NBC Sports Edge Forums

Malik Beasley 2020-2021 Outlook

He has a hearing on Dec 29. No idea what will happen, but I would guess the NBA will wait for some actual judgement of guilt. 

As for the actual merit of the case, it seems pretty light to me. One word against another on the "threats with a gun" charge. I dunno, but this whole thing seems overblown out of nothing. If I had to guess, it gets pled down to a simple pot possession charge. 

If that's the case, how many days can the NBA suspend him? Maybe three? A week?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, so you guys can stop discussing a player, because someone who didnt draft him felt the need to come in here and tell you guys he's not interested.

How do you compare Covid to suspension due to a felony charge? lol

-where does this leave Beasley when he returns next week? starting SG  

Posted Images

On 12/20/2020 at 2:01 AM, hornrimmed_rambis said:

He has a hearing on Dec 29. No idea what will happen, but I would guess the NBA will wait for some actual judgement of guilt. 

As for the actual merit of the case, it seems pretty light to me. One word against another on the "threats with a gun" charge. I dunno, but this whole thing seems overblown out of nothing. If I had to guess, it gets pled down to a simple pot possession charge. 

If that's the case, how many days can the NBA suspend him? Maybe three? A week?

At least six games?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_banned_or_suspended_by_the_NBA

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/12/21/timberwolves-guard-malik-beasley-pleads-guilty-to-threats-of-violence/

The Collective Bargaining Agreement states:

When a player is convicted of (including a plea of guilty, no contest, or nolo contendere to) a violent felony, he shall immediately be suspended by the NBA for a minimum of ten (10) games.

• Thanks 1

Some people need to read more clearly...... Judge isn't making him skip work but employer can still suspend an employee for misconduct........

Mon, Dec 21

Malik Beasley has entered a guilty plea for threats of violence from October charges, Shams Charania reports. 

Advice: His felony drug charges were dismissed, however. "Any potential jail, or home confinement, will not exceed 120 days and will be served at end of 2020-21 season," his attorneys said in a statement. Wolves reporter Dane Moore has been told that the NBA will discipline Beasley as well and that a suspension is imminent. When that happens and for how long remains to be seen. 

18 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/12/21/timberwolves-guard-malik-beasley-pleads-guilty-to-threats-of-violence/

The Collective Bargaining Agreement states:

When a player is convicted of (including a plea of guilty, no contest, or nolo contendere to) a violent felony, he shall immediately be suspended by the NBA for a minimum of ten (10) games.

This is disconcerting.  I wonder if there will be any leeway given it's a reduced season?

From NY Post:

The threats of violence charge will be reduced to a misdemeanor after Beasley completes probation, according to the report.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/30/malik-beasley-nba-guard-charged-with-pulling-gun-on-family/

3 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

From NY Post:

The threats of violence charge will be reduced to a misdemeanor after Beasley completes probation, according to the report.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/30/malik-beasley-nba-guard-charged-with-pulling-gun-on-family/

Just as I suspected , thx for the update.  So what now? Will the nba suspend him ?? This season or next if so?

So we know the 10-game rule is for felonies, not misdemeanors. For a misdemeanor gun charge, we are looking at maybe 3-6 games. This is a pure guess. But Darren Collison got 8 games for pleading guilty to domestic violence. This is less than that. Frankly, given the arbitrary and capricious gun law enforcement in this country, it would be wise for the NBA to go lightly.

Big picture is that we are talking maybe a week. It's pretty irrelevant for fantasy. One should evaluate him as if there is no cloud of doubt.

He started during preseason, and it looks like Rubio will come off the bench. So MB is the starting SG. Last season, after he arrived in Minny, he was #88 ranked, with 20 points and 3.5 3pms. 

In the last preseason game, he went for 18/11, with 3 3pm and a steal.

• Like 3
On 12/21/2020 at 5:14 PM, hornrimmed_rambis said:

So we know the 10-game rule is for felonies, not misdemeanors. For a misdemeanor gun charge, we are looking at maybe 3-6 games. This is a pure guess. But Darren Collison got 8 games for pleading guilty to domestic violence. This is less than that. Frankly, given the arbitrary and capricious gun law enforcement in this country, it would be wise for the NBA to go lightly.

Big picture is that we are talking maybe a week. It's pretty irrelevant for fantasy. One should evaluate him as if there is no cloud of doubt.

He started during preseason, and it looks like Rubio will come off the bench. So MB is the starting SG. Last season, after he arrived in Minny, he was #88 ranked, with 20 points and 3.5 3pms. 

In the last preseason game, he went for 18/11, with 3 3pm and a steal.

Keep in mind that he averaged 18 PPG when KAT was out of the lineup, and a couple when Russell was out. Going to be much different with KAT and Russell both healthy.

8 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Keep in mind that he averaged 18 PPG when KAT was out of the lineup, and a couple when Russell was out. Going to be much different with KAT and Russell both healthy.

Not really , look what’s Wiggins was averaging With jimmy butler..... all I’m saying is the t wolves have 3 scorers towns, russel, and Beasley and that’s about it , pretty sure he can average 18 a game this year 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Malik Beasley 2020-2021 Outlook