NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wendell Carter Jr 2020-2021 Outlook

Not feeling great.  I like the line and the fact that WCJ was on the court when the Magic went on a run, but the minutes are definitely worrisome.  Clifford had the entire year to check out Bamba and Birch, even behind Vooch, so WCJ splitting minutes with both of them is not exactly auspicious for WCJ's value going forward, even if Clifford is experimenting.  

Not yet a drop or anything, but WCJ's on thin ice in terms of producing in such limited minutes.  He didn't even get in until about the 8 minute mark of the 2nd quarter.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

U guys can trust us to play players back into form this season we got u

I usually don’t comment because every team build/structure is diff so each player is different in value for each team, but generally...I think there is a WORLD of difference in overall value between t

8-6-6 with 2 blocks with 4mins in the 3rd? You've obviously exercised patience.

Rushed to the WW to grab WCJ after the news broke he was going to Orlando for Vuc only to find out that Cliffords just dicking him around there too. I have Gallo staring right at me in the WW after finding out Collins’ ankle injury. So tempted right now but I will give it until the end of the week before I start punching the air on more players I’ve missed out on the WW.

On a side note, WCJ did look promising during that last stretch of that comeback win against the Clips. Hope he rides that momentum and maybe dickhead Clifford will extend his playing time.

4 minutes ago, lanyabatt said:

Rushed to the WW to grab WCJ after the news broke he was going to Orlando for Vuc only to find out that Cliffords just dicking him around there too. I have Gallo staring right at me in the WW after finding out Collins’ ankle injury. So tempted right now but I will give it until the end of the week before I start punching the air on more players I’ve missed out on the WW.

On a side note, WCJ did look promising during that last stretch of that comeback win against the Clips. Hope he rides that momentum and maybe dickhead Clifford will extend his playing time.

Funny you mention Collins in the WCJ thread... I have Collins, so I was thinking of trading Satoransky for WCJ to give myself some C depth.  Came here to check out the opinions on WCJ, but no one really seems to be high on him. 

I'm hoping Clifford is just giving him some time to get acclimated with the team but I'm not so sure.  I mean, surely he's better than Birch and Bamba, right?  

6 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

Funny you mention Collins in the WCJ thread... I have Collins, so I was thinking of trading Satoransky for WCJ to give myself some C depth.  Came here to check out the opinions on WCJ, but no one really seems to be high on him. 

I'm hoping Clifford is just giving him some time to get acclimated with the team but I'm not so sure.  I mean, surely he's better than Birch and Bamba, right?  

I sure hope so! WCJ was pretty much averaging a DD under Jim Boylen’s Bulls last year before the league shutdown. WTF happened?! Is this a coaching staff issue? I was a frustrated owner of Markkanen last year and would wonder why Boylen hated him so much. This year it’s the other way around with Donavan hating on WCJ. Whatever it is, hope he gets his **** together.

Tentative hold, no doubt, if you can afford it. I know many leagues are getting close to playoffs, so if you're scraping by it's understandable to drop, but if you can hold out I think he ends up playing longer down the stretch (he's closed the last two games). 

I hated WCJ in the Bulls, but on the Magic I think he will start sooner than later. Realistically think he will have a double double floor and avg 1 stock.

And this is coming from a guy who thinks he sucks.

8 minutes ago, mattshhh said:

the only C used in OT and sank four clutch free throws to ice it. make that 2 consecutive games where he rallied them to an upset.

hope ya didn't drop him

He was literally on the verge of getting dropped!

Do we sell high or hold? My leagues trade deadline is on 4/5

5 minutes ago, lanyabatt said:

I see this as an opportunity with massive upside, as he's never had this much freedom to operate. Unless you think people would buy him at an early-mid round level, I'd hold. These situations can be fantasy playoff gold when the more established names rest for real playoffs

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lanyabatt said:

Hold. You're not going to get the kind of value back that he can potentially provide. He just showed that tonight.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Padilla814 said:

Someone dropped him after his 1st Orlando game. I’m going to be patient with him over the weekend but this should be a solid waiver claim.

