NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juan Soto 2021 Outlook

Hanghow

Just now, charger_ss24 said:

Sounding like a great buy low target. Folks may not bite with the investment made in him though.

Yeah despite the doom and gloom in this thread, I bet there won't too much a discount.  Sometimes a trade involving another disappointing stud like Betts works if both parties want to try their luck with someone different. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Sounding like a great buy low target. Folks may not bite with the investment made in him though.

Nobody is selling Juan Soto at a discount.  Owners would rather go down with the ship.

• Like 3

If you're not a bit concerned, you're in denial. Yeah yeah his statcast page is all red... have you looked at his fangraphs page? Teams are shifting him twice as often as last year, he has the seventh highest ground ball rate in the majors and pitchers are coming in the zone against him more than they have since his rookie year because they're not afraid of him (or at least as afraid as they have been). Whether he's still hurt or it's a swing issue to iron out, there is something wrong here; he hasn't been the same guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

If you're not a bit concerned, you're in denial. Yeah yeah his statcast page is all red... have you looked at his fangraphs page? Teams are shifting him twice as often as last year, he has the seventh highest ground ball rate in the majors and pitchers are coming in the zone against him more than they have since his rookie year because they're not afraid of him (or at least as afraid as they have been). Whether he's still hurt or it's a swing issue to iron out, there is something wrong here; he hasn't been the same guy.

He hasn't really been a bad hitter, he's actually been quite good, just not super elite. The power is down for now, and you're right, maybe he's hurt, but I'd still rather have him in my lineup every week than sell him for less than really good talent.  He's not super far off from the hitter he was in 2019, even if the HR total doesn't match. 2020 was a crazy year and he was crazy hot for 59 games with a little luck on his side too.  I don't own any shares, but I wouldn't be too concerned if I have him, even if he's been a disappointment relative to ADP thus far.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

He hasn't really been a bad hitter, he's actually been quite good, just not super elite. The power is down for now, and you're right, maybe he's hurt, but I'd still rather have him in my lineup every week than sell him for less than really good talent.  He's not super far off from the hitter he was in 2019, even if the HR total doesn't match. 2020 was a crazy year and he was crazy hot for 59 games with a little luck on his side too.  I don't own any shares, but I wouldn't be too concerned if I have him, even if he's been a disappointment relative to ADP thus far.

Noticed he hasn't played any LF compared to previous years. Do you think maybe he feels less comfortable playing in RF?

22 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Noticed he hasn't played any LF compared to previous years. Do you think maybe he feels less comfortable playing in RF?

I honestly don’t think that’s it

Today is the end for me for a while.  I have too many other options at OF (Including Schwarber) to keep trotting out Soto with his cramped batting stance 10 ft away from the plate and weird batters box antics.  How bout just hitting the ball Juan?

Edited by Ron7Mexico

11 minutes ago, Ron7Mexico said:

Today is the end for me for a while.  I have too many other options at OF (Including Schwarber) to keep trotting out Soto with his cramped batting stance 10 ft away from the plate and weird batters box antics.  How bout just hitting the ball Juan?

Hopefully you don't miss out. The impending greatness coming.

The weird gyrations were definitely cooler when he was killing the ball. Pretty disheartening to see the Nats score 15 days worth of runs in a single game and Soto doesn’t have 1 RBI. I’ve had him since he was called up and will continue to, but the power outage is becoming concerning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

The weird gyrations were definitely cooler when he was killing the ball. Pretty disheartening to see the Nats score 15 days worth of runs in a single game and Soto doesn’t have 1 RBI. I’ve had him since he was called up and will continue to, but the power outage is becoming concerning.

In keeper/dynasty leagues I’d hold or buy low with confidence. In redraft I’m selling for whatever I can get. Long term I believe in him but I think he ends up being a massive bust this season

1 hour ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

In a keeper league would you trade away a W. Buehler type SP for him?  Love that Soto is still very young.

Think if I owned Soto in a keeper I still would not sell low on him.

Very very seriously doubt you're getting Soto for a pitcher in a dynasty/keeper. He may be having a down year, but the long-term outlook hasn't changed.

4 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

In a keeper league would you trade away a W. Buehler type SP for him?  Love that Soto is still very young.

Think if I owned Soto in a keeper I still would not sell low on him.

Yes. Soto is my #1 player in keepers and dynasties no matter the format 

I love Juan Soto; he helped win me a title in 2018, but I redafted him #3 overall this year (before Tatis) and the weak power production is starting to become worrisome. He's a great hitter no doubt, but when guys like Willy Adames are hitting for more power this late in the year I start to get concerned..is anyone else slightly worried about his future as the 30/100 guy we drafted?

12 hours ago, Redphan said:

I love Juan Soto; he helped win me a title in 2018, but I redafted him #3 overall this year (before Tatis) and the weak power production is starting to become worrisome. He's a great hitter no doubt, but when guys like Willy Adames are hitting for more power this late in the year I start to get concerned..is anyone else slightly worried about his future as the 30/100 guy we drafted?

Not at all.  1) He’s half-a-decade from reaching the prime of his career.  2) He was coming off injury in the early going, and has not gotten back to the level of production he’s proven capable of yet this year (it will come, I think).  3) The guy that is supposed to “protect” him in the LU has failed to drive him in consistently, diminishing the value of his elite OBP — that will likely improve (not sure when though).  

Also, it is not a statement about Soto specifically but I believe the sticky substance crackdown will be a boon for hitters in general.  His talent is unquestionable so it is just a matter of staying healthy imo.  

• Thanks 1

Anyone who wants to get Soto now is a prime opportunity to try to "buy somewhat low" - dangle something interesting out there to a Soto owner and see if they might bite.  I'm sure a few leagues have a Soto owner who is frustrated and would be potentially willing to bite.

• Like 1