NBC Sports Edge Forums

Juan Soto 2021 Outlook

26 minutes ago, collucho said:

image.png.193d8aa6d60fddfad5ef087a08b9f653.png

Taken from the ESPN cover story article for anyone worried about his speed.

Edit: No one who reads that full article will draft anyone before Soto.

Do not read if you enjoy hating Soto.

No-one hates Soto, hes the best hitter in the game. But these types of posts are just confirmation bias. You have to consider a player's floor as well as ceiling. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

... Juan Soto is the guy on the right.

You guys worry too much.  Remember when everyone panicked last year that he was going to miss the season with Covid? Anyways Soto reminds me of when I owned Miguel Cabrera some years ago when he

I've come to grips recently that there is no way I can persuade myself not to take him #1. I have never been so confident in a player having an all-time great season. I mean, I felt that way last year

Posted Images

16 hours ago, collucho said:

image.png.193d8aa6d60fddfad5ef087a08b9f653.png

Taken from the ESPN cover story article for anyone worried about his speed.

Edit: No one who reads that full article will draft anyone before Soto.

Do not read if you enjoy hating Soto.

or if you hate the term "adulting"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Homered in a sim game yesterday....[...] Obvious Top-5 player, and probably Top-3.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
On 3/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, rabaak said:

As another example of a slight calf injury, in basketball, see Kevin Love. He has played maybe 4 games all year after a calf injury in December.  Nobody saw that coming and he is still having issues.  

So hopefully they are only being cautious with Soto. But calf injuries can be tricky.

Yep, calf injuries can be tricky. They can lead to over injuries (like an Achilles issue) if you don’t take care of them. Better to rest him and let him recover than to try to rush him back.

You guys worry too much.  Remember when everyone panicked last year that he was going to miss the season with Covid?

Anyways Soto reminds me of when I owned Miguel Cabrera some years ago when he was awesome.  I was in H2H league, getting my butt crushed by the opposing team going into the weekend.  Miggy exploded for like 6 Hrs and 20 Rbis on the weekend, giving rise to my personal saying "you are never fully out of it when you have Miggy on your team".

Well "you are never fully out of it when you got Soto on your team".

Edited by KingJoffrey
  • Like 6
On 3/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, rabaak said:

As another example of a slight calf injury, in basketball, see Kevin Love. He has played maybe 4 games all year after a calf injury in December.  Nobody saw that coming and he is still having issues.  

So hopefully they are only being cautious with Soto. But calf injuries can be tricky.

Everyone that knows anything about the NBA saw it coming.  Kevin Love’s response to any type of injury is a unique kind of “soft”.  I would not compare a young Soto to an injury prone 32-yo veteran big man.  

Fears of Soto nursing a lingering calf injury during ST and torpedoing his chances of accumulating SB’s over a 6 month long season seem overblown, imo.  Maybe he isn’t running aggressively the first couple of weeks.  I can live with that, and still see him as a top-4 pick in any format.  

25 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

You guys worry too much.  Remember when everyone panicked last year that he was going to miss the season with Covid?

I can say, without any hint of irony or facetiousness whatsoever, that absolutely nothing involving fantasy baseball caused me the slightest bit of worry, panic, or even concern in 2020.  

My mind was elsewhere.  

8 hours ago, Overlord said:

I can say, without any hint of irony or facetiousness whatsoever, that absolutely nothing involving fantasy baseball caused me the slightest bit of worry, panic, or even concern in 2020.  

My mind was elsewhere.  

Well yeah I mean it’s only baseball. Maybe a little bit of money involved.  But sometimes distractions become more important under duress.

Seems to be a legitimate base stealing threat. Every time he's been on the past few games, the pitcher is throwing over constantly and yes, 1 SB for today.  Also helps to reassure that his calf injury is not bothersome.

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

We are about to witness an all time great season in real time.  Fasten your seatbelts 

Better then this?: 476 ABs, 129 R, 156 H, 32 Dbls, 2 Tbls, 73 Hrs, 137 Rbi, 13 Sbs, 177 bb, .328 ave, .515 OBP, .863 Slg, 1.379 OPS sign me up.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, mks said:

Better then this?: 476 ABs, 129 R, 156 H, 32 Dbls, 2 Tbls, 73 Hrs, 137 Rbi, 13 Sbs, 177 bb, .328 ave, .515 OBP, .863 Slg, 1.379 OPS sign me up.

ed9d12a7-af79-4faf-8161-0c7739ce698f-lar

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, jb_power said:

ed9d12a7-af79-4faf-8161-0c7739ce698f-lar

I dont care what caused that season. Clearly those don't make everyone do things like that. Or there'd have been several more.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, hard1 said:

I dont care what caused that season

Soto  - age 22; 

Bonds - cheater with an enlarged skull and pea sized sack.  

Even if Bonds has slightly better numbers, Soto is still winning and it is not close. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

We are about to witness an all time great season in real time.  Fasten your seatbelts 

OK then lets see SOTO do this at least from a non roid era player: 622 abs 109 rs 205 h, 40 dbls 44 hrs 139 rbi 4 sb .330 ba 393 obp .606 slg .999 ops

Thats Miguel Cabrera's 2012 Triple crown season. Soto has a lot of work to do to beat this. I will be rooting him thou Love Me some Soto.

2 hours ago, mks said:

OK then lets see SOTO do this at least from a non roid era player: 622 abs 109 rs 205 h, 40 dbls 44 hrs 139 rbi 4 sb .330 ba 393 obp .606 slg .999 ops

Thats Miguel Cabrera's 2012 Triple crown season. Soto has a lot of work to do to beat this. I will be rooting him thou Love Me some Soto.

Lol, wut?

You are trying to create an argument where their isn’t one.  
Soto can have a great season and not be compared to a HOF’ers best season. That was a ridiculous comparison to make. 

2 hours ago, mks said:

He's pretty much already projected to beat that. Zips 2021 (age 22 season):

528 abs, 122 rs, 161 h, 34 dbls, 37 hrs, 141 rbi, 16 sb .305 ba, .420 obp, .595 slg, 1.015 ops.

For reference, Miggy had 697 PA compared to Soto's projected 640 PA which is dragging down his totals. Ted Williams is his top Zips comp.

20 minutes ago, Smallball said:

Lol, wut?

You are trying to create an argument where their isn’t one.  
Soto can have a great season and not be compared to a HOF’ers best season. That was a ridiculous comparison to make. 

I am just putting up numbers from other historicial seasons has a brometer for what Soto needs to match for him to have a historicial season himself. Not trying to start a arguement at all.  Historicial season is the key word here so he must match them. I pray Soto hits  the 120-40-120 15 .320 level of production this year. please

39 minutes ago, mks said:

I am just putting up numbers from other historicial seasons has a brometer for what Soto needs to match for him to have a historicial season himself. Not trying to start a arguement at all.  Historicial season is the key word here so he must match them. I pray Soto hits  the 120-40-120 15 .320 level of production this year. please

Again, you’ve missed the plot. So I’ll help then drop it. 
When people are talking about Soto and historical seasons, they are doing so comparing him to other 22 year olds at the mlb level. 
Hope that clears it up.