NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mason Plumlee 2020-2021 Outlook

This guy could be VERY interesting. Is presumptively starting on a bad pistons team and could see near 30 mins a game. When he played over 24 mins a game with nuggets last season he averaged 11.2 points on 63.4 percent shooting, 7.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 1.2 steals and 1.0 blocks. We could be looking at a poor mans Bam Adebayo if he can carve out minutes into the 30s. The only downfall would be his negative impact as a free throw shooter with a career percentage of 56.2%.

VERY INTERESTING, i would pick him up before the season starts as he could be fantasy gold.

• Like 2
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man just put up 8 pts, 17 reb, 2 stl, 1 blk and people are still bitching on here.   Jaysusssssss

13/9/3 with 1 stl, 1 blk, 75% FG, 87% FT Dumbass didn't even make a three, he's trash

no one's saying he's bad, but next game will be 0/0/0 on 0/0 shooting with 0 minutes

On 12/8/2020 at 2:52 AM, PaddyAustralia said:

This guy could be VERY interesting. Is presumptively starting on a bad pistons team and could see near 30 mins a game. When he played over 24 mins a game with nuggets last season he averaged 11.2 points on 63.4 percent shooting, 7.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 1.2 steals and 1.0 blocks. We could be looking at a poor mans Bam Adebayo if he can carve out minutes into the 30s. The only downfall would be his negative impact as a free throw shooter with a career percentage of 56.2%.

VERY INTERESTING, i would pick him up before the season starts as he could be fantasy gold.

The thing is, with that Nuggets squad, and with the Blazers previously, he was playing with shooters. In Detroit he has Griffin and Rose playing a different game where it's a lot of driving and ISOing. This doesnt work in his favor. I also expect the Pistons to realize their offseason signing, Grant, shouldnt be played at SF (and shouldnt be featured as much as he likes himself), and thus move Grant to PF and Blake to C.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh, you're prolly right. Guess I'll have to bank on Griffin's kneeing imploding again before Plumlee becomes remotely close to eye catching.

57 minutes ago, perkinsfor3 said:

The thing is, with that Nuggets squad, and with the Blazers previously, he was playing with shooters. In Detroit he has Griffin and Rose playing a different game where it's a lot of driving and ISOing. This doesnt work in his favor. I also expect the Pistons to realize their offseason signing, Grant, shouldnt be played at SF (and shouldnt be featured as much as he likes himself), and thus move Grant to PF and Blake to C.  

They brought him in, and PAID this 30-year old for a very specific skillset: 1) setting big, manly screens, and 2) rolling. They did this to make life easier on Killian Hayes.

So, I expect him to play exactly the same minutes as Killian, which means 30 minutes a game. In 2 preseason games, that is exactly what he has done.

If he gets that kind of minutes, he will do what he did for 2 years in Portland, 2015-17: around 11/9 and 1 stl +1 blk with 50%+ FG%. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

They brought him in, and PAID this 30-year old for a very specific skillset: 1) setting big, manly screens, and 2) rolling. They did this to make life easier on Killian Hayes.

So, I expect him to play exactly the same minutes as Killian, which means 30 minutes a game. In 2 preseason games, that is exactly what he has done.

If he gets that kind of minutes, he will do what he did for 2 years in Portland, 2015-17: around 11/9 and 1 stl +1 blk with 50%+ FG%. 

I'm inclined to believe you but the points @perkinsfor3 made are all extremely valid (assuming Casey follows the model of eventually running a 5 who can shoot 3s). If he doesn't, the best case we can hope is he runs Mason like he did JV in Toronto back in 2017-2018. The 1 steal + 1 block is a bit much but I think 1 block and maybe 0.6 steals is realistic.

21 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

I'm inclined to believe you but the points @perkinsfor3 made are all extremely valid (assuming Casey follows the model of eventually running a 5 who can shoot 3s). If he doesn't, the best case we can hope is he runs Mason like he did JV in Toronto back in 2017-2018. The 1 steal + 1 block is a bit much but I think 1 block and maybe 0.6 steals is realistic.

nah he is one of those stupid bigs that gets more steals than blocks. 1 and 1 is a good projection

I took another look at @perkinsfor3's post. It seems sensible. I agree Grant has a poor offensive game at SF. They basically have 3 PFs if you count Sekou.

So we play Mason until the wheels fall off. Who knows what will happen with Blake. 

