NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mikal Bridges 2020-2021 Outlook

Basketball monster keeps telling me he was 35th !!! best ranked player last season (9cat total value). Is it possible ? 

Regulars season stats per 36 : 11.8 points - 0.8 b - 1.8 st - 2.3 a - 5.1 reb - 1.2 3pm - 51fg% - 84ft%

Could he be any better ? His stats with Oubre off the floor are basically identical.

And where are you taking/targeting him ? 

TNX : )

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This question seems so silly now and it’s only been 4 days lol. 

this the type of non sexy pick that is a key staple to your team. 

Didn't look as bad from the opposite angle. I don't think he hit his head at all actually. But he took a hard fall on his back/hip area and is shaken up. Hopefully nothing too serious. Update: he

4th scoring option but can still produce early rd value with12 ppg but thats with elite fg%, ft%, low t/o%

outside punt assist or team really light on stocks he kinda hard to build around when other are getting 15-20 pt scorers that chip in some decent dimes and threes. sexton white fourner ect

think ariza with less threes but more overall upside

Edited by colepenhagen

You won't and shouldn't pick Bridges in early mid rounds, where BBM projects him. His strongest categories (TO and STL) aren't scarce in later rounds and also those are probably the most volatile 2 categories. He's a perfect example of the term "glue guy". If you are struggling in steals and TOs after you build your team's core in first 6-7-8 rounds and already solid in points, he'd be a perfect fit for your team. He has a very good chance to return a solid value this season imo, but he's not for everyone.

• Like 3

The Mitch Robinson of steals. 

Yes, if he builds on his last season he'll return early-mid round value, but you shouldn't draft him there because there are more well-rounded players available at that point. Get him for cheap and you'll have an amazingly efficient source of steals on your team. 

Something tells me he takes another step offensively this year with 3rd year improvement and CP3 running the offense.

IIRC he was pretty consistent after solidifying his starting role last year and churning out beastly stocks night after night. Literally was worshipped as a RoCo-lite on these very forums.

A slight jump in PPG to 11-12ppg in a starting role isn't really out of the question. 

Targeting him aggressively 7th/8th round onwards - but then again I'm fond of punting assists.

• Like 3

I am still high on him, but the amount of hype he's been getting ever since mocks opened up is somewhat concerning towards people reaching for him.  He definitely has glue guy and "doesn't hurt you anywhere" potential, but those sorts of players have also been prone to "doesn't help you anywhere on some nights".  

Definitely would target him in the 7th round and later (80+ pick?), around the same place another heavily hyped up glue guy in OG Anunoby is going.  I had liked Mikal since he didn't have as much name value and hype as OG, but that has slowly gone away as more people started drafting.   

For those who would take him earlier, over Harris, Oubre, DeMar, Warren, or arguably over Oladipo, you must really trust him to have a massive jump. 

Usually Cam Johnson plays the other forward position. They formally call it PF.

They also have a vet Crowder which I am feeling they will play significant minute. Maybe put Cam to some SF.

Mikal looks ok but Cam or maybe Crowder will compete for playing time with him.

I took Mikal as the 129th pick. I think with the departure of Oubre solidifies him as the Suns future wing player. Crowder is just horribly inconsistent and Cam should be coming of the bench anyway so Bridges can easily slide at the 2 when Cam is in or stay at the 3 while Cam plays the 4. I’ve always thought of Mikal Bridges as a Robert Covington type player and he could definitely produce that rare 1 blk, 1 stl, 2 3’s, at a higher and more efficient rate than RoCo. Unfortunately, he won’t be a better rebounder than RoCo but everything else points toward that direction.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Usually Cam Johnson plays the other forward position. They formally call it PF.

They also have a vet Crowder which I am feeling they will play significant minute. Maybe put Cam to some SF.

Mikal looks ok but Cam or maybe Crowder will compete for playing time with him.

I'm pretty sure Mikal is locked into that SF spot. Jae Crowder probably starts at PF. He was playing tons of minutes leading up to the league shutdown and then the bubble. He's locked in for 30-35 min imo.

6 hours ago, lanyabatt said:

I took Mikal as the 129th pick. I think with the departure of Oubre solidifies him as the Suns future wing player. Crowder is just horribly inconsistent and Cam should be coming of the bench anyway so Bridges can easily slide at the 2 when Cam is in or stay at the 3 while Cam plays the 4. I’ve always thought of Mikal Bridges as a Robert Covington type player and he could definitely produce that rare 2 blk, 2 stl, 2 3’s, at a higher and more efficient rate than RoCo. Unfortunately, he won’t be a better rebounder than RoCo but everything else points toward that direction.

20 hours ago, lanyabatt said:

I took Mikal as the 129th pick. I think with the departure of Oubre solidifies him as the Suns future wing player. Crowder is just horribly inconsistent and Cam should be coming of the bench anyway so Bridges can easily slide at the 2 when Cam is in or stay at the 3 while Cam plays the 4. I’ve always thought of Mikal Bridges as a Robert Covington type player and he could definitely produce that rare 1 blk, 1 stl, 2 3’s, at a higher and more efficient rate than RoCo. Unfortunately, he won’t be a better rebounder than RoCo but everything else points toward that direction.

Mikal wouldn't be picked at 129 in a competitive league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Bridges is a litmus test for how you did with your first 5-8 picks. If you have the luxury of filling gaps with him, you know you're on the right track. Players like this you need to let come to you, don't force it.

• Like 3

I could be wrong in this but I feel like he and OG Anunoby could give similar stats with OG having slightly more upside since they're technically the 4th options on their team but OG's team is slightly more spread out system of scoring options where as Phoenix's plays are almost always going to end up with a Booker, CP3, or Ayton bucket. What do you guys think about this comparison?

5 minutes ago, Simsanityy179 said:

He has a point, Nobody likes a person on this forum talking about all the steals they’ve made in there below amateur league. 

I think it's pretty weak to try to slate someone's league for where one guy got drafted. This is fantasy basketball there are a half dozen different formats with tons of different league settings, making it extra dumb to assume this or that. 

And the guy provided a pretty insightful post after mentioning he got him at 129 where as the other dude provides zero insight criticizing the league.

• Like 2

Agree with Sriracha... I think Bridges will disappoint in H2H, you'll always want more, but he is the definition of a 9-cat roto guy--will contribute to some categories you'll be thrilled about (steals and threes) and won't hurt you anywhere... Jonas Nader called him "the next Covington" and I do think it's possible he grows into that but I guess it'd be a little surprising if he did that this year... still though I'd definitely draft him at the right price

4 hours ago, stay_woke said:

Really cool story bro. Congratulations on playing in a more competitive league than that guy 🎉

Just makes no sense to say that he was taken at 129th when realistically he wouldn't be drafted there in a normal league.

But really cool story bro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, rando said:

Bridges is a litmus test for how you did with your first 5-8 picks. If you have the luxury of filling gaps with him, you know you're on the right track. Players like this you need to let come to you, don't force it.

Exactly. Ain’t no way I was reaching for a player like Mikal. That’s what this post is about, an outlook to his 2020-2021 season. Where I drafted him made him even more valuable with all the picks I had before him.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Mikal Bridges 2020-2021 Outlook