NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Boucher 2020-2021 Outlook

It's not every year that a playoff team dumps both their centers and doesn't make a marquee signing. Whoever wins out the starting job could end up returning massive draft day value, especially in points leagues the payoff for drafting the right guy will be huge. So who do we like, Boucher? Baynes? Both of them play enough (with Len sprinkled in too) to make neither great fantasy players?

Raptors fans where ya at? 

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a Raps fan, I find the discussion in this thread to be hilarious. Why would any Raps fan be hating on the prototypical Raptor success story? You should be rooting for the skinny guy who has

*boucher hits clutch threes*   raptors fans: BuT hE SuCkS iN rEaL liFe

Posted Images

I'm still a little wary about his opportunity here. I don't quite buy the hype like others do, but I think you should definitely take a flier on him in the later rounds just to see what happens. Last year he was more of a spark plug for Nurse and a situational type player. I'm not sure what will happen this year, but Baynes is clearly the starting C and will get the most consistent minutes there and I think it'll be a timeshare between Len/Boucher/OG/Siakam, but also depending on matchups. Will Boucher get consistent minutes? It's not really clear. I do expect him to play every game and get more minutes than last year but maybe similar fluctuating patterns like 25 min one night, 13 min the next, 20 min after followed by 10 min, 22, etc.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sharkpotato said:

I'm still a little wary about his opportunity here. I don't quite buy the hype like others do, but I think you should definitely take a flier on him in the later rounds just to see what happens. Last year he was more of a spark plug for Nurse and a situational type player. I'm not sure what will happen this year, but Baynes is clearly the starting C and will get the most consistent minutes there and I think it'll be a timeshare between Len/Boucher/OG/Siakam, but also depending on matchups. Will Boucher get consistent minutes? It's not really clear. I do expect him to play every game and get more minutes than last year but maybe similar fluctuating patterns like 25 min one night, 13 min the next, 20 min after followed by 10 min, 22, etc.

Yeah I can see that. All in all it might be worth it even if the average comes out to say 18 mpg+

• Like 1

I'm not as hot on him as I used to be after reading this yesterday:

Raptors coach Nick Nurse said on Thursday that he anticipates Aron Baynes being the team's starting center when the regular season begins. 

This news should come as no surprise, as Baynes was signed to a two-year deal after Marc Gasol came to terms with the Lakers. Baynes is worth tracking because of the improvement that he showed as a 3-point shooter in Phoenix last season. A career 32.7 percent shooter from beyond the arc, Baynes made an average of 1.4 3-pointers per game while shooting 35.1 percent last season. Those aren't great numbers, but his willingness to take those shots can give opposing teams something else to think about defensively. 

I feel like Boucher and Noel can be had close to one another and both present insane value on a per-36min basis but Baynes can actually be had much later on unlike Boucher.

2 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

I'm not as hot on him as I used to be after reading this yesterday:

Raptors coach Nick Nurse said on Thursday that he anticipates Aron Baynes being the team's starting center when the regular season begins. 

This news should come as no surprise, as Baynes was signed to a two-year deal after Marc Gasol came to terms with the Lakers. Baynes is worth tracking because of the improvement that he showed as a 3-point shooter in Phoenix last season. A career 32.7 percent shooter from beyond the arc, Baynes made an average of 1.4 3-pointers per game while shooting 35.1 percent last season. Those aren't great numbers, but his willingness to take those shots can give opposing teams something else to think about defensively. 

I feel like Boucher and Noel can be had close to one another and both present insane value on a per-36min basis but Baynes can actually be had much later on unlike Boucher.

I think it was always expected baynes would win the starting job. Boucher just needs roughly 20 minutes to produce.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think it was always expected baynes would win the starting job. Boucher just needs roughly 20 minutes to produce.

I hear you but I feel like there are better candidates to be a 10th-11th round gem than Boucher if he's stuck at that 20mpg.

48 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

I hear you but I feel like there are better candidates to be a 10th-11th round gem than Boucher if he's stuck at that 20mpg.

I think 20 mpg is his ceiling. Given how so many people have been drooling over his per 36, they're going to be massively disappointed if they expect consistent production from him. I kinda have a feeling that Nurse will jerk his minutes around again. But the potential is there. I say just take him with one of your last picks if you're keen on him. Also keep in mind that I don't know if Baynes can handle the workload that he'll be given. He's not the most durable guy and if he goes down, that's 25-28 extra minutes there that can be spread around.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sharkpotato said:

I think 20 mpg is his ceiling. Given how so many people have been drooling over his per 36, they're going to be massively disappointed if they expect consistent production from him. I kinda have a feeling that Nurse will jerk his minutes around again. But the potential is there. I say just take him with one of your last picks if you're keen on him. Also keep in mind that I don't know if Baynes can handle the workload that he'll be given. He's not the most durable guy and if he goes down, that's 25-28 extra minutes there that can be spread around.

