NBC Sports Edge Forums

I feel like this season it's super hard to have a good idea as to who will be a breakout waiver wire fantasy monster. For example last year we had Devonte Graham and he basically won a lot of people leagues that got onto him early. Who are we thinking this year? The general gist of how a gem is found is a young player on a bad team with a clear path to minutes. I am looking at Dort and Bazley from the Thunder but have not much else from there.

Interested on everyones thoughts :D

• Like 2

Future "Surprise" WW pickups:*

Austin Rivers

Nerlens Noel

Marquese Chriss

Matisse Thybulle

Jaxson Hayes

DeMarcus Cousins

David Nwaba

Dwight Powell

Daniel Gafford

Larry Nance

Ky Bowman

Jakob Poeltl

*criteria: cannot be draft prospects currently

3 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Winner of Knicks point guard lottery. Thib will  use one guy close to 30 min. Problem is  to figure out who that is.  My guess  is it will be  between Payton and DSJ

Right now I am hearing it is DSJ surprisingly. We will see after the preseason games.

Nerlens Noel

1 of the Knicks point guards

Darius Bazley (or Dort or Diallo)

Richaun Holmes (maybe on waivers)

4 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Future "Surprise" WW pickups:*

Austin Rivers

Nerlens Noel

Marquese Chriss

Matisse Thybulle

Jaxson Hayes

DeMarcus Cousins

David Nwaba

Dwight Powell

Daniel Gafford

Larry Nance

Ky Bowman

Jakob Poeltl

*criteria: cannot be draft prospects currently

I feel like Nerlens Noel and Marquese Chriss aren't real candidates to be on this list for 12-teamers since they seem to get drafted at the end of the mock drafts (they get drafted in rounds 10 for a 14-team league).

I'm gonna throw in some names that are starters who could potentially be great but I'm not banking on them yet: Danuel House, Juancho Hernangomez, Lu Dort, Willie Cauley Stein, Aron Baynes, Troy Brown Jr., Derrick Jones Jr., Jae Crowder

For guys who aren't starting but might produce given their situation: Patrick Williams (if OPJ isn't healthy/doesn't fit), Deni Avdija, the Knicks PG situation (DSJ or Ntilikina can still upset Payton's chances of being consistent), Obi Toppin (not until Randle is gone/injured), Cam Johnson (if Crowder goes down)

On 12/8/2020 at 12:39 PM, rob0403 said:

Right now I am hearing it is DSJ surprisingly. We will see after the preseason games.

Nerlens Noel

1 of the Knicks point guards

Darius Bazley (or Dort or Diallo)

Richaun Holmes (maybe on waivers)

Source on DSJ starting?

15 minutes ago, DiscoNinja33 said:

Think he'll only be worth streaming.

His pathway to minutes isn't ideal.

He's already ELITE in steals

1.3 steals in 13 minutes in the bubble.

Not a category he can't contribute in. Whoever is "streaming" him isn't gonna be dropping him.

10 minutes ago, justaguy said:

Derrick Jones Jr, Malik Beasley and Jordan Clarkson shouldn't be on most wires. Gary Trent Jr is an interesting flier, was debating on between him and DJJ and ultimately went with the sure fire starter

they’re all on my wire in my competitive 12 team league?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, gregoden said:

they’re all on my wire in my competitive 12 team league?

At this early stage of the year, I much rather use my end of bench to take high upside fliers like Malik or DJJ compared to "safer" options like Barnes, Baynes, Millsap etc (presuming those are the types of guys not available on the wire in your league). If the high upside guys bust then I'd rather stream for need then trott out Harrison Barnes for 14 points per night. Malik exploded post deadline last year and if he can replicate 80% of that, you have unearthed a gem. DJJs stocks and 3s potential is tantalizing. 

The exception is Jordan Clarkson. He is boring but I think he garners 6MOY consideration this yea. Admittedly he is of lesser importance but I wouldn't leave him on the wire considering how hard it is to find points once you are past pick 120ish. If he serves no value to you, he will to a points starved team in your league at some point in the season. Flip him for value then.

Thats just my thinking anyway. 

37 minutes ago, justaguy said:

At this early stage of the year, I much rather use my end of bench to take high upside fliers like Malik or DJJ compared to "safer" options like Barnes, Baynes, Millsap etc (presuming those are the types of guys not available on the wire in your league). If the high upside guys bust then I'd rather stream for need then trott out Harrison Barnes for 14 points per night. Malik exploded post deadline last year and if he can replicate 80% of that, you have unearthed a gem. DJJs stocks and 3s potential is tantalizing. 

The exception is Jordan Clarkson. He is boring but I think he garners 6MOY consideration this yea. Admittedly he is of lesser importance but I wouldn't leave him on the wire considering how hard it is to find points once you are past pick 120ish. If he serves no value to you, he will to a points starved team in your league at some point in the season. Flip him for value then.

Thats just my thinking anyway. 

DJJ is definitely not a high upside player. The minutes will most likely be inconsistent at times with all the solid forwards the Blazers have. Heck I'd rather have Josh Richardson than him because the minutes are guaranteed to be there. Malik is in the same boat. Yes he killed after the trade, but Towns missed all of those games and Russell missed a few. Now the Wolves are healthy and have so many guards this year that it will probably limit his minutes on some nights. Even though Wolves had said they will experiment with a 3 guard lineup, I think they will eventually change their mind once they realize it's a bad idea. Plus since he only contributes in 2 cats he's not very useful. Clarkson i don't think I've even picked up as a streamer at any point over last 2 seasons. They all deserve to be left on the wire and will be waiver wire players all season most likely.