I have K Love in IR. And with Love being active I can’t make anymore moves until I remove him from IR, so the plan was to watch WCJ, Okeke, and Jaden Mcdaniels. Okeke I think has proven ROS value to me for an end of bench guy so he’s pretty much secured a spot. With WCJ’s line tonight I’m surely holding and closely monitoring. Now I have to choose between Jaden Mcdaniels and Love with K Love looking like the clear drop due to minute restrictions and injury management/rest. But safe to say I won’t be dropping WCJ anytime soon.... hopefully 🤞

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Padilla814 said:

Someone dropped him after his 1st Orlando game. I’m going to be patient with him over the weekend but this should be a solid waiver claim.

Congrats. Picking up a guy like this for free, this late in the season is probably a game changing league winning move. 

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, brosephd said:

quiet in here after a 20/10

Nah, watched the game and he looked way more aggressive tonight (even grabbing a tech for challenging a ref after a dunk).

A pity that the Magic blew a huge lead against the Nuggets, but it's basically a rebuilding team full of youngsters (as evidenced when they were down 3 late, and shot what amounted to three airballs from deep in succession).  Fingers crossed Birch takes his time returning, since they look really good with Okeke at PF and WCJ starting at C (and Bamba playing about 20 mpg behind them).

Here's hoping that Clifford sticks with this lineup and chooses to develop WCJ with more minutes.  A future young core of Fultz/Okeke/Isaac/WCJ and T-Ross backing up whoever starts at SG looks promising.

• Like 1

trade fultz, ross, and anthony for 4-5 bench mob veteran leaders, and draft cunningham

a core of cunningham/3-D SG/okeke/isaac/WCJ can be a versatile, cap-friendly, and contending team in the east in two years' time.

57 minutes ago, MWon said:

Nah, watched the game and he looked way more aggressive tonight (even grabbing a tech for challenging a ref after a dunk).

A pity that the Magic blew a huge lead against the Nuggets, but it's basically a rebuilding team full of youngsters (as evidenced when they were down 3 late, and shot what amounted to three airballs from deep in succession).  Fingers crossed Birch takes his time returning, since they look really good with Okeke at PF and WCJ starting at C (and Bamba playing about 20 mpg behind them).

Here's hoping that Clifford sticks with this lineup and chooses to develop WCJ with more minutes.  A future young core of Fultz/Okeke/Isaac/WCJ and T-Ross backing up whoever starts at SG looks promising.

Magic could look to sign Lauri Markkanen to an offer sheet in the off-season and go for a  superstar like Zach Lavine to start at the 2. I also think trading Fultz for Coby White and multiple draft picks would be a nice addition to this up and coming Magic squad.

I would probably mess around with the roster a little bit and have a starting lineup of:

PG Coby White, SG Lavine, SF Otto Porter, PF Lauri Markkanen C WCJ

This way Magic bench power would be deep with Cole , Ross, Isaac, Okeke, and Bamba coming off the bench.

Lastly, Coach Clifford has been atrocious this season so my suggestion is to go for a coach with a strong culture, someone who can take this team to the next level. Maybe someone like Jim Boylen?

How many projected wins are we looking at with this Bul... I mean Magic roster for next season?

• Haha 4

I don't know why people keep thinking ORL will trade Fultz so quickly. You need Fultz to play for a stretch so he can show other teams he can be a fit or a future piece for their team. ACL tear recovery has gotten better in the modern day + he is young so he can heal. Plus I'd have Fultz over Coby any day if I was the Magic. 

WCJ is gonna get his double doubles, but I think he is still just a potential foundational player. You can't discount that the Bulls really wanted WVJ situation to work out but it just never did. Moving to ORL gave WCJ a chance but I am sure they will sign some another big this offseason (And it isn't Bamba who is trending to being out of the NBA soon)