I guess when you bring up Baynes' health history, it does make sense but it feels like a bit much if you ask me to turn a 10th round pick into one of my "droppable guys" when I feel like that pick can be such a valuable pick in locking up someone like Bazley.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tazdingo said:

I guess when you bring up Baynes' health history, it does make sense but it feels like a bit much if you ask me to turn a 10th round pick into one of my "droppable guys" when I feel like that pick can be such a valuable pick in locking up someone like Bazley.

Ah, I guess my comment was aimed more for 12 teamers. I think you can find more proven players (or young guys like Bazley like you said who are guaranteed minutes) in 10.

I love Boucher and I think he will get the minutes.

If you had me choose between him and Bazley though I would go Bazley. He passes the eye test and has potential to be a scoring threat off the dribble, shoots 3 + blocks shots. 3 and blocks are what Boucher can do too but mins on Raps have a 70% chance of happening this year. Still a risk.

Edited by rob0403

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/tor/sort/height/dir/desc

Boucher is 6'10 and 200 lbs. FVV is 6'0" and 195

Against bigger and stronger PF/C  Boucher has no chance at all. And Boucher does not pass eye test to be a starter  (or play 25+ min/night), he is best suited to the bench spark roloe. Assuming healthy roster,  at best he will get 18-22 min.

And if Baynes misses time, expect heavy dose of small ball lineup (Lowry, FVV,  Normm OG and Siakam)  that worked really well in the bubble

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/tor/sort/height/dir/desc

Boucher is 6'10 and 200 lbs. FVV is 6'0" and 195

Against bigger and stronger PF/C  Boucher has no chance at all. And Boucher does not pass eye test to be a starter  (or play 25+ min/night), he is best suited to the bench spark roloe. Assuming healthy roster,  at best he will get 18-22 min.

And if Baynes misses time, expect heavy dose of small ball lineup (Lowry, FVV,  Normm OG and Siakam)  that worked really well in the bubble

My god... Someone buy him a bag of protein powder... Is he even trying to put on weight?

• Haha 1

As a Raptor fan who has watched Boucher over the years I don’t see him ever being a starter or playing 25-28 minutes per night. The fact that he’s 27 is insane given how raw his game is. Fans have all been waiting for him to grow into his body and put on weight as if he’s 21. He’s always seemed like he’s 2 years away from being 2 years away.

He won’t soak up every single minute that baines does not play. The Raptors have a lot of options in Alex Len, OG/Pascal as the PF/C. I also expect Bembry/OG to soak up those PF minutes when Pascal rests.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

source?    I don't see anything on Raptors forums

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/.amp/news/chris-boucher-weight-gained&ved=0ahUKEwjIte_q6sjtAhWCKM0KHbN1CLsQyM8BCEwwBQ&usg=AOvVaw1mbQAMz-PDkpNwuBeS_C3J&ampcf=1

It's old news that's why. Nobody cared much about Boucher back then.

Edited by rob0403

From the perspective of a Raptors fan I was deeply disappointed tonight watching Boucher get bodied and commit the same dumb egregious fouls he's always committing....from a fantasy perspective he looked great! 4/6 from the field and 1/2 from behind the arc for a total of 9 points, 4 rebs, 2 asts, a steal, 3 blocks and a pair of turnovers, all in 14 minutes. He also picked up 5 fouls incredibly quickly. Big thing is obviously the minutes, but Len looked pretty bad and since Nurse likes his tight rotations, I think it's fair to presume Boucher is getting 18-22 minutes a night depending on the matchup. Baynes looked great and Nurse will grind him into dust with playing time, but I'm thinking more and more about spending a late pick to acquire Treboucher.

• Like 1

I was on the Boucher train as well and then i seriously thought about it for a second. Ended up accepting a deal where I land Thomas Bryant/Graham for D Murray/ Boucher. Id rather get for sure pieces then Bouchers inflated hype value. This would be the best time to trade him anyways if he doesn't live up to expectations. 

I rolled the dice with The Bouch this season. Had a choice of him or Bazley. Our league gives bench players big boost and is big on STL,BLK,3PM. Was a tough choice, but my calculations on Boucher playing closer to 20 minutes were just off the charts compared to starting Bazley. Most likely going to be a roller coast ride, but we shall see how it goes. If he works in 18 minutes per game I would be thrilled.

Its not like Baynes is a minutes monster or anything. 

Edited by JormaJormala
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Chris Boucher 2020-2021 Outlook