The problem is worse than that, because Blake isn't exactly a Center either. He is basically a passing big man who can initiate from the high post on offense. But he can't play defense.

I still stand by the idea that the only one of these bigs who can play a simple pick and roll game with Killian is Mason.

1 hour ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I took another look at @perkinsfor3's post. It seems sensible. I agree Grant has a poor offensive game at SF. They basically have 3 PFs if you count Sekou.

So we play Mason until the wheels fall off. Who knows what will happen with Blake. 

The problem is worse than that, because Blake isn't exactly a Center either. He is basically a passing big man who can initiate from the high post on offense. But he can't play defense.

I still stand by the idea that the only one of these bigs who can play a simple pick and roll game with Killian is Mason.

By that logic, Blake is a better fit for the PNR setups right? That said, I just don't trust his body to hold up for the entire season anymore. I feel like he could shatter his bones after the 50th PNR he sets up in the season.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, tazdingo said:

By that logic, Blake is a better fit for the PNR setups right? That said, I just don't trust his body to hold up for the entire season anymore. I feel like he could shatter his bones after the 50th PNR he sets up in the season.

We agree. I think Plumlee sets good picks and is there to free up Killian. We will see, but I think Plumlee’s minutes are safely 28-30 minutes. 

He doesnt fit my build as I am punting Fg and TO however, I see great value in him getting 28-30 mins a night, starting, and has C/PF eligibility  (which i desperately need). I can't seem him destroying FT% on 4ish attempts. It also sounds like they want to put him in a bigger role.

Who did you have to bid against tonight, if he was available (24% owned before tonight's waivers in Yahoo)

1) Whiteside owners

2) Capela owners

3) Ibaka owners? (Zubac played 27 min and Lue said he earned those in the bubble, after the game)

4) Clarke owners?

5) Bryant owners? (Is Westbrook gonna snatch 2 of Bryants rebounds a night)

Caveat: Obviously nobody is dropping these players, but instead bench players. You can't catch up in FG% & Reb all in the last month. 

11 minutes ago, csklmf said:

Sell high. He is not even that good, not in Denver and never again 

The Denver years on his Bbref page should be ignored. His last year in Portland is the reference point now. Plus add 10% to those stats if he gets 5 more minutes. (28 min in POR to 33min in game 1 DET)

I remember watching him closely at the end of drafts (I needed a big) and thinking, "Ah, he plays for DET and has no competition for minutes at C, other than Okafor and oft-injured Blake".  I passed, remembering it's Mason Plumlee. 

He's still available, but I hope I'm not wrong about him.  I can't bring myself to drop some of the "sleepers" I have for this guy, lol.

Isn't an almost double double with 1 steal/block a game supposed to be fantasy gold?

Idk. He doesn't shoot threes, his ft% sucks, but he doesn't take much anyway so it won't hurt you that much. Same thing with Capela/Gobert. He makes that up by boosting your FG%.

He literally has 0 competition for minutes on this Detroit team. One of the safest paths to production you can get.

Was ranked 93 in 9cat in his time at Portland as a starter in 16/17. Now that he has a path to even more minutes - it's almost a guarantee he beats that rank.

I'm torn over him as well. I'm looking at a drop for Patrick Williams and he's always the first guy to come up in my mind because of how boring he seems. But then I consider his production and I'm always having second thoughts. 

8 minutes ago, MWon said:

I remember watching him closely at the end of drafts (I needed a big) and thinking, "Ah, he plays for DET and has no competition for minutes at C, other than Okafor and oft-injured Blake".  I passed, remembering it's Mason Plumlee. 

He's still available, but I hope I'm not wrong about him.  I can't bring myself to drop some of the "sleepers" I have for this guy, lol.

I think he's more of a "I messed my draft and I need bigs type of guy."So definitely don't drop anyone you think is special. He is still suited for a punt ft% team. Those dimes are sweet tho. 

23 hours ago, thrilla1nManila said:

I think he's more of a "I messed my draft and I need bigs type of guy."So definitely don't drop anyone you think is special. He is still suited for a punt ft% team. Those dimes are sweet tho. 

Yeah, heck I even passed him up on a punt FT% team and I think I could've used a C anyway.  Stupid, I know, but I'd rather just try to figure out who's gonna be good over a few games rather than just one.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Mason Plumlee 2020-2021 Outlook