NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Waiver Wire Gems

16 minutes ago, jay_00 said:

DJJ is definitely not a high upside player. The minutes will most likely be inconsistent at times with all the solid forwards the Blazers have. Heck I'd rather have Josh Richardson than him because the minutes are guaranteed to be there. Malik is in the same boat. Yes he killed after the trade, but Towns missed all of those games and Russell missed a few. Now the Wolves are healthy and have so many guards this year that it will probably limit his minutes on some nights. Even though Wolves had said they will experiment with a 3 guard lineup, I think they will eventually change their mind once they realize it's a bad idea. Plus since he only contributes in 2 cats he's not very useful. Clarkson i don't think I've even picked up as a streamer at any point over last 2 seasons. They all deserve to be left on the wire and will be waiver wire players all season most likely.

I mean, I'm pretty sure everyone would have Josh Richardson over him. JRich was most likely drafted in competitive 12 teamers (maybe even 10s) however, while guys like DJJ either go undrafted or are taken with the very last pick.

It's all about throwing darts at potential upside and seeing what sticks. I'm big on DJJ because 1. The Blazers know that wing defense is what's needed for them to improve. 2. Only real competition is from Hood, who's coming off a torn achilles, and GTJ, who has to take on the backup SG minutes as well. Sure you won't see him play 35 mins a night but I reckon he'll get a consistent 25-30 minutes, which is still better than the inconsistent 23 minutes he got in the Heat. He was already #136 last year in 9cat - can't see why he won't break the top 100. Even better if punting assists.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Espoiral said:

I mean, I'm pretty sure everyone would have Josh Richardson over him. JRich was most likely drafted in competitive 12 teamers (maybe even 10s) however, while guys like DJJ either go undrafted or are taken with the very last pick.

It's all about throwing darts at potential upside and seeing what sticks. I'm big on DJJ because 1. The Blazers know that wing defense is what's needed for them to improve. 2. Only real competition is from Hood, who's coming off a torn achilles, and GTJ, who has to take on the backup SG minutes as well. Sure you won't see him play 35 mins a night but I reckon he'll get a consistent 25-30 minutes, which is still better than the inconsistent 23 minutes he got in the Heat. He was already #136 last year in 9cat - can't see why he won't break the top 100. Even better if punting assists.

Blazers will play Covington at SF as well. They have a lot of depth across SF/PF/C with several players who can play multiple positions. Melo is stricktly PF nowadays, and will see the court quite a bit. Zach Collins is coming back, Harry Giles has been showing out and should have a good role with his skillset for us. Then you also have Nassir Little being brought along slowly, he can see a few minutes as a defender. Rodney Hood is still a good scorer with size. 

Trent got the majority of his minutes as a SF last year actually. But it's hard to peg them currently as we were depleted, and I'm hoping we'll be able to keep Dame a bit more fresh for the playoffs this year. Olshey addressed everything but PG depth - and team are trapping Dame (he's not good at passing out of doubles/triples) and as such disrupting the offense early. I would have expected the front office to bring in a George Hill type (not him perse) to alleviate the ballhandler and bring in some size. Didn't happen, but hard to complain with the offseason the Blazers had. 

Coming back to DJJ - I like his fit as a defender and dunk spot fill in. I'm not impressed with him as a basketball player - he's not very good and acts on insticts/athleticism a lot. That can work in a system with a lot of shooters, like Dame/CJ/Covington, and is a better fit than what he was in Miami's shooting depleted line ups, but he won't play 30+mpg. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DiscoNinja33 said:

With White out for a few weeks.

Vassell should get alot of run off the bench.

7 steals in his 2 pre season games. 

Definitely someone to watch but my gut tells me Lonnie gets the minutes being the veteran over Vassell. If I'm wrong on day 1, I'll be all over Vassell.

21 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

Definitely someone to watch but my gut tells me Lonnie gets the minutes being the veteran over Vassell. If I'm wrong on day 1, I'll be all over Vassell.

I think Lonnie will get 30 minutes while White is out and Vassell 25 minutes. 

