team basketball..  he should take maybe 10-12 shots a night and average about 13-15 pts a night..

• Like 2
1 minute ago, MNDOGG said:

Westbrook is one of the worst team basketball stars in NBA History.. dude just plays hero ball every night and has ZERO IQ and sense of how to actually win basketball games.. just a god awful team player... i don't mean teammate.. i mean playing winning team basketball..  he should take maybe 10-12 shots a night and average about 13-15 pts a night..

I disagree. From a fantasy perspective. He is fine. Thank you. Management. 

• Haha 1
Just now, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I disagree. From a fantasy perspective. He is fine. Thank you. Management. 

huh?? im clearly talking about reality basketball here buddy... sure he's great for fantasy but please refer back to the topic of this thread..  lets focus and stay on topic here my man..

9 minutes ago, MNDOGG said:

Shut up dude. He’s been playing his a** off. Beal is the perennial loser who can’t lead a team. The dude missed a game winning drive but let’s blame Russ get out of here with your nonsense 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, MNDOGG said:

huh?? im clearly talking about reality basketball here buddy... sure he's great for fantasy but please refer back to the topic of this thread..  lets focus and stay on topic here my man..

Great. In reality he sucks. But in a fantasy basketball forum.... thank you management!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Shut up dude. He’s been playing his a** off. Beal is the perennial loser who can’t lead a team. The dude missed a game winning drive but let’s blame Russ get out of here with your nonsense 

haha internet tough guy!  playing your a** off and being inefficient are two completely different things moron...  anyone can play their a** off but you better know how to play winning basketballs.. Russ hasnb't won SH*T! His entire career.. go look it up!   You get of here with this " oh but he plays so hard" BS... he is a ball hog black hole hero ball loser in reality..   you have no clue 

Just now, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Great. In reality he sucks. But in a fantasy basketball forum.... thank you management!

yes but this specific topic is the Wizards outlook as a TEAM! Not Fantasy or Westbrook.. sorry my man don't know how else to make that clear.. i agree with you he is great for fantasy but is a perennial loser in real basketball..

18 minutes ago, MNDOGG said:

Yup,He is just a stat padder and don't make the team better(Similar to Drummond,Whiteside)

Edited by kane
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, kane said:

Yup,He is just a stat padder and don't make the team better(Similar to Drummond,Whiteside)

anyone who thinks otherwise NEVER played the actual game themselves at any competitive level...   hes exctiting to watch.. great for stats and fantasy.. but he plays like his is michael jordan out there and he just isnt.. he shouldn't be taking jump shots down the stretch in any close game but he always has and always will.. and continue to lose ...