NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juan Soto 2021 Outlook

Hanghow

7 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

No, I don’t consider him to be a generational hitter.  Generational to me, at least, means literally once in a generation (20-30 years) type of players.  Vlad is good but isn’t HISTORIC in the way trout and even Soto already has been with his plate discipline and results by age 

Good? Vlad Jr is 22 years old and might win the triple crown this year. He's putting up a year that Soto has never even sniffed and even Mike Trout has produced to this level only once (188 wRC+ v Vlad 189 thus far) although Trout got a lot more steals. Not much of a difference in plate discipline in Vlad vs Trout, Vlad walks 13% slightly less, but also strikes out less at 17% when Trout is routinely 20+.

I don't think you're giving Vlad his due, especially compared to Soto, he's blowing the doors off anything Soto has ever done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Good? Vlad Jr is 22 years old and might win the triple crown this year. He's putting up a year that Soto has never even sniffed and even Mike Trout has produced to this level only once (188 wRC+ v Vlad 189 thus far) although Trout got a lot more steals. Not much of a difference in plate discipline in Vlad vs Trout, Vlad walks 13% slightly less, but also strikes out less at 17% when Trout is routinely 20+.

I don't think you're giving Vlad his due, especially compared to Soto, he's blowing the doors off anything Soto has ever done.

Soto is comped statistically to Ted Williams and has historic stats over 3 years and postseason. Vlad has 60% of a good season under his belt.  Many people have good seasons- what makes it generational is the consistency and projected consistency.  And those “small” plate discipline differences aren’t a small deal- the fact Soto is walking a lot more than he strikes out is WILD and unprecedented let alone for his age.  And Soto has an entire 5% higher walk rate than Vlad regardless- that’s a huge difference.  Soto is literally #2 in the majors.  The difference between Soto and Vlad is the difference between Vlad and Pete Alonso who is 60th in the majors 

3 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Soto is comped statistically to Ted Williams and has historic stats over 3 years and postseason. Vlad has 60% of a good season under his belt.  Many people have good seasons- what makes it generational is the consistency and projected consistency.  And those “small” plate discipline differences aren’t a small deal- the fact Soto is walking a lot more than he strikes out is WILD and unprecedented let alone for his age.  And Soto has an entire 5% higher walk rate than Vlad regardless- that’s a huge difference.  Soto is literally #2 in the majors.  The difference between Soto and Vlad is the difference between Vlad and Pete Alonso who is 60th in the majors 

Hey Soto walks alot, that's cool. But you got to produce and he's got only one 30 HR season under his belt. I get what you're saying though, it seems you need to see more from Vlad and I get that, so you are not ready to call him generational but that door seems open if he sustains? That's fair if I'm inferring that correctly... But honestly, I don't see how you can call Soto generational with his production so far by your own standards.

1 minute ago, StevieStats said:

Hey Soto walks alot, that's cool. But you got to produce and he's got only one 30 HR season under his belt. I get what you're saying though, it seems you need to see more from Vlad and I get that, so you are not ready to call him generational but that door seems open if he sustains? That's fair if I'm inferring that correctly... But honestly, I don't see how you can call Soto generational with his production so far by your own standards.

Yeah I mean, that's fair.  I guess what I'm saying is that I consider Trout generational, and expect Soto to become generational due to his otherwordly production and especially plate discipline at a young age.  Lots of players have a great season, and Vlad is a phenomenal player.   And there are a few players that can have even 5, 6, 7 seasons of phenomenal production.  What makes Soto special is his plate discipline (and of course his other production too) that suggests he's going to have generational like stats at the end of it.  ZIPS literally sees him as similar to Ted Williams and that's because plate discipline does not tend to be the thing that gets worse over time.  There is just no other comp to what Soto is doing besides the most special players (Pujols, Bonds, Williams, etc).  Seasons like Vlad have happened all the time in the past couple of years- Yelich, Bellinger, etc

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

But then he would come back and hit 3 HRs in 2 games and all would be great.

Guess we get 2 more games this week to see if it lingers into next week. I hope its not a decision we need to make for weekly. I prefer they just put him on IL 10 days and rest him. why take a chance when  washington is just playing out the season.

Edited by mks

5 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

Just uhhh wanna reiterate this

I’m sure a lot of people don’t care about every single word I write in every single post I make, especially when it’s 1/37 of words used in a post 

but normally they don’t write paragraphs and quote posts that object to the use of that word in an attempt to show they don’t care.