Hasnt put a foot wrong, we'll see how many minutes he gets in their final pre season game, Pop is using as a dress rehearsal. 

I'm nervous someone is going to snatch him in my league before then.

3 hours ago, tazdingo said:

I agree, Pop won't play rookies.  I don't think Vassell gets much run even with White and Keldon out.  I think it will be Walker, Patty Mills, and Rudy Gay absorbing all the extra minutes.

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

I agree, Pop won't play rookies.  I don't think Vassell gets much run even with White and Keldon out.  I think it will be Walker, Patty Mills, and Rudy Gay absorbing all the extra minutes.

- Tony Parker (28th pick) got almost 30mpg as a rookie.

- Manu (57th) got 20 mpg as a rookie.

- Beno Udrih (28th overall) got 15 mpg as a rookie

- George Hill (26th) got 17 mpg as a rookie

- DeJuan Blair (37th) got 18mpg as a rookie, also started 32 games

- Gary Neal (undrafted) got 21mpg as a rookie

- Tiago Splitter (28th) got 12mpg as a rookie

- Kawhi (15th) got 24mpg as a rookie, started 39 games

- Kyle Anderson (30th) played 12mpg as a rookie

- Johnathon Simmons (undrafted) played 15mpg as a rookie

- Bertans (42th) played 12 mpg as a rookie, started 6

Pop will play rookies when he feels they're ready to contribute and when they fit the system/needs. The 'Pop wont play rookies'  chants are old and misplaced. People need to look into what the Spurs draft, what picks they have and look at the facts.

Spurs let Forbes (25mpg) walk. Belinelli (16mpg) is gone too. White and Keldon are injured to start the season, and Vassell has alreayd looked like the best player on the floor during good stretches the past games. Pop likes him. He fits a needs (defense and shooting). He'll play him. 

Edited by perkinsfor3
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Pop will play rookies when he feels they're ready to contribute and when they fit the system/needs. The 'Pop wont play rookies'  chants are old and misplaced. People need to look into what the Spurs draft, what picks they have and look at the facts.

Spurs let Forbes (25mpg) walk. Belinelli (16mpg) is gone too. White and Keldon are injured to start the season, and Vassell has alreayd looked like the best player on the floor during good stretches the past games. Pop likes him. He fits a needs (defense and shooting). He'll play him. 

Very interesting take. I guess I'd like to see what he & Pop does once the games actually matter. Its a bit difficult to tell at the moment when Dejounte, LMA and DeRozan aren't taking the games seriously just yet. As I said, my gut is saying that Lonnie gets the starting mid but I will jump all over Vassell the second I see him get more than 25mpg.

43 minutes ago, Crazycanto said:

As always, my bold prediction is that it will be none of the guys mentioned in this thread and it will end up being either an unheralded rookie or solid journeyman who ended up getting starters minutes.  

It's going to happen lol. Every year it does without fail.

2 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

It is only fair to mention that Big Fundamental got 39 minutes as rookie. If you can play Pop will give you minutes 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jugernot said:

I'm going to add Dilion Brooks. He should get 30+ minutes and if he can waise his shooting percentage a little bit he is a steal. I got him as my last pick in a 12 team league. 

Agree on this one. He is the perfect upside type of player to draft in the last rounds. 

3 hours ago, tazdingo said:

Very interesting take. I guess I'd like to see what he & Pop does once the games actually matter. Its a bit difficult to tell at the moment when Dejounte, LMA and DeRozan aren't taking the games seriously just yet. As I said, my gut is saying that Lonnie gets the starting mid but I will jump all over Vassell the second I see him get more than 25mpg.

Lonnie actually hasn't been looking very good ever since that huge game vs the Rockets. Not sure if he'll tap into that upside anytime soon. Vassell and Keldon are brighter talents imo.

3 hours ago, Crazycanto said:

As always, my bold prediction is that it will be none of the guys mentioned in this thread and it will end up being either an unheralded rookie or solid journeyman who ended up getting starters minutes.  

I think I mentioned Devonte' Graham as early as summer 2019 a few times in a topic like this. 😉

Edited by perkinsfor3
  • Like 1