NBC Sports Edge Forums

OG Anunoby 2020-2021 Outlook

I think fears about him repeating his role in the offense from last year are a little overblown. As an avid Raps fan, I can tell you that his offensive skillset took a huge leap in the bubble and he showed flashes of that in the preseason. His handles look much improved and his aggression is a welcome sight. No, he won’t be scoring 20ppg but Nurse is definitely going to use him more in the post, what with Siakam’s struggles with posting up and with our dearth of good bigs. That will give him a better chance to consistently rebound as well. He’s also brought the ball up the court far more than he used to and the opportunities for transition buckets off of his elite defense are tantalizing. Do not write this kid’s breakout off because of two mediocre preseason games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If he hit 1 3pt and still had 0 pts , I'd drop him too. 

I want to inform too 😀 ADP  means "average draft position", do not confuse that with rankings. Last year, OG ADP in Yahoo 9-cat leagues (you can use BBM to see the data) was 138 (finished 70

Immediate update -- saw Capela was IR eligible. Slid him over to IR, scooped Boucher. OG survives

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Every player that wasn't drafted in top-30 has "empty" games.

Not exactly. Some players outside top-30 have BAD games, but others have EMPTY games. I usually can live with bad games, but I don't like empty games.

Edited by apatas
36 minutes ago, apatas said:

Not exactly. Some players outside top-30 have BAD games, but others have EMPTY games. I usually can live with bad games, but I don't like empty games.

then you can stay away from OG, problem solved. And let us know about other players close to OG's ADP do not have "empty" games.

5 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

And let us know about other players close to OG's ADP do not have "empty" games.

This is easy: Steven Adams, Jaylen Brown, Buddy Hield, Devonte Graham, Al Horford, DeAaron Fox, Malcolm Brogdon and I can continue. OG finished 70th, all these mentioned players near to this place. I drafted Jaylen Brown and he never had empty game!!! And of course I stay away from OG and problem is solved, I just wanted to inform.

Edited by apatas
3 hours ago, apatas said:

This is easy: Steven Adams, Jaylen Brown, Buddy Hield, Devonte Graham, Al Horford, DeAaron Fox, Malcolm Brogdon and I can continue. OG finished 70th, all these mentioned players near to this place. I drafted Jaylen Brown and he never had empty game!!! And of course I stay away from OG and problem is solved, I just wanted to inform.

I want to inform too 😀

ADP  means "average draft position", do not confuse that with rankings.

Last year, OG ADP in Yahoo 9-cat leagues (you can use BBM to see the data) was 138 (finished 70, 138 -70 = +68 gain),    Adams   ADP is 72 (-38 gain), Hield 38 ( -33 gain), Horford 62 (-6 gain), Graham 111 (+38 gain), Jaylen Brown 's ADP was 115 (+46ain),   Fox ADP was  31 (-51 gain),  Brogdon ADP was 64 ( -21 gain).

So, according to their ADP position, all players that you mentioned, except Brown and Graham,  were busts relative to their ADP.  OG despite his "empty" games provided the best return on investment

Edited by Gile Pile
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, QingJames said:

I think fears about him repeating his role in the offense from last year are a little overblown. As an avid Raps fan, I can tell you that his offensive skillset took a huge leap in the bubble and he showed flashes of that in the preseason. His handles look much improved and his aggression is a welcome sight. No, he won’t be scoring 20ppg but Nurse is definitely going to use him more in the post, what with Siakam’s struggles with posting up and with our dearth of good bigs. That will give him a better chance to consistently rebound as well. He’s also brought the ball up the court far more than he used to and the opportunities for transition buckets off of his elite defense are tantalizing. Do not write this kid’s breakout off because of two mediocre preseason games.

I mean, I've seen glimpses what you're talking about, so I'll take your word on it.  I mentioned in another post that while he doesn't seem to be much involved that the times he does have the ball he seems very confident and assured of what he's doing with it.  I guess my final impression of all of that would be he knows there are other guys ahead of him in the pecking order, but he's there if he's needed and he will be ready to answer the call when his moments come.

I got him in round 7 at pick 92 in my 14 teamer, so I can't see him giving a bad ROI.  I was excited he was still there as I've gotten hyped about him thanks to a couple people in this thread, and still am excited about the possibilities seeing how sure you guys are about him.

40 minutes ago, brosephd said:

does he make a leap into early round territory? lowry another year older, no ibaka or gasol. think it's all there for him to make that pascal leap. 

Don't think he suddenly becomes a 20ppg scorer this year but upping his ppg to 14-15 seems very much possible.

Off the top of my head a 15ppg/7reb/1ast/1.6stl/1 block/1.7 3s season would be very possible with the opportunity and growth ahead of him.

