NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juan Soto 2021 Outlook

Hanghow

3 minutes ago, Overlord said:

So when he's 27ish?

Sounds about right.

27 is when you starting selling in keepers. Is anyone saying tatis is going to have his best season at 27 or acuna will. Especially guys with SBs.

Now pitching the prime is 30 or older for many.

Check out all the best players and tell me which one is older than 27.  We can even not count SBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

27 is when you starting selling in keepers. Is anyone saying tatis is going to have his best season at 27 or acuna will. Especially guys with SBs.

Now pitching the prime is 30 or older for many.

Check out all the best players and tell me which one is older than 27.  We can even not count SBs.

With regard to time to start selling, whether or not to sell just depends on the local market.  I've been in leagues where youth is still undervalued, others where you can make a living with undervalued older players. I try to avoid absolutes when it comes to age. 

43 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I mean, that's some epic airbrushing on that photo/artwork.

Here's a photo of Juan Soto at 17.

Juan-Soto-20161001_155137-e1481776591350

That could go either way, and isn't too shocking for a 17 year old. It's not like he's Jasson Dominguez size. If you told me that pic was anywhere from 15-23 I'd believe these days. Kids are freaking huge. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

That could go either way, and isn't too shocking for a 17 year old. It's not like he's Jasson Dominguez size. If you told me that pic was anywhere from 15-23 I'd believe these days. Kids are freaking huge. 

... Juan Soto is the guy on the right.

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

So to recap, the conspiracy here is that Soto is actually significantly older than his stated age and is beginning the back half of his career, correct?

Overlord is trolling lmao there’s no conspiracy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Overlord is trolling lmao there’s no conspiracy 

i mean there are many examples of players age not being correct. from pujols, furcal, wandy, to tejada

im sure a bunch of (latin american) players are a year or 2  older. especially minor leaguers. passing a 18-19 year old off as a 16-17 is a nice way to get signed and the massive difference in talent from what a jr or senior in hs is vs what a college aged kid can do from a talent and physical point.

not that it has any fantasy impact on soto this year

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

Exactly - the age-lying bit is tired and wrong, but not relevant for redraft or even keeper purposes yet.

ya, whether hes 22 or 25 doesnt really matter.  what matters to me is my first round pick is on pace for 19 homeruns...

On 6/27/2021 at 10:44 PM, Redphan said:

I love Juan Soto; he helped win me a title in 2018, but I redafted him #3 overall this year (before Tatis) and the weak power production is starting to become worrisome. He's a great hitter no doubt, but when guys like Willy Adames are hitting for more power this late in the year I start to get concerned..is anyone else slightly worried about his future as the 30/100 guy we drafted?

Ask and you shall receive! Hopefully this is the start of a power streak we all need!

On 6/29/2021 at 12:46 AM, colepenhagen said:

i mean there are many examples of players age not being correct. from pujols, furcal, wandy, to tejada

im sure a bunch of (latin american) players are a year or 2  older. especially minor leaguers. passing a 18-19 year old off as a 16-17 is a nice way to get signed and the massive difference in talent from what a jr or senior in hs is vs what a college aged kid can do from a talent and physical point.

not that it has any fantasy impact on soto this year

I know. Danny almonte to a decent amount of pros.

48 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

I know. Danny almonte to a decent amount of pros.

Lol yes I remember the collective shock when people found out the physical freak from the LLWS had lied about his age. He's a comp for Soto???