That places him I guess in top 30-40 territory similar to RoCo I reckon.

Hoping for the best as well because I was so obsessed with picking him in the 6th I forgot TJ Warren (another guy I really liked) was still on the board....

Edited by Espoiral
48 minutes ago, Snatch said:

Wow.

I've seen people going crazy with their projections about the players they draft, but this is on another level. Amazing.

Which projection do you think is crazy, 15 and 7? The stocks and 3s are completely reasonable based on last year.

34 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Which projection do you think is crazy, 15 and 7? The stocks and 3s are completely reasonable based on last year.

Picking OG anywhere in the top 50 (even in 9cat) is crazy.

OG averaged 10ppg last year and the guy played 30 minutes per game, for a team that has no high usage players. Going 5 points up in his average is just wishful thinking. I would expect him to get better offensively, but even if he gets like 14ppg with 6 rebounds, there are still better options to pick inside the top 50-60. 

Edited by Snatch
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Snatch said:

Wow.

I've seen people going crazy with their projections about the players they draft, but this is on another level. Amazing.

Last year stats:  10.6 pts, 1.3 3ptm, 5.3 reb, 1.6 ast, 1.4 sta, 0.7 blks, .505/.706 on only 14.3%  usage.
With Ibaka (24% usage) and Gasol (13.3%)  gone, OG is in position to have an even better season than last year.

Edited by Gile Pile
21 minutes ago, Snatch said:

OG averaged 10ppg last year and the guy played 30 minutes per game, for a team that has no high usage players. Going 5 points up in his average is just wishful thinking. I would expect him to get better offensively, but even if he gets like 14ppg with 6 rebounds, there are still better options to pick inside the top 50-60. 

Well it's a good thing his main value doesn't come from scoring ...

No one is drafting this kid looking for points anyways.

It's his stocks and 3's + good %'s . The rebs are just gravy on top 

Very low volume FT shooter, so doesn't hurt you there. 

Edited by RunCMC
14 minutes ago, Snatch said:

For the records, Raptors had  five players that played significant minutes with usage rate of 20% or more.  For reference, Lakers and Houston had 3.

Even with 14ppg and 6 reb, with the rest of the numbers  the same as last year would  put OG  very close to Covignton numbers

See Covignton thread where he is drafted

It's funny how low usage 3&D guys get slandered so often.

It's the same logic that allows RoCo to fall to the fifth round to me every year even though he's literally a borderline first rounder in punt AST.

OG was already scoring around 13 points in his per36 last season. I see him playing about 32-34 minutes a game this year with added responsibility filling in as a small ball center at times. 14-15 points is definitely within the realm of possibility. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Well it's a good thing his main value doesn't come from scoring ...

No one is drafting this kid looking for points anyways.

It's his stocks and 3's + good %'s . The rebs are just gravy on top 

Very low volume FT shooter, so doesn't hurt you there. 

44 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

For the records, Raptors had  five players that played significant minutes with usage rate of 20% or more.  For reference, Lakers and Houston had 3.

Even with 14ppg and 6 reb, with the rest of the numbers  the same as last year would  put OG  very close to Covignton numbers

See Covignton thread where he is drafted

Stop showcasing him as a 3&D player. He is not.

1.3 3s on 14ppg brings nothing fantasy wise in the midle rounds.

You have players like Buddy Hield, Adams, Horford, Brogdon,Schroder much more impactful players in that range.

I think you're opinion of "impactful" and actual statistical impact might be 2 different things. I personally wouldn't aim for OG in a H2H league since slow and steady isn't the best for that format, but from a roto perspective OG can certainly have much more impact than most of those players, especially if his greater usage pushes those steals numbers up to 2 per game.

Edited by kball09
36 minutes ago, Snatch said:

1.3 3s on 14ppg brings nothing fantasy wise in the midle rounds.

Ok, but 1.5-1.8 spg and 0.8-1 bpg on close to 50% shooting does.  These #s are definitely in play, and when you have the potential of being a 1.5, 1, 1.5 guy (and at SF too), that is very impactful regardless of if he is scoring only 14ppg.  If you have enough guys to cover scoring, who cares what he scores.  In Roto (which I play), the 1.5, 1, 1 #s would be great.   

And if he gets to 14ppg, I will be ecstatic btw because I didn't draft him with a 4ppg jump as a given honestly.

12 minutes ago, Cardiak said:

It's my first time playing NBA fantasy and this guy is sitting on the wire. Should I drop Otto Porter for him?

You should consider posting in the manager question board in the future. But before you do that, drop what you’re doing and make the switch right now. I’m not in love with OG, but he has a far better outlook that Otto currently. Not even close. 

• Like 3
  • tonycpsu changed the title to OG Anunoby 2020-2021